Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rep of Ireland v Russia - 8th/Oct/2010

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,328 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Funeral mass is over,
    Stay tuned for the burial.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

I hope Russia start to tire or something...or complacent and we work ourselves back into it.

Clutching at straws here

:(

Our positional play has been atrocious....

Hopefully it's a game of 2 halves!

Come on trap, work some magic at HT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Some one give Kilbane a shotgun....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

bonerm wrote: »
    Don't suppose we have Rocky on the bench?

Don't think so. This is our bench:

Subs: Westwood, Fahey, McShane, Long, Gibson, Keogh, Cunningham.

Doesn't instil much confidence does it? :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Dunne is having a mare

He's far from the worst out there. Plus the guy isn't 100% fit either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

I'm moving from Cobra onto the Captain Morgans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Maybe not playing into the "shít-end" of the stadium will inspire the team in the 2nd half.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Dont know what we can do to reverse this tbh. Couldve been a cricket score already. Never seen Ireland so outplayed at home in a qualifier.

Maybe an early goal from a set piece might drag us back into it, but is anyone confident that Russia have finished their scoring for the night? :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Don't think so. This is our bench:

Subs: Westwood, Fahey, McShane, Long, Gibson, Keogh, Cunningham.

Doesn't instil much confidence does it? :(

Fahey and Gibson on couldn't be any worse tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭bluefinger

KungPao wrote: »
    I hope Russia start to tire or something...or complacent and we work ourselves back into it.

Clutching at straws here

:(

Our positional play has been atrocious....

or get 2 or 3 players sent off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Jimmyboss

Gibson and Cunningham on for Whelan and Green, O'Shea to midfield with Gibson, he's played there before.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭heavyballs

Kilbaine and Aidan seem to hate each other,no talking at all ,just moaning,noticed it at the last home match where i was seated in the front row,made it much more obvious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Lads, with the players we have I think the long ball is our best tactic. We haven't the ability to pass it around like the Russians do.

Our best bet is to lump it up to Doyle, hopefully he'll knock it down to someone and we go from there. Sh1te as it is it's our best bet.

Funeral mass is over,
    Stay tuned for the burial.

Very good. :pac:
    KungPao wrote: »

We're going to be beaten in the first half, and we're going to be beaten in the second half?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭FlawedGenius

SHOCKING STUFF.
    Trap out please, sick of his selections, were not better than Russia but were not that bad either..nothing on the bench
    Get Trap out and give it to someone who can pick a team. This was always waiting to happen. KILBANE??????? WTF TRAP:(:mad::(:mad:

Dont know what we can do to reverse this tbh. Couldve been a cricket score already. Never seen Ireland so outplayed at home in a qualifier.

Reminds me of home to Spain 1993. Spain totally destroyed us that day and were 3-0 up at HT. Prob could have won 7-0 if they'd wanted to.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Bill O'Herlihy "What a BUMMER of a first half"

lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,833 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

lob on Gibson and take a chance on Cunningham
    and text Rocky someone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 765 ✭✭✭ultain

Gotta stop kicking the ball out to the Russians:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

MEH

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I have to say the studio design is shockingly bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Green is getting s schooling needs to be replaced immediatly .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

jayteecork wrote: »
    Bill O'Herlihy "What a BUMMER of a first half"

lol.

Nail on the head though!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

SHOCKING STUFF.
    Trap out please, sick of his selections, were not better than Russia but were not that bad either..nothing on the bench
    Get Trap out and give it to someone who can pick a team. This was always waiting to happen. KILBANE??????? WTF TRAP:(:mad::(:mad:

Holy God, over reaction much.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

Well that was dire. Can Ireland actually pass a fcukin ball at all? Most of these guys play in the prem but you wouldn't guess that from this match.

Paul Green is the worst player by far out there tonight, just how does he keep someone like McCarthy out of this team?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

Our midfield is shocking. Absolutely nothing coming from them. Green should never be an international footballer.

Anyone wish we'd go back to the McCarthy style? This is not a team playing to their strengths and even when he lost games under him it was decent to watch.

This game is already over.

Our midfield is shocking. Absolutely nothing coming from them. Green should never be an international footballer.

Completely agree about our midfield, it is completely devoid of anything tonight.

SHOCKING STUFF.

Can't blame Trap.

He's working with sub standard players.

Also our captain and vice captain can't even get a game with their clubs :o

• Advertisement

bonerm wrote: »
    Reminds me of home to Spain 1993. Spain totally destroyed us that day and were 3-0 up at HT. Prob could have won 7-0 if they'd wanted to.

LOL that game came into my head when they got the 2nd. Watched it at school :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

cson wrote: »
    We're going to be beaten in the first half, and we're going to be beaten in the second half?

Yes :(

I have to say the studio design is shockingly bad.

Wouldn't be a huge fan of the oul pink myself.

And lads, Whelan is worse than Green out there. Green is bad but at least I know he's playing, Whelan has been completely anonymous.

Give credit to the Ruskies as well; they are playing very well bar the odd shaky spot at the back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

whycliff wrote: »
    Holy God, over reaction much.

I wouldn't call for his head just yet personally but a wake up call like this has been coming. All the 'Trap has been getting results' comments are going to dry up if we lose and fall short against Slovakia.

Too much muck being selected who just aren't up to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

Is it me or are we as a sporting nation slow in terms of pace?

Our 4 midfielder look like they are jogging back when Russia attack. You could take all 4 midfielders off to be fair. You can't single out any of them.

The only player that we seem to have of any real class is Kevin Doyle.

Christ Akinfeev is overrated, all our chances have been his near **** ups.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭FlawedGenius

No its not, we wouldnt be losing here if we had, Andy Reid, Gibson, Coleman, Mcarthy, Cunningham, Sheridan, wed at least play better. fcuk traps system he hasnt even got us the results we failed to qualify for World Cup and we win against the minos, wooopdeedooo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Time for Trap's plan B! (whatever that is)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

So who's going to start the 'Are Trap and Ireland done?' thread?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Can't blame Trap.

He's working with sub standard players.

Also our captain and vice captain can't even get a game with their clubs :o

Not to bring it up again but he's left better players at home so you can blame Trap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭LowOdour

i dont rate gibson at all so i think fahey is the only choice. Id say he will put keogh on first...im going to cry

• Advertisement

I wouldn't call for his head just yet personally but a wake up call like this has been coming. All the 'Trap has been getting results' comments are going to dry up if we lose and fall short against Slovakia.

Too much muck being selected who just aren't up to it.

To be fair to him, Killer and Green aside you'd stuggle to really improve upon the 11 that are out there imo.

Now that doesn't account for his tactics and stubborness but anyway...

FatherTed wrote: »
    Time for Trap's plan B! (whatever that is)

That would be launching useless long balls into the opposition box and praying for a bit of luck. Oh wait....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭el dude

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 765 ✭✭✭ultain

Should put derval o'rourke up front

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

We are sh!t:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Souless

Our 4 midfielder look like they are jogging back when Russia attack. You could take all 4 midfielders off to be fair. You can't single out any of them.

He just doesnt pick any of our midfielders with pace he's happier playing 2 slow defensive mid-fielders, we've only pace on the wings, our best chance is like people said long balls or catching them on the counter down the wings when their fullbacks get forward. Lets just hope the 2nd half goes a lot f*ckin better than the 1st!

Nearly certain he wont change anything following half time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

Well look at our midfield. Three of them, Green, Lawrence and Whelan are defensive. McGeady has talent but has terrible decision making. Green and Whelan are there to break down play but haven't gotten near the Russian midfield so they're largely redundant. Both avoid the ball like the plague and Green has the touch of a rapist to be honest, passing to him is a liability.

I'd love to see Fahy in for Green, possibly Gibson on as well but I don't think he's good enough. Wish McCarthy was on the bench. Even Andy Reid would do, at least he could string together a few passes.

But I think the Russians are just far superior. We'll have to play out of our skin to get back into this game.

No its not, we wouldnt be losing here if we had, Andy Reid, Gibson, Coleman, Mcarthy, Cunningham, Sheridan, wed at least play better. fcuk traps system he hasnt even got us the results we failed to qualify for World Cup and we win against the minos, wooopdeedooo

I'd even throw Delap in there, at least there would be a bit of an attacking threat from his throws.

Sickening thing is we had a good first 10 mins and shouldve scored. Would that goal have had any bearing on what followed.....probably not

Predictions for the 2nd half gentlemen?

Score: 3-1

1st Change: 70th Minute

• Advertisement
Advertisement