Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A first time parent's thoughts

Options
  • 25-09-2010 9:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

Having had a baby only a few months ago, I'm fairly recent to this parenting busines. She has changed our lives so much and we absolutely love her to bits, and of course she's the best baby in the world (to us).

Occasionally though I am struck by the weight of responsibility that is now on us. Most of the time I don't think about it. For example, feeding/weaning - we are totally responsible for ensuring our child is well fed and has her nutrional needs met. Potentially, the choices we make now may affect her long term relationship with food (i.e. do I give her fruit or vegetables first).

In a more general sense, I'm wondering how much she takes in of her surroundings at this stage - does she feel safe, happy with her parents? Are we providing the right environment for her? Personally I'm very close to my parents but cannot identify my earliest childhood memory but it was all good... I don't really think it could be under a year for our daughter but who knows! I just hope that in future years whatever her earliest memory of her childhod is that it is good (i.e. not me swearing at traffic while she's in the backseat as I was unfortunately doing earlier :rolleyes:).

In a roundabout way, I'm trying to say I've no real issue or problem but just wanted to express my (only occasional) understanding of the awesome responsibility we've taken on. I don't think I have enough downtime to appreciate this every day but when I do it gives me plenty of pause for thought..any new parents feel similarly?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

My baba is 20 months old and I was more over whelmed trying to look after her as a bump then when she finally came along! Once she was in my arms I stopped worrying so much.
    She is a happy little thing so I reckon we are doing something right.
    She has been in creche for the last year but due #2 soon and will have her a home with me for my maternity leave so pretty sure I will feel a weight then.
    Will she get enough attention,will she mind mammy having another baby,will I be feeding her right?
    I think we are all just too aware that we are solely in charge of another life.
    I love it though she is amazing:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

Our little fella is 6 months and just starting to get his personality going. I wonder all those things too sometimes. But then I see him smiling and realise we are doing fine, he is happy and healthy. Enjoy it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

limelemon wrote: »

Occasionally though I am struck by the weight of responsibility that is now on us. Most of the time I don't think about it. For example, feeding/weaning - we are totally responsible for ensuring our child is well fed and has her nutrional needs met. Potentially, the choices we make now may affect her long term relationship with food (i.e. do I give her fruit or vegetables first).

In a more general sense, I'm wondering how much she takes in of her surroundings at this stage - does she feel safe, happy with her parents? Are we providing the right environment for her? Personally I'm very close to my parents but cannot identify my earliest childhood memory but it was all good... I don't really think it could be under a year for our daughter but who knows! I just hope that in future years whatever her earliest memory of her childhod is that it is good (i.e. not me swearing at traffic while she's in the backseat as I was unfortunately doing earlier :rolleyes:).

In a roundabout way, I'm trying to say I've no real issue or problem but just wanted to express my (only occasional) understanding of the awesome responsibility we've taken on. I don't think I have enough downtime to appreciate this every day but when I do it gives me plenty of pause for thought..any new parents feel similarly?

Chill out, go with the flow. Worrying if her nutritional needs are met, and her first memory being you swearing at traffic.

my first memory is from between the ages of 2 and 3 and you will find most people recall their first memory being between the ages of 2 and 3.

also nutritional needs met i take it she is an average baby with an average diet so why worry, there are parents out there with kids that are tube fed from day one and cant eat, there are others who have allergies and others that are intolerant to lactose, wheat, gluten and sugar (and so on). So please chill out don't worry , go with the flow. Your child will tell you what she likes (may not use words but you will know). I breast fed my lady for 2.5 years each time i tried her with formula she would spit it out and pull a face that it was the most disgusting thing ever.

If she is content she is happy don't worry she will cry if she isn't. I think your are worrying way too much. They say thats what first time moms do but to be honest when i was a first time mom the only time i worried is when she was sick, other than that she was happy out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Wantobe

I worried like mad with our first, but she turned out great. I didn't worry at all with our second, and lo and behold, she turned out great too. Moral of the story is I wish I'd worried less and enjoyed more our first, but it turns out that children don't care either way, as long as they are loved and nurtured. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Chicago Chick

My baby is 8 months old and he is our first too. To be honest at first I was completely overwhelmed by the responsibility that now faced us as parents and was constantly worried about doing the right thing but as the months have gone by I have calmed down and we have formed our own little routine. It will all come together and I am sure your childs first memories will be happy ones.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 limelemon

Good to hear I'm not alone in worrying like this occasionally (it is only occasionally though - generally I don't have time to think deep thoughts! :))

I'll try to relax a bit about it though, if she's happy = I'm happy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Interesting questions.

Do I have OMG moments. So yes. Only when I'm not busy. which isn't very often. Checking on them at night, or when they are sick etc.

I often think about the kids earliest memory. I have some snippets before 3 but I think mine mainly start when I went to play school.

Advertisement