Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I thought these were against the law?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Fallow wrote: »
    Just seen this below in done deal for sale.
    I thought ye needed a firearms cert for a air pistol here??

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/dogs/1585987

Illegal without a licence for an Air Pistol

The Bow is legit enough though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

Short answer, YES.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Yeah, there's no way that's even close to being under 1 joule of muzzle energy so you'd need a licence for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭ferrete

sparks is right they are legal i thy are under 1 joule of muzzle energy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

They are legal over 1 joule if you have a firearms certificate for one too :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭FOXHUNTER1

Even if it's under 1 joule it's still classed as a firearm if as it shows in the photo it fires lead pellets they are classed as ammo and can't be bought without a licence.

FOXHUNTER1 wrote: »
    Even if it's under 1 joule it's still classed as a firearm if as it shows in the photo it fires lead pellets they are classed as ammo and can't be bought without a licence.
    No, the pellets might be classed as ammo, but if the pistol was under 1 joule, it wouldn't be a firearm no matter what kind of ammo you put in it.
    (Mind you a sub-1J pistol couldn't get a lead pellet of any kind out of the barrel, let alone fire it like a normal target pistol).

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

One thing for sure that pistol wont be under 1joule.It was in its time a BSA Scorpion was the most powerful air pistol around .

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Fallow

Well, i bought the pistol and it does the job well on a 1'' thick peace of ply!
    he said i did not need a cert for it.
    Im happy, it will be very handy for my type of work with the dept of agriculture. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

My advice is, immediately, get a chronograph and a weighing scales and figure out if you need a license or not or take it to your nearest RFD and ask them to do it for you. They could also hang onto it, until you license it, if it is over the legal limit

It's not a big deal to license it if you have to.

Do you think a judge will take "the guy selling it said it was ok" as a reasonable defence?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Well, i bought the pistol and it does the job well on a 1'' thick peace of ply!
    Im happy, it will be very handy for my type of work with the dept of agriculture. ;)

Word to the wise, get rid of it, hand it into the local gardaí or destroy it.

No way you can have that without a licence, just because some dude told you you don't need a licence don't make it true.

And teh Dept of Agri will certainly not want an employee with a criminal record or an unlicenced fireamr (which it is)

Also report who you bought it off as they may have more and they need to be taken off the streets.l

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Fallow

:eek:..O...better go and ask at my local garda station then about this air pistol!
    I don't actually work for the dept of agri, but am a emloyee of FRS, that supply lads like myself for badger culling, to the dept, just thought it would come in handy.
    Thanks for the info, ill let you both know how i get on.

Vegeta wrote: »
    My advice is, immediately, get a chronograph and a weighing scales and figure out if you need a license or not or take it to your nearest RFD and ask them to do it for you. They could also hang onto it, until you license it, if it is over the legal limit

It's not a big deal to license it if you have to.

Do you think a judge will take "the guy selling it said it was ok" as a reasonable defence?
    To be honest Veg, I'd skip even the chronograph step. Any air pistol that can get a lead pellet out the far end of the barrel has more than 1Joule muzzle energy.

Congratulations Fallow, you are now in possession of an unlicenced firearm, contrary to the Firearms Acts section 2 and you've just admitted to same on a public forum that's read by the gardai and the DoJ.

If I were you, and I'd not yet taken possession of the firearm, I'd cancel the deal immediately and wouldn't even meet with the seller to discuss it - I'd want to keep a 12-foot barge pole between that pistol and myself. If you already have possession of it (and I mean physical possession, not just that money's changed hands), I'd get my backside to the local station as fast as possible to turn it in and explain the situation. If caught right now, the maximum penalty is, from section 2: on summary conviction, to a fine not exceeding €2,500 or imprisonment for a term not exceeding 12 months or both.

edit: And I'm going to close the thread there in the name of not digging a deeper hole for the OP.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement