Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need advice regarding lights please

Options
  • 25-09-2010 7:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

just wondering if there's any implications I should know about here.
    I bought a spotlight bar with 3 low energy bulbs, my original plan was to use it as a replacement for an existing light fitting.

I'm now wondering if I can safely use this spotlight fitting with a standard 3 pin plug attached and plug it into a socket as required.

All thoughts and advice appreciated, thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

the fitting is prob not designed for use as a portable appliance

the back may be exposed , no cord grip etc

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭loadz

Plugging the light in will work as it would if you used it in the ceiling. Make sure that where you terminate the cable into the light itself is safe as these wires may be easy to come in contact with, this doesn't matter as much in the ceiling you see. But as regard it working plugging it in to a socket is 230v protected by a 16amp mcb and an rcd whereas the lighting wiring is protected by a 10amp mcb only. In short it will work just as your table lamp does.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

Thanks for the fast replies.

I'm thinking of fitting the spotlight bar to the ceiling, as per normal.
    But instead of wiring it into the lighting loop, was going to tack a length of cable across and down the wall, where it would be permanently plugged in to a switched socket.

Hope this makes more sense and thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

ahh you're prob ok so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Indeed.

It wouldn't look the mae west though, OP, in fairness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

True enough, but I can tack it into the corner and the socket is partially hidden behind the microwave oven.

Again, thanks for all the comments.

Advertisement