Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bolton Wanderers v Manchester United Match Thread 26/09/10

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

Man City fans must be thrilled with this weekends results. Good results for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,525 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    Hello, welcome to over-reaction central.

Is that a fact?
    United go into each season trying to win the league, we've been playing catch up since the second week of the season and we're only going to be contenders by being flawlee from now on and hoping Chelsea and Arsenal have more slip ups.

Nani should be delivering crosses that trouble defenders instead of easy to clear nothing balls to the opposition. To be fair, Giggs put in a couple of awful corners before he came off, but he can fall back on the excuse of being injured.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Victor McDade

Piss poor result. The annoying bit is that it's fair. Bolton did what they do well, credit to them. Could have been right on chelsea's tail but they'll be feeling pretty good atm. Feels like another 2 points dropped

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,525 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

nummnutts wrote: »
    He did set up Owen's goal, but we had more than 10 corners. Did any of them clear the near post? His dead ball deliveries are, more often than not, dreadful.

Fucking infuriatingly frustrating player.:mad:

Thats the exact point I was making.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

Man City are the real winners this week. I think people wrote them off after losing to Sunderland but at the moment they look like they have a real shot of at least making the top 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,468 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Man United man of the match vote:

https://spreadsheets.google.com/viewform?formkey=dE1CQzhqbjFHX1R1alNESUJ6TXZxRHc6MQ

As always, open to all, please be sensible with your picks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

https://spreadsheets.google.com/viewform?formkey=dE1CQzhqbjFHX1R1alNESUJ6TXZxRHc6MQ

Mitch where can I find the results of these?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭NickDrake

Hello, welcome to over-reaction central.

Clown! Three draws on the road for us. Shocking away form by us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Lads

Nani was very frustrating as usual, but there were an awful lot worse out there. The back four made individual mistakes, alot of them could have been costly.

Scholes was decent, I cant say that for the rest of them. Giggs, Berba, Rooney, Fletch all off the boil. I thought Nani did more then them in fairness

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,951 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

lshr;oaisjflbad;kfhva;og FUUUUCCCKK. Such a frustrating game to watch.

I genuinely thought Nani was our best player out there. He was the only one who seemed to have been interested and when he got on the ball, I thought we had a chance of getting something. Where is Evra of past gone?! I want him back. :(

Rooney. He's not worth having on the pitch at this moment in time. Please lad, get your head sorted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Conceding at least two goals on the road each time ain't gonna win nothing.

Very poor stuff again today.

Rooney needs to go sort his sh*t out at home and not play again until its sorted.

Evans will cost us I feel moreso than Vidic or Evra.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

I voted Nani for MOTM, only because I couldnt vote for Elmander or C.Y.Lee.

Its very easy to lambast Nani for his delivery, but christ, he was the only one trying to win that bloody game today, and he nearly did. Rooney and Berbatov were woeful, at one point Nani had the ball and looked up, I looked to see who was in the box and the two of them were walking with their heads down. The defence is so prone to lapses of concentration this season its mind blowing, never have I been so nervous of an opponents attacking players than this season.

I had Michael Owen as my 2nd MOTM, what an awful display from the team, I hope they get the hairdryer all the coach trip home. Credit where it is due to Bolton, under Owen Coyle they are far more attractive, they can play. C.Y.Lee is a great little player, there were times where I hoped we could do the oul' Rafael/Fabio switcheroo with himself and Park, who actually makes my heart sink when he comes off the bench and we are chasing the game. Wayne Rooney needs some space to sort his head out, although I doubt he will find that space in Zat Knight's pocket. Zat Knight for christ sake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

flahavaj wrote: »
    Conceding at least two goals on the road each time ain't gonna win nothing.

That's a double negative so you must think we are going to win something with the concede two goals tactic. :p

I dunno who to pick for my 3rd MOTM.

I'd pick a Bolton player if I could.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

adox wrote: »
    That's a double negative so you must think we are going to win something with the concede two goals tactic. :p

Reading back I sounded like a bad rapper with that sentence.:pac:

Just to be clear - dropping 2 points everytime you play away against beatable opposition will win you nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

mars bar wrote: »
    I dunno who to pick for my 3rd MOTM.

I'd pick a Bolton player if I could.

I picked Scholes because he wasnt ****e.

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    I picked Scholes because he wasnt ****e.

I had him as my second choice. I suppose Owen in 2nd and Scholes 3rd would be about right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

I think I went with O'Shea, Scholes aaand possibly Owen, I've a terrible memory.:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

When Rooney finally sorts his mental state, he needs to study Berbatovs technique on how to gather a simple 5 yard pass or ball control in general.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

baz2009 wrote: »
    I think I went with O'Shea, Scholes aaand possibly Owen, I've a terrible memory.:o

Jesus I thought O Shea was shocking.

I went Nani, Owen, Scholes.

That was mine too.

I thought O'Shea was fairly crap too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

In hindsight I should have went with Nani, but I was reeeeally pissed off with him at the time, I went with O'Shea cos I couldn't think of anything he did particularly badly.

O Shea was poor, so were both CBs and Evra first half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Havermeyer

Scholes, Van Der Sar, Evra.

I couldn't think of anyone really, apart from Scholes who had a decent game outfield - and the keeper wasn't really at fault for either goal. Evra offered a bit going forward second half.

I couldn't pick Nani. When you equate the amount of times he had the chance to set up others in the final third (corners, freekicks, crosses etc), and the amount of times he was actually successful, it was not a man of the match performance imo - regardless of the result.

Edit,

Had there been an option to pick a man of the match overall, a Utd player wouldn't have been in my top three.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

DazMarz wrote: »
    :D

Quiet you! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Nani was our best player. Yes he ****ed up a lot, but he ****ing wanted the ball and knew what to do with it.

Rooney needs to ****ing cop on, Macheda was far better today. Weak defending and a week central midfield hurt us today. Fergie's subs were absurd. Bringing on Owen is fine, and he made an impact, but pushign Park and Scholes into the middle meant we couldnt keep the ball for the last 15 minutes. Should have been Anderson on for Park so that we had something in the middle.

Very disappointed with the result despite Bolton away always been a tough place to go. A chance to make some serious ground on Chelsea lost, although at least we gained a point. However I think today showed, as I've been saying, that Chelsea aren't alll that they are cracked up to be and I think the title race is open, despite United's failings.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

i think united were missing hargreaves invention today!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

PHB wrote: »
    Nani was our best player. Yes he ****ed up a lot, but he ****ing wanted the ball and knew what to do with it.

Rooney needs to ****ing cop on, Macheda was far better today. Weak defending and a week central midfield hurt us today. Fergie's subs were absurd. Bringing on Owen is fine, and he made an impact, but pushign Park and Scholes into the middle meant we couldnt keep the ball for the last 15 minutes. Should have been Anderson on for Park so that we had something in the middle.

Very disappointed with the result despite Bolton away always been a tough place to go. A chance to make some serious ground on Chelsea lost, although at least we gained a point. However I think today showed, as I've been saying, that Chelsea aren't alll that they are cracked up to be and I think the title race is open, despite United's failings.
    Bit harsh putting someone on and then taking them off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Bit harsh putting someone on and then taking them off.

not necessarily

its not a personal thing, it would have been tactical rather then taking him off cause he was having a bad game, which would be totally understandable

he was needed when he was brought on, something different was needed at the latter stage of the match

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

i think united were missing hargreaves invention today!

They were also missing that piece of magic George Best gives them.

kryogen wrote: »
    not necessarily

its not a personal thing, it would have been tactical rather then taking him off cause he was having a bad game, which would be totally understandable

he was needed when he was brought on, something different was needed at the latter stage of the match
    I would much rather have brought on Anderson for giggs instead of park.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

I would much rather have brought on Anderson for giggs instead of park.

why?

Because then we'd have actual central midfielders on the pitch. The last 15 minutes were a joke, because we couldnt get any passes going. Park couldnt do **** in the middle and Scholes was wrecked.

I agree with PHB to be honest. Nani put in a few tackles, always wanted the ball, was involved in the two goals. I know there was 4 or 5 bad corners and one awful through ball in particular, but he tried and did an awful more on the pitch than anyone else in a United jersey today.

kryogen wrote: »
    why?
    Park is a solid player, but not the person I'd pick if I'm going all out to win a match in the last 30 mins.

Park is a solid player, but not the person I'd pick if I'm going all out to win a match in the last 30 mins.

Unless its against a footballing side and we're playing 4-3-3. But with Ronaldo gone I think we'll see very little of that formation

NickDrake wrote: »
    Clown! Three draws on the road for us. Shocking away form by us.

This is the post I was replying to.
    nullzero wrote: »
    From now on keep nani away from all corners and free kicks. His delivery has been dreadful today.
    Aside from his goal which he took well he' hasn't produced anything when we really needed it. We're missing Valencia in a big way.

Now NickDrake, how does missing Valencia tie in to United having three draws on the road?

I wasn't even commenting on the away form, I was saying he was over-reacting about Nani.

Clown.

• Advertisement

Trilla wrote: »
    Unless its against a footballing side and we're playing 4-3-3. But with Ronaldo gone I think we'll see very little of that formation
    What, Anderson can play Left wing aswell, I meant a straight swap between Giggs and Anderson, Anderson out left wing.

What, Anderson can play Left wing aswell, I meant a straight swap between Giggs and Anderson, Anderson out left wing.

I know but I recall the good games in a 4-3-3 Park played. Arsenal game springs to mind.

Trilla wrote: »
    I know but I recall the good games in a 4-3-3 Park played. Arsenal game springs to mind.
    Misread your post completely, I get what you're saying now, I would agree with you there.

But I nearly cried when I saw him lining up to come on today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Disappointing but fair result. Some players from United had shockers. Berbatov - is he going through Nani syndrome? Brilliant one week, and anonymous the next? Nani at least did come up with the goods on two occasions. O'Shea I thought had a shocker. Him falling asleep and losing his marker should have resulted in a goal for Elmander. I love Johnny but he has really disappointed of late. It's quite worrying. As for Rooney...what more can be said. He looks very troubled. It's his World Cup form. On the plus side I intend to remove him from my FPL team now so by FPL rules that should mean he plays a blinder in the next match. :rolleyes:

MOTM today imo was C.Y. Lee. I'm a big fan of the guy. I think he could well be better than Park. He's good technically and puts in a shift, just like Park.

The thing about Nani's free kicks is that while half if not more don't beat the first man, some of them result in goals. Gigg's corners imo while more consistant rarely result in goals. In our double year, we got like 6 or 7 goals from Nani's corners and frees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

nani
    scholes
    van der sar.

to be honest, outside of nani, nobody else played well. Evans at this stage is costing us games and definsively we are shocking. the amount of errors we are making from high balls into the box is shocking, most of our goals conceded are coming from not being able to defend the high ball.

to score 7 goals away form home in 3 games and not when any of them is baffling, our defence needs to wake up. rio back asap please, even brown and smalling should be given a chance, evans has taken 3 or 4 steps back this year.

• Advertisement

Le King wrote: »
    Mitch where can I find the results of these?

Sorry, only seen this now.

I haven't published the full votes apart from the Rangers game. the individual game results (Top 3 votes) have been posted in the United thread.

At the end of the month, I will do a more in depth post going through the votes.

Berbatov WILL win the player of the month though, based on the amount of points he got for the Liverpool game (which has highlighted a flaw in my planned points system.

So I am going to do a player of the month based on overall points (as planned) and one based on the number of times a player was voted 1st/2nd/3rd overall. Will probably continue to tweak the scoring as I go - big problem is the massive difference between the number of votes from game to game (Yesterdays has 20 votes at the moment, the Liverpool game had over 80)

For those who have not voted (united and non-united fans alike)...

will close the vote for this at 3pm today, so if you have not voted and wish to do so, get your vote in by then.

Voting called on this game.

Results.

Overall Vote.

1. Nani.
    2. Scholes
    3. Owen

United Vote.

1. Nani.
    2. Scholes
    3. Owen

Non-United Vote.

1. Van Der Sar
    2. Scholes.
    3. Nani and Giggs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

So I am going to do a player of the month based on overall points (as planned)

This was how i thought you were doing it in the first place.Berbatov to get player of the month because of 80 votes in 1 game seems a bit in-accurate imo. :p

Advertisement