Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Don't want to go to college - what do i do?

Options
  • 25-09-2010 11:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭

I dropped out of college, now I don't feel like I want to go back. I don't know what to do, i've never had a job which isnt helpful trying to find a job and all i have is my leaving cert. I'm only 19.

Do i have any options? I dont think right now that full time college is for me, i'm open to evening classes etc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭seithon

AshSmith wrote: »
    I dropped out of college, now I don't feel like I want to go back. I don't know what to do, i've never had a job which isnt helpful trying to find a job and all i have is my leaving cert. I'm only 19.

Do i have any options? I dont think right now that full time college is for me, i'm open to evening classes etc

Have you thought about taking up a trade, say finding an apprenticeship?

• Registered Users Posts: 45 maggot12345

You either need to go to college in some form-ie. part time/ evenings/weekends even
    or get a job ,any kind part-time / weekends/ evenings
    or do both. The worst thing you'd do now is nothing. It will be very hard to get up and go and do something again in the future when you may have an interest if you chose this option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭AshSmith

Yeah, I know what you mean, feel kinda lost at the moment.
    I'm out all the time trying to get work, I do want college, maybe next year, nervous to commit to a 4 year course to just find out I don't like it etc.
    Thanks anyway, I'm open to do anything right now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭ILA

You have a good few options:

Employment:
    • Retail (Sales Assistant in Dunnes, Tesco, etc.)
    • An Garda Siochana (during recruitment drives)
    • Prison Service (during recruitment drives)
    • Civil Service (start at bottom as "Clerical Officer")
    • Services Sector (Fast Food, etc.)
    Education:
    • 1 year Post-Leaving Certificate Course (Local VEC), from hairdressing qualification to personal training to business, retail or office management skills.
    • Apprenticeship/Trade in areas like Electrics, Carpentry, Plumbing, etc.
    • Lower level qualifications on offer from private trainers or FAS, ranging from a 3 day course to qualify you to work in Security to courses in Childcare, Bar Management, etc.
    • Night classes at your local VEC in everything from Maths to Gardening to Irish to Computers (ECDL and more advanced)

There's plenty of options out there, and a lot of them will allow you to retain any welfare benefits (dole, medical card, etc.) which you may be receiving or are eligable to recieve.
    There's a lot of high demand, and you may have to put effort into an interview and competing for the place on a course. But it'd be harder going for a job.

Advertisement