Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cookies on my computer

• 25-09-2010 6:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

If a website appears on my list of cookies on my laptop does that mean that site was accessed directly or could it have just been a popup on another site? Someone else has used my laptop and I'm not at all happy with the sites listed in my cookies!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

Sburke wrote: »
    If a website appears on my list of cookies on my laptop does that mean that site was accessed directly or could it have just been a popup on another site? Someone else has used my laptop and I'm not at all happy with the sites listed in my cookies!

Cookies could come from pop ups, ads / websites in iframes (a webpage embedded in a webpage) but it's probably because the site was visited directly :pac:

What kind of sites btw?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

if you have a cookie ,its usually cos the site was visited,its possible to go to a dodgey site by accident, when searching,as site names can be confusing,or ambigious,or non obvious or vague,and you might be on a site for 2 seconds and get a cookie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭RoadKillTs

its possible to go to a dodgey site by accident, when searching,as site names can be confusing,or ambigious,or non obvious or vague,and you might be on a site for 2 seconds and get a cookie.

Thats exactly I tell the missus :)

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Sburke

Thanks for that info folks. One or 2 dating sites showing up which wouldn't be a problem except it's my husband accessing them.
    One of the sites listed in my cookies folder has a list of pages in the folder - does that make sense? Like IP_Country location. I don't know enough about how cookies work to be certain the sites were visited. Was only looking for a site I had found months ago and couldn't remember it's name....a friend told me to check my cookies folder. :-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Ads for dating sites are very very common on the Internet, and as said above ads often leave cookies on the computer so advertisers can track some of your actions, like what sites your ads are seen on.

That said, the only real way to know what's happening is to talk to your husband.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭SparrowTown

Sburke wrote: »
    Thanks for that info folks. One or 2 dating sites showing up which wouldn't be a problem except it's my husband accessing them.
    One of the sites listed in my cookies folder has a list of pages in the folder - does that make sense? Like IP_Country location. I don't know enough about how cookies work to be certain the sites were visited. Was only looking for a site I had found months ago and couldn't remember it's name....a friend told me to check my cookies folder. :-(
    could they be third party cookies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Dude111

I have all 3rd party cookies BLOCKED!

You can use DISKCLEANER to clean up cookies,temp files,etc Sburke :)

http://www.diskcleaner.nl/download

Advertisement