Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

just a few questions.....

Options
  • 25-09-2010 9:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭

1:what is the difference between a .17hmr and a .17 mach2?

2:if i apply to change a licence from a .22 to a .17 and im refused do i still keep the .22 licence?

3:when applying to change caliber can i also apply for a silencer on same application?

cheers

tommy

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

tommyboy26 wrote: »
    1:what is the difference between a .17hmr and a .17 mach2?

The .17 HMR has a bullet of 4.4mm using a necked down .22 magnum case. The .17 Mach 2 has the same 4.4mm bullet but uses a similar sized case as a standard .22lr.

.17 Mach 2 on the left and .17 HMR on the right

200px-Rimfire_17_Family.jpg

.17 mach 2 compared to the .22lr

100px-Rimfire_17HM2_22LR.jpg
    2:if i apply to change a licence from a .22 to a .17 and im refused do i still keep the .22 licence?

Yes. You can apply in 3 ways.
    • Apply for the .17 as another rifle and as a brand new application.
    • Apply to substitute the .22 for a .17, but this will be down to your Super/FO as to whether you can do a substitution.
    • Apply for the .17 as a new application (FCA1) and cancel the .22lr if trading or selling (FCA2).
    3:when applying to change caliber can i also apply for a silencer on same application?

Yes. My father when substituting one of his rifles applied for a moderator on the new firearm and also an increase in ammo amount and received both. Again its Super/FO dependant, but i cannot see it being an issue.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

which .17 round is better? it will be used on range and for the odd rabbit.

tommy

No point in me trying to baffle you with bulls**t. I've never owned a .17 so i'm not the man to ask about the benefits of each one. There are lads out there with more practical experience that could answer that better. Personally i would imagine its the same as a .22lr and the .22 magnum. Same size bullet, but with the difference in cases, hence loads, one would have a greater range and knocking ability.

Why are you going for a .17 for range work. I can understand the uses and benefits of one for field shooting, but it seems an odd caliber to have if the primary use is target work.

Just an observation and idle curiosity.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

have a .308 and a .22 both target rifles that you wouldnt carry into a field. so wanted somethin to do both and i know a .22 is fine for rabbits but heard a .17 will take down a fox if i ever came across one or was i missed informed?:eek:

tommy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

I reckon the .17 Mach 2 is going to be hard to find. I have never seen or heard of anyone here with one.

If you want a bunny gun 0-150 yards and the odd fox to about 90-100 yards a .17 HMR is what ya want, especially as you have a .22lr target rifle already.

.17 HMR might be a tad expensive for target shooting especially compared to .22lr.

Only critism I have of .17 HMR is it don't like wind ;)

• Advertisement

............. heard a .17 will take down a fox if i ever came across one or was i missed informed?

From the lads i know with them they are well capable of taking a fox. If thats your aim i would consider the .17 HMR so. The .17 Mach 2 seems too much like the .22lr to me. No point having two rifles of similar abilities.

I think i'll stay quiet now as i'm really sailing into unknown waters. I'll leave it to the more experienced lads to answer any other questions as anything else i say is second hand info or what seems "right" to me.

you can buy a sako quad in .17hmr or mach 2 and conisidering buyin one..

tommy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

have a .308 and a .22 both target rifles that you wouldnt carry into a field. so wanted somethin to do both and i know a .22 is fine for rabbits but heard a .17 will take down a fox if i ever came across one or was i missed informed?:eek:

tommy

The .17 HMR is ok for a fox, although they kind of cashed in on the fame of the .17Rem which is a horse of a different colour

07fireauv5.jpg

Left to right. .17 HM2 (Mach 2), .17 HMR, .17 fireball/mach IV, .17 REM

Yes you can.

It comes in .22lr, .22 wmr, .17 Mach 2 & ,17 HMR. Need four licences but as I reckon .17 Mach 2 is a non runner and if it were me I get .22lr & .17 HMR ;)

thinkin of trading in .22 b.s.a lever action for sako quad .17. but dont know if i want to get rid of b.s.a

tommy

• Advertisement

...........although they kind of cashed in on teh fame of the .17Rem which is a horse of a different colour

How do you make that out when one is rimfire and one is centrefire :confused:

My cousin had a .17Rem for many years.

minced many a fox with it. However ammo was hard(ish) to source and now he has a .223

thinkin of trading in .22 b.s.a lever action for sako quad .17. but dont know if i want to get rid of b.s.a

tommy

I'm sure all of us here know what you're going through :(

How do you make that out when one is rimfire and one is centrefire :confused:

The .17 bit

most lads non internet Junkies just remember the numbers!

As I said the cousin had a .17Rem, his cousin went to buy one and came home with a .17HMR and thought it was the same yoke until they went out shooting one weekend and he saw the difference

current security only allows three non restricted so cant have .22 and .17:eek:

My cousin had a .17Rem for many years.

minced many a fox with it. However ammo was hard(ish) to source and now he has a .223

Had one myself, great calibre, not great in the wind though. Sweet on foxes if you wanted pelts :cool:

.223 has become very popular BUT I know of a lad who has a .17 REM for years and he has shot a lot of foxes with it :)

.204 Ruger is going to be the king of fox calibres here in the near future I reckon

current security only allows three non restricted so cant have .22 and .17:eek:

If I were you I'd get .22lr in a Quad so ;)

what is next up from .17?

tommy

tommyboy26 wrote:

Why not go for the 3rd rifle license?

ezridax wrote: »
    Why not go for the 3rd rifle license?

He has a 308, BSA* .22lr and wants .17hmr and .22lr for hunting :P

• Advertisement

Had one myself, great calibre, not great in the wind though. Sweet on foxes if you wanted pelts :cool:

.223 has become very popular BUT I know of a lad who has a .17 REM for years and he has shot a lot of foxes with it :)

.204 Ruger is going to be the king of fox calibres here in the near future I reckon

.204 probably will.

Although the price and availability of cheap (€10 boxes) will have to happen before they will take over on mass.

I know a few older chaps who only shoot foxes and ammo price is their biggest concern.

I'd be tempted to go .204 myself, however a little bird tells me a fellow boards members 6XC shot a 4" group @ 1000 this week.
    now that could be my next Calibre, If i can afford one after the next Budget :(

I reckon keep 308, buy Quad in .22lr & .17 HMR in the Varmint configuation..........sorted :D 3 x licences security level 1

Ok, i'm a bit lost so i'll backtrack a bit.

He has a .308 and .22lr. Get a Sako (if he wants one) in .17HMR while still within the current level of security (3 rifles). Later when money allows go for another barrel for the Sako.

Ye all are posting too damn fast. By the time i answer or ask something you've all asked or answered it already.

have .308 and .22 now but goin for a shotgun for clays cause handgun to much hassle so this would mean havin to change one rifle. john greene has my .308 so that leaves .22 to be changed for .17 for field and range

tommy

Keep the .308
    Sell/trade the BSA
    Buy a shotgun
    Buy the Sako in .17HMR

.................................... and i'm spent :D

Keep the .308
    Sell/trade the BSA
    Buy a shotgun
    Buy the Sako in .17HMR

.................................... and i'm spent :D

Agree except buy Quad in .22lr ;)

He wants foxes as well so the .17 HMR would be better at the longer distances (100+ yards) would it not?

He wants foxes as well so the .17 HMR would be better at the longer distances (100+ yards) would it not?

Yes ............... BUT ........................ He's be better off using shottie with BB's on foxes or God help me for saying it ............ the .308 ........ and the .22lr is better for target work on a number of fronts ;)

thought a .22 wont take a fox and would like somethin that would if i came across one so .17 it is:D

have changed my mind so much i have confused myself:D:D

• Advertisement

Yes ............... BUT ........................ He's be better off using shottie with BB's on foxes or God help me for saying it ............ the .308 ........ and the .22lr is better for target work on a number of fronts ;)

.308 will be full custom rifle when i get it back and dont fancy taking somethin that cost me a few quid into a field hunting.....

Advertisement