Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trad Gig scene

Options
  • 25-09-2010 8:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭

I left the gig scene many years ago but with the recession biting I was considering getting back to what I always enjoyed most! Just wondering what the paid gig scene is like for trad, folk, acoustic music?

I used to play bouzouki in a trad group many years ago, Slatterys, Meeting Place, followed that with a solo singer/songwriter career supporting the likes of Scullion, Christy Moore, Freddie White etc. like I said a long time ago!
    Followed that playing in country/blues band..Bad Bobs etc.

Maybe it's like everything else as in no money but I suppose we might as well be poor doing something we like!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Gel

Well, judging by the number of replies there is none!
    Sad!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Gel wrote: »
    Well, judging by the number of replies there is none!
    Sad!

Well I know a few people making a living doing trad gigs, but it's up to you to find the contacts. 150-200 Euro a night split between whoever is playing is the norm. Lots of pubs are trying to get customers in the door now more than ever.

This forum is quiet, check out the session.org forums and search "Dublin sessions" on facebook too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Futurecrook

I've been gigging 3 nights a week for the summer. Now that the college term has started again most of my money will come from teaching but I know plenty of people who earn their money through gigs all year round. It's just a matter of finding somewhere that's looking for musicians.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

If you're good enough, you'll pick up some gigs. What I notice is pubs don't seem to be going for the bigger bands at the moment, smaller stuff, so a 2 or 3 piece would probably have no hassles picking up some gigs. You can't go wrong with the trad stuff either. I suppose if you had trad with a bit of a twist, it might be a novelty, and make you stand out over others....

Advertisement