Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Food Science

Options
  • 25-09-2010 9:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭

I'm thinking of putting Food science UCD as my second choice (it's around 410-440ish) but has anyone done it? What's it like? Is it mainly females that do it or is it equal? And what career can you get at the end of it? Could you be a nutritionist?! Thanks :D
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

My sister did the degree in Food Science and she seems to be doing well enough. I couldn't tell you about the specifics of employment because I'm too anti-social to ask my family members how they are and what they're doing.

Supposedly it's mostly females.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Clearl wrote: »
    I'm thinking of putting Food science UCD as my second choice (it's around 410-440ish) but has anyone done it? What's it like? Is it mainly females that do it or is it equal? And what career can you get at the end of it? Could you be a nutritionist?! Thanks :D

This question about the amount the of males / females is starting to piss me off. Who cares. I am in Social Science and there is much more girls in my course and it is no bother to me at all because there is no boy -V- girl tension. We all get on with each other and treat each other the same. OP, don't be influenced about the male / female ratio because it is your career at the end of the day and you shouldn't let something as stupid as that put you off doing a course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Clearl

Well, clearly if I'm asking the question, then I care. What's the harm in wanting to know these things before I go? If it's starting to piss you off then don't answer the question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 blad12344

I am also intersested in this course and wondering after further study, is there a way of becoming a dietician out of this degree?

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭shygal

^^^^I was reading the ucd prospectus the other day and where it gives a students insight into food science course the woman says she went on and done a MSc. in public health nutrition so yeah

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭xeroshero

Hi.

I did this course. Some stuff has changed in UCD since I left (with Horizons and all that and I know they were changing teh course when I was there to make if more tailored to suit students - there was some stuff we did taht we really felt wasn't relevant)

My first year was a general year (anima science, crop science, food science, environmental science etc all take this year together)- introduction to loadsa stuff such as - chemistry (I hadn't done chem before, this was tough enough), maths (not to taxing if you have a hang of maths at all - again just an intro/overview), econmics, physics, biology..... ah.... Can't really remember what else but don't let any of that turn you off - again these are just introductory to set you up for rest of the course.

2nd yr, gets more tailored to food science although still a cross over with other courses for about 70% of the year - introduction to food science, bit of animal nutrition, enciromental science etc etc etc

3rd yr and 4th yr get more tailored to food science and there is less and less cross over with the other courses. Food chemistry is fone in 3rd and 4th yr, human nutrition, biochemistry, fermented food, dairy science... Can'y really remember half the stuff I did!

It is a full on course, it's roughly 9-4 every day (alot less compared to some other courses) it's under the faculty of ag - which is a great faculty from a good craic/college experience point of view.

In terms of careers - I got onto a graduate programme for an Irish multinational food company, I have got great ecperience with them and I know from experience, they really like taking people from the food science course in UCD or UCC.

The course is small, about 50 started food science with me - 22 finished (most dropped out in first few months - like every course) It was about 80% girls, the split was bit better in the following year I now, about 65% girls I thin - no idea about the years after that but it generally is a girl orientated course but we all got on really well and even teh guys liked it taht way (of course they did!) Regards nutrition, you can go on to do it but more training is likely ot be needed - a masters or a year nutrition curse as teh food science course is more food based that human/body based if that makes sense?

Shout if you ahve any other questions? Although OI know this is probably too late for you all now!?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 318 ✭✭chris139ryan

shygal wrote: »
    ^^^^I was reading the ucd prospectus the other day and where it gives a students insight into food science course the woman says she went on and done a MSc. in public health nutrition so yeah

replied to your mail

Advertisement