Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Temporary home for cats for 1 year?

Options
  • 25-09-2010 9:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I was just wondering if anyone could give me some advice. Basically my fiances comapny has offered him a one year job stint in the US and I would be going with him. It would mean much more money and loads of other perks etc that we cant really afford to decline in this climate.
    The major problem and worry I have is that we have 2 gorgeous cats that we love and adore but with the quanantine etc to bring them back into ireland, we feel it just wouldnt be fair to bring them along.

We were wondering if anybody has had a similar experience and what did you do with your pets? We have a great cattery that takes them when we go on holiday but a year is far to long to be in a cage. Are there people that would foster pets for people in our situation? Family cant really take them in as they all have dogs, plus our cats are permanently indoors.

Any advice or suggestions?
    Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

Do you own your own home? The reason I ask is, if you do, would it be feasible for a family member or somebody you trust to move in with the cats whilst you are away from Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭theghost

Is there a pet passport for cats as there is for dogs?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

Hey,

I do have my own home but I live quite far away from the rest of my family. This would mean one of them moving further away from their friends and jobs, making it really quite an incovenience for them.

As far as I can tell pet passports are for within the EU only.

Thanks for the replies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭storm2811

I'm sure if you put some ads up on donedeal etc a lot of people would be willing to mind them for a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

I do know someone who went to the US for a year (they are now in their 3rd year!) and they left their cats into a boarding kennels/cattery but discussed it before hand and the cats are part of the family living in the house of these people who run the cattery.
    you could contact a few of them and see what feedback you get.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭theghost

Would it be possible to rent your home for the year and have it in the lease that the cats are to be looked after by the tenants? Otherwise, much as you love your cats would it not be better to find someone who would take them on permanently? It would be unfair on the cats to have them settle into a new home that they don't know is only for a year and then take them away from it when you come back. I'm not trying to be cruel or nasty - I've been thinking about what I'd do with my dogs if the same situation arose for me and much as it would break my heart I think a new permanent home would be best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

theghost wrote: »
    Would it be possible to rent your home for the year and have it in the lease that the cats are to be looked after by the tenants? Otherwise, much as you love your cats would it not be better to find someone who would take them on permanently? It would be unfair on the cats to have them settle into a new home that they don't know is only for a year and then take them away from it when you come back. I'm not trying to be cruel or nasty - I've been thinking about what I'd do with my dogs if the same situation arose for me and much as it would break my heart I think a new permanent home would be best.

Jesus... I'm lost for words if you're worrying about a how a cat will cope after it moving house. It will adjust pretty quickly. Unfair... ha! They'll be happy as long as they're being fed.

OP the best thing to do would be to ask family or friends to mind them for a year. They will probably end up dead if they are included in the lease and left to tenants to look after.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

Thanks for all the replies everyone! I think Im going to try see if my cattery owner will take them in her home or else knows someone else trust worthy who would.
    I asked family at the weekend if there was any possibility they could help but they all said no.
    As they are indoor cats they would adjust very quickly to a new home, sure people with cats move home all the time! and I really dont think I could give my babies up for good! Maybe if we were going away for longer it would be fairer, but ill be coming home for 2 months in the summer to prepare for our wedding so ill hopefully see them then!

Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

hm, the last time friends of ours went to the States, they asked us to mind their 2 cats for three months.
    This was 6 years ago, and we still have the blighters in our care...(love them to bits now, and wouldn't give them away again, but just as a word of warning ;-))

Another word of warning - these friends also tried to bring the cats over to the US, had the passport and all, but Aerlingus caused a lot of trouble (even though the transport was preagreed etc) - they were left at the airport, being told Aerlingus could not take the cats. Luckily, they had a family member with them who took the cats home again.

Good luck finding a good home for them!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

I was just looking for a cat groomer and came across this lady who is a qualified cat behavioural therapist and does cat sitting.
    http://www.maowcare.com/mc_alice.php

• Advertisement
Advertisement