Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Non Petersons Pipe Tobacco in Dublin

• 25-09-2010 10:05pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭

Anyone know if there are any sources for decent pipe tobacco, other than Petersons, in Dublin?

I'm thinking Sam Gawith, Rattrays and Dunhill.

Failing a source in Dublin how much can you get in off tinternet without having to pay the revenue?

Ta, and happy smoking

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Festus wrote: »
    Failing a source in Dublin how much can you get in off tinternet without having to pay the revenue?

Ta, and happy smoking
    Discussing ways of avoiding paying revenues due on imports is contra to Boards.ie policy. In other words, talk of smuggling will incur a ban.

I'd like to know of any other sources of pipe tobaccos too. I hope in the near future to acquire a new pipe and I'd love to know if it's possible to get sample packs of pipe tobaccos as testers.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Festus

OldGoat wrote: »
    Discussing ways of avoiding paying revenues due on imports is contra to Boards.ie policy. In other words, talk of smuggling will incur a ban.

As far as I understand within the EU we are entitled to import small amounts for personal use. If I am wrong I am open to correction.
    What I was wondering was how much can be legally imported from the EU, duty paid (read revenue paid, just not the Irish ones), before the revenue take an interest. I'm thinking 200g-300g twice or three times a year - is that possible?

No interest in smuggling here, only interested in decent tobacco as Petersons to my taste only produce two decent wones and a rake of tat for the tourists.

Sorry I should have been a bit clearer. I put in that as a pre-emptive before the conversation spiraled down that route. :)

OldGoat wrote: »
    Sorry I should have been a bit clearer. I put in that as a pre-emptive before the conversation spiraled down that route. :)

No worries mate. I have found a couple of websites across the UK and EU that ship the tobaccos I'm looking for. As a traveller there are entitlements for the stuff you buy abroad or in duty free and carry on your person. My concern is if you get the stuff shipped via tinternet and mail/post is it covered by the same rules?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,895 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

As far as I understand within the EU we are entitled to import small amounts for personal use.
    This relates to situations where you aren't paying Irish duty. In such circumstances you must physically transport the tobacco yourself. There aren't really any legal limits, but if you have loads of it you may have trouble being believed that it's for personal use.
    What I was wondering was how much can be legally imported from the EU, duty paid (read revenue paid, just not the Irish ones), before the revenue take an interest.
    If you aren't transporting the stuff yourself, then Irish duty is due on it, regardless of the amount or any duty you paid to the country you bought it and Irish tax must be paid before the goods reach Ireland. Revenue's page on procedure is here.
    Petersons to my taste only produce two decent wones and a rake of tat for the tourists.
    I'm almost out of De Luxe blend and thinking of trying something else. Assuming De Luxe is one, what's the other?

• Advertisement

BeerNut wrote: »
    If you aren't transporting the stuff yourself, then Irish duty is due on it, regardless of the amount or any duty you paid to the country you bought it and Irish tax must be paid before the goods reach Ireland. Revenue's page on procedure is here.
    I'm almost out of De Luxe blend and thinking of trying something else. Assuming De Luxe is one, what's the other?

Old Dublin. Completely different to De Luxe as it is not an aromatic and contains no cased tobacco. Smells like an Islay malt in the tin.
    Not for indoors if you have non smoking companions or spouses knocking around. Keep the De Luxe for those occasions if you can't find Sam Gawiths Black Cherry.

I've developed a taste for the "english" mixtures, hence looking for the blenders mentioned. I can find most of what I want when travelling but the Dunhills are eluding me at the moment.
    There are also periods when I wont be travelling and hence need a reliable source, either in Dublin or as mention via tinternet if it is possible. I'll check that link and see what's what.

The other, possibly easier, option is to ask a reputable Irish tobacconist to source it for you. Though you may have already tried that.

The other, possibly easier, option is to ask a reputable Irish tobacconist to source it for you. Though you may have already tried that.

Not yet. Not sure how Petersons might take to such a request. DCE might be a better bet. Anyone got any thoughts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 80 ✭✭miltonkrest

you could ask the lady who owns p & p barry tobacconist, stephens green (provided you're nearby) she's very helpful.

Yo Beernut - just discovered another fave

SG Balkan Flake

Not as complex as Squadron Leader but it's a flake with a latakia note that is not as overwhelming as that in Ps Old Dublin.
    Works for me.

Is there a thread here for tobacco reviews?

• Advertisement

No review on pipe tobacco yet but as a neophite pipe-smoker I'd love to read any reviews posted.

I'm working through my first tin of Old Dublin. It's definitely a more serious smoke than happy-go-lucky De Luxe. They make a good pair to alternate between.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Molloys Clondalkin

Try Foxes on grafton street two doors down from Petersons although to be honost you will find its much the same, Foxes are the Importer for Cuban Cigars into Ireland and sell to petersons Id say the pipe tobacco blends on offer are the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭BigDuffman

Foxes is a great spot, very old worldy, Celtic Mix is great winter tobbaco! Sweet easy smoke.

I heard there's a mix in Petersons called the "Christmas Mix" havn't smoked it but I believe its supposed to have hints of Cinamon + Vanilla and be quite Christmasy..anyone bought it?

So this is my haul from a recent trip to central Europe:
    tobaccos.jpg

I've only tried the Blueberry so far and love it.

I very nearly bought some Dunhill Early Morning Pipe but reckoned this is already a two-year supply for me so left it.

Eastern Europe _is_ pretty good

Got some SG Balkan Flake - excellent stuff if you're into latakia
    (actually just cleared out my supplier - no more until Easter). My current go to when checking out new equipment at the range.

Just tried their Navy Flake - almost but not quite as good as BF but apparently side stream is supposed to be excellent. Planning to check at a hunter party at the weekend (Nothing from a farm I'm told, all wild :D )

Petersons has the SG Braken Flake I believe - on the list for when I get back.

Bill Baileys Balkan Blend - can you see the pattern yet? Another decent blend for when I want a latakia hit, still be sociable and not have to mess around too much with a flake.

Also tried the SG Scottish Cut Mixture on recommendation of my supplier. He's picked up on the trend but I think I'm not a burley fan. I might try "aging" it in the oven for a few hours to see if that improves it.

can you see the pattern yet?
    I had to do a bit of back-and-forth to decode the initials, but eventually, yes.

So what are the characteristics of latakia, and is that what marks the Balkan style?

I had to do a bit of back-and-forth to decode the initials, but eventually, yes.

So what are the characteristics of latakia, and is that what marks the Balkan style?

Sorry - was a bit late posting - went into a Rolf Harris moment.

Latakia you know from Old Dublin - it's that smokey tangy spicy hit when you open the tin and when you fire up the pipe.
    It's a fire cured production method and I think most of it is coming from Cyprus now.

I'm not sure that there is a Balkan style as such. Balkan blend itself as I understand it is a variant of the English blend but with simpler or fewer ingredients - virginia and latakia predominate and if there are tobaccos that originate in the Balkan Peninsula so much the better.

Opinions do vary so the simplest way for me to think of Balkan is a simplified English with more latakia.

Opened the McLintock Black Cherry: Utterly, horribly dry and gritty. No discernible cherry character at all. Avoid.

If you want a cherry flavour go for the Sam Gawaith - Petersons have it.

A word of warning - a dedicated pipe is a good idea as it ghosts seriously. It's also quite sweet so for me its an occasional

Decent Cigar Emprorium also have a black cherry from a bulk supplier - smells very like SG

• Advertisement

I did a good solid year on a cherry tobacco I got in Poland (stripey packet; can't remember the name) and didn't have any ghost effects.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 silverhare

I've a briar I reserve for Peterson's christmas blend, which I buy rather a lot of when it's in stock. It does seem to change a little year by year, the 2010 had a touch more cinnamon than the 2009, the vanilla note's not too strong.

The 2010 summer blend I wasn't too fond of I found it cloyingly sweet and the 2010 limited edition was similarly sweet but heavy (chocolatey), luckily my christmas blend didn't run out until late August. ;)

Most of the blends in Foxes on the Green are similar to the Peterson's standards although their hibernian blend has a strong citrus note where the petersons equivalent (luxury blend?) has a hint of apple. Foxes also sell latakia on it's own for those who wish to experiment with their own blending. Unfortunately they don't sell a cask aged virginia, or didn't last time I checked.

I usually pick up what I need in Germany where there's still quite a pipe smoking culture. (Imagine a shop the size of Clery's ground floor devoted to pipes and pipe tobacco). I love a bowl of summer fruits in the morning, the christmas blend in the afternoon and a dark cherry or chocolate blend in the evening.

The Cherry blend in the 'decent cigar emporium' isn't bad, as for selection. Ireland's not the place to get variety in anything. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭thehippychippy

Hi. I'm aware that this thread is a few months old at this stage but was womdering if anyone knew what brands of pipe tobaccos are available in dublin duty free? Heading off next friday to Moldova for two weeks, working in a sanitorium, and the local shops ain't the place to find much of anything. Not sure when/if I'll get into the city either. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

01 814 4356 is the number for shopping enquiries, but I wouldn't be expecting much. I'd stock up before leaving home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭emmet the rover

dont know about duty free but i mailed petersons asking what other non petersons brands they stock and got this list back.

Westock 5 blends from the Gawith Range from the UK. These are....
    Black Cherry
    Squadron Leader
    Black xx (twist)
    Bracken Flake
    1792 Flake
    We also stock the stanard tobacco such as Condor, Mick Mc quaid, Mellow Virginia, Maltan and Clan. We have plug tobacco also, Mick Mc quaid, Yachtsman, Warrior, Velvan and Erinmore Plug.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭thehippychippy

Thank you emmet and beernut, will give them a call. Will stock up before I go just incase. I'm smoking Sunset Breeze at the mo and i really like it, there's a cherry flavour to it and the girlfriend likes the smell! win win really! Gotta say I do like a pipe of yaghtsman in the evenings. Something about cutting it, rubbing it and the whole process (and smoking it of course) that I find really relaxing for that last pipe of the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭emmet the rover

i picked up 50g plug of erinmore there yesterday for just under €18. my nose is a bit blocked up so cannot comment on flavour yet

Advertisement