Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Canaries, cycling end of November early December,

• 25-09-2010 7:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭

Thinking of it, so any experiences anybody. I think the 2 islands that come into question are Gran Canaria and Tenerife . Tenerife I know has the higher mountains and generally a lot of climbing. I like climbing but on road, not track.

My kind of cycling is quite back roads on a mountain bike. I live in West Kerry, we have a lot of it here.

I won't be bringing a bike with me and don't want a 100% cycling package. So a hybrid bike is what probably best suited. I don't need suspensions. So if anybody has rented anything like this down there, would like to hear.
    Thanks

🧐IMHO, God wants us all to ENJOY many,many ice-creams , 🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

i go to lanzo their is a super little bike shop on the strip in puorto del Carmon they will hire you any thing from a full pro carbon to a tandem, im sure some one will be along with the name of the shop,super place to ride also

http://www.mountainbike-lanzarote.com/index_eng.html this is it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭cunavalos

was in tenerife in december last year. i didnt arrange a cycling specific holiday but hired a bike from http://www.tenerife-training.net
    leslie is the owner and a nice guy to deal with, will deliver the bike to the hotel and collect at end of holiday free of charge.t5he hotel i stayed had no problem letting me keep bike in the room. be warned, there is no such thing as a flat road in the northern part of tenerife it is all up or down but well worth it . i have a good few routes mapped and if you need any more help give me a shout.
    i will be going back around christmas and cant wait

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭dohouch

@killalanerr : yeah I'm trying to keep things simple, just 2 islands to choose from, and then someone comes along and adds another island. Been around Spain mainland a good bit, and never seen a bike shop offering so many types of bikes as that one. It's tempting just for the bikes, try a different one every day.

@cunavalos, Yeah Teneriffe is tempting me most, but will see what else comes in.

Thanks

🧐IMHO, God wants us all to ENJOY many,many ice-creams , 🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭mtbireland

I go to Gran Canaria at least one a year and have done for the past ten years or so.... it's mountain biking though I do but would definitly go there for a holiday on the road... it's much less windy than the other Islands and the roads are all perfect tarmac... lots of climbing but also a rolling route around the outside of the Island... bike hire available from Free Motion....

more info here..

http://www.grancanariaguru.com/road_cycling_gran_canaria

all year round good weather too.... can't beat it... and cheap as chips too... nice beaches.... just avoid the center of Play De Inglas..outside of that you can't go wrong....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

Fuerteventura, Las Playitas. Good bikes for rent, very little traffic, good MB trails by all accounts, although I was road biking. Can be windy - but quieter than the other islands. I found it good value and enjoyed it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

cunavalos wrote: »
    was in tenerife in december last year. i didnt arrange a cycling specific holiday but hired a bike from http://www.tenerife-training.net
    leslie is the owner and a nice guy to deal with, will deliver the bike to the hotel and collect at end of holiday free of charge.t5he hotel i stayed had no problem letting me keep bike in the room. be warned, there is no such thing as a flat road in the northern part of tenerife it is all up or down but well worth it . i have a good few routes mapped and if you need any more help give me a shout.
    i will be going back around christmas and cant wait

hey cuna.

what are the road bikes like and how much did the rentsl cost. also where were you staying that they deliver?

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭mc2000

I was in Lanzo in Feb of this year in Puerto del Carmen, and I hired a bike in the same place [Renner bikes] that killalanerr referred to above - it's a great shop, and they've decent road bikes from good quality Alu's right the way up to all carbon thoroughbreds.

I thought Lanzorote was great to cycle in, the roads are in good nick and there's good routes in the middle, you can start from Puerto and do some nice 2/3/4hr loops with some good hills in them [albeit not as high as say Gran Canaria and Mt Teide - it's cold :eek: up at mt Teide by the way, that little bump has snow on it year round i think].

Lanzarote is also winnnnnnnnnnndy so get your wind direction right before you head out ;)

I tell you one thing - it's effin brilliant going from an Irish winter to 20+degrees, you'll bloody eat it up :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭cunavalos

funkyjebus wrote: »
    hey cuna.

what are the road bikes like and how much did the rentsl cost. also where were you staying that they deliver?

i left it late and all that was left a decathlon with a standard 53/39 chainset. to be honest the bike was grand and i had no problems with it while i was there. i just looked on the website and prices seem to have gone up a bit . IIRC for 18 days last year at xmas it cost €180 for bike hire and he will deliver and collect all around the north of the island i.e puerto de la cruz and la oratova for free.

i stayed in puerto de la cruz at hotel tenerife ving and they were grand about keeping the bike in the room. hotel was ok with breakfast and evening buffet. i booked hotel through a company ran by a former spanish 800m runner who can arrange accommodation in hotels around the island(he also arranges high altitude training camps for loads of pros and i met brajkovic, rasmussen and a few other danish pros when i was there, the day i left lampre and liquigas were arriving). the only problem is he doesnt speak a word of english so all contact is through email and google translate.

if you need any more info give me a shout

links
    bikes for hire
    http://www.tenerife-training.net/Bicycle-Bike-Hire-Rental-Tenerife/Road-Racing-Bike_Hire-Tenerife.php#fleet

accommodation options
    http://www.sportiveparadise.com/athletics.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

+1 for renner bikes very friendly and great choice of bike.Just send an email to Peter and let him know what your needs are, you could go road cycling one day and cross country the next.
    I was there twice this year and it was not windy at all.
    Heading back again in January.

Avda de Las Playas
    C.C. Marítimo 25 alto
    35510 Puerto del Carmen
    Phone: (+34) 928 510612
    Mobile: (+34) 629 990755
    www.mountainbike-lanzarote.com

Advertisement