Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

looking up cases in law

Options
  • 25-09-2010 6:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭

Can anyone direct me as to how to look up cases online. For example :
    Minister of Industry and Commerce v Pim [1966] IR 154

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

Go to www.ucd.ie/library .
    Then click on the 'subject Portals' Tab.
    Then select from the first drop-down menu 'Law'.
    Then click on journal databases.
    Sign in.
    Scroll through the databases and pick your favourite (eg Westlaw UK).
    Then, (using Westlaw UK), click on the 'cases' tab.
    Type in the details.

(I'm not having any look finding this case on Westlaw, maybe it'll be on Lexis but that doesn't seem to be working for me for some reason)

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭dynamot

Rothmans wrote: »
    Go to www.ucd.ie/library .
    Then click on the 'subject Portals' Tab.
    Then select from the first drop-down menu 'Law'.
    Then click on journal databases.
    Sign in.
    Scroll through the databases and pick your favourite (eg Westlaw UK).
    Then, (using Westlaw UK), click on the 'cases' tab.
    Type in the details.

(I'm not having any look finding this case on Westlaw, maybe it'll be on Lexis but that doesn't seem to be working for me for some reason)

Thats brilliant, thanks alot mate!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

JustCite is another great database as it searches a good few other databases in one and then gives you the links

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

I find that a lot of the search engines in those law sites are absolutely awful. It asks for the parties so I would type in 'Minister for Commerce Pim', nothing would show up, so instead I trawl through the year 1966 and low and behold there it is. Fcuk me looking up cases online is a pain in my whole study of law

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭muffinman

I find that the search on Justis is the best.. Then if i can't find it there I'll use Lexis.. After that it's anybody's guess as to where you'll find the case.. Some really backward methods need to be used at times

• Advertisement
Advertisement