Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rep of Ireland v Russia - 8th/Oct/2010

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Will you relax ffs.

Where were we before he came in? In the ****.

Where are we now? Right in the mix to qualify for our first major tournament in 10 years and just after missing out by a poor reffing decision on the World Cup.

To write off our chances already is ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

What are the chances of Gibson getting the nod I wonder.Id be hopeful that he will get a bit of game time with United before the 8th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Mark my words, these two games will be the end of our campaign. We'll be lucky to even secure 1 point from these two fixtures. The knives will be out come Wednesday morning

Consider your words duly marked :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Some will lament it but Andrews came on for Rovers at the weekend and also played 94 minutes against Man United reserves last night.

I don't rate the lad terribly much but I'd certainly prefer him starting in midfield to Green.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

This post from Mr. Nice Guy when the squad was released sums things up nicely:

Not sure if that post was correct at the time or not (what was the source) but Cillian looks to be doing alright for himself now:

http://www.imscouting.com/global-news-article/Former-Celtic-striker-Cillian-Sheridan-bags-brace-for-CSKA-Sofia-Video/10878/
    Republic of Ireland international striker, Cillian Sheridan , who came through the youth ranks at Celtic, has made an interesting career move, leaving the Scottish League to sign a three-year-deal with CSKA Sofia .

21-year-old Sheridan bagged a great brace for The Reds in their 2-0 win over Montana.

The 1.96m-tall striker has now scored three goals in four league appearances for CSKA Sofia .

Sheridan has been capped three times by the Republic of Ireland at senior level and is considered to be of the country's most exciting prospects.

CSKA Sofia are currently competing in the group stages of the Europa League in Group L against Porto, Besiktas and Rapid Wien.

Although very tall, Sheridan is also very good with his feet, has decent aerial ability and has a good technique for his size.

The game referred to there was played on Sunday AFAIK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Lemlin wrote: »
    Not sure if that post was correct at the time or not (what was the source) but Cillian looks to be doing alright for himself now:

http://www.imscouting.com/global-news-article/Former-Celtic-striker-Cillian-Sheridan-bags-brace-for-CSKA-Sofia-Video/10878/

Best of luck to him but have to say I don't rate him at all and am bemused that he's in the squad ahead of Stokes. He's nowhere near the standard required.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Lemlin wrote: »

Source here:

http://www.herald.ie/sport/soccer/rowlands-on-road-back-as-cillian-toils-2344841.html

Hopefully he can find the net more regularly as we need more options up top.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Kristian_

Really hope your wrong Johnny and I think you may end up munching those words! Lansdowne will be rocking and I think the Russian's could bottle it.
    Anyone get tickets from ticketmaster yet?
    Spartak v Zilina live on sky sports 4 now - lets see how McGeady does.

• Advertisement

And the door has also opened on a possible return to international action for Steven Reid as Ireland assistant manager Marco Tardelli was at the Emirates Stadium on Saturday to see the Arsenal-West Brom game where Reid, who came on as a sub for the last 20 minutes, was the only Irish player involved.

Reid has not played for his country since the 0-0 draw in Montenegro two years ago and earlier this year, the 29-year-old announced his retirement from the national team. But Tardelli's presence in London for the WBA game could indicate an interest from Trapattoni in coaxing Reid back.

Sounds promising.....unless he was hoping young Simon Cox would come on. If we sort out central midfield and left back we have a decent team on our hands.

Very much so..he had a shocker on Sunday. He has had plenty of opportunity..
    I'd say they will shift him on soon enough, he's nowhere near PL standard.
    And he's a sure thing for us, very worrying indeed.
    McGeady doing ok for Spartak though :)
    IMO he should be seriously considered to start against Russia
    How about a Gibson/Andrews partnership im midfield? Never going to happen but at least these two can pick a pass. Such a shame McCarthy won't get a chance.

PADRAIG Amond made a fantastic start to his Portuguese Premier League for Pacos Ferreira.

The Milford native came off the bench against Champions League side Braga with his side 2-0 down and only 35 minutes to go.

With his father Pat and brother Aaron in attendance for the debut he made an immediate impact.

“Just after he got on he pulled a great save from the keeper and in fairness the crowd seemed to like it and got in behind the team. The Braga fans got a lot quieter as well,” said Pat.

“He was introduced as Aaaamond and got a good reception. He set up a teammate to hit the post and with the crowd off their seats they scored twice.

“Padraig could have had another chance but laid it off to another player but unfortunately his shot did not work out.”

After the game the club’s director of football Carlos Carneiro ran on to the pitch and gave Padraig a big hug telling him he changed the game. Not a bad start for the first Carlow hurler to play in the Portuguese league!

Great stuff. I hope Trap is keeping tabs on this lad, the Portuguese league is a lot higher up the UEFA coefficients than the SPL (Stokes), which in turn is much better standard than the Bulgarian league (Sheridan).

Great stuff. I hope Trap is keeping tabs on this lad, the Portuguese league is a lot higher up the UEFA coefficients than the SPL (Stokes), which in turn is much better standard than the Bulgarian league (Sheridan).

Talented young lad allright, was surprised a british club did'nt move for him. It's a brave move he made, hope it works out for him.

Kristian_ wrote: »
    Talented young lad allright, was surprised a british club did'nt move for him. It's a brave move he made, hope it works out for him.

Tripling your wages to move from Sligo to Porto isn't what I'd call brave :)

gustavo wrote: »
    Tripling your wages to move from Sligo to Porto isn't what I'd call brave :)

FYI he moved to Pacos not Porto ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,430 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

We been waiting a while to beat a top seed (Holland 01) its about time we take another really.

I think it's must win game if we want to top the group.

FYI he moved to Pacos not Porto ;)

Pacos de Ferreira is a suburb of Porto ( Oporto ) :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,274 ✭✭✭✭briany

I never thought I would but I'm wanting to see Andrews start in midfield with Whelan. It worked (it could have been better ,of course) in the last campaign and I would like as many players as possible who played in the last campaign, with a couple of notable exceptions, to be playing in this campaign. Outside of having the players who are being cried out for on this board I would like the players most familiar with Trap's system and each other to be playing.

The occurs that just a point from the next two games could be the impetus that would be needed for Trapattoni to take a risk and change up his formula. Or maybe his team would take it upon themselves to play like in Paris.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Séamus Coleman called up to the squad according to MNS on facebook.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭5ForKeeps

Séamus Coleman called up to the squad according to MNS on facebook.

Confirmed on the FAI web site. About damn time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,394 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

woop g'wan Seamie!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭LeeroyJones

Source: Irish Times http://www.irishtimes.com/sports/soccer/2010/1001/1224280150633.html
    Everton’s young full-back Seamus Coleman has been called into the Republic of Ireland squad ahead of the euro 2012 qualifiers against Russia and Slovakia later this month.

The former Sligo Rovers defender has impressed for his club this season, despite their poor start to the campaign, and comes in to Giovanni Trapattoni’s squad for the first time as a result of a calf injury to Stephen Kelly.

Darren O’Dea has also been ruled out with a knee injury but not straight replacement has been named for the Celtic defender who is on loan to Ipswich Town.

Keith Treacy and CSKA Sofia striker Cillian Sheridan are both on standby for the squad having initially been named in a provisional 26-man squad last month.

Midfielder Keith Andrews is due to make his first start of the season for Blackburn Rovers against Stoke tomorrow. Andrews came on as a sub last weekend and played 70 minutes for the reserves in midweek.

Richard Dunne is available for Aston Villa after missing the last two matches with a back injury but may find himself behind James Collins and Carlos Cuellar in the pecking order for the match at Tottenham.

Ireland face Russia at the Aviva Stadium on October 8th before travelling to Zilina to face Slovakia four days later. They currently top the group on six points, ahead of Slovakia on goal difference.

Aiden McGeady will have precious little inside information to impart to his teammates ahead of the Russia game after only one of the Spartak Moscow winger’s teammates was included in Dick Advocaat’s squad and defender Sergei Parshivlyuk is unlikely to start in Dublin.

McGeady will, however, be well aware of the dangers posed by Aleksandr Kerzhakov. The Zenit St. Petersburg striker was cast into the international wilderness following Russia’s World Cup play-off defeat to Slovenia last November. But two hat-tricks in his last three club matches led to a dramatic recall from the Dutch coach as he desperately seeks to rescue the Russians’ qualifying campaign.

Advocaat’s side come into the match under severe pressure following their defeat in Moscow to Slovakia. The reaction to that shock has been predictably scathing and despite claiming he would not bow to the “frenzy in the press or speculations of the fans”, Advocaat has done exactly that.

Dmitri Torbinski and Dmitri Sychev – two of the players singled out for criticism in the Moscow sports dailies – have been cut adrift while Denis Kolodin and Alan Kasaev are also dropped. In come Igor Denisov, fit again after a foot injury, and the uncapped pair of Parshivlyuk and Pavel Mamaev of CSKA Moscow.

Tottenham’s Roman Pavlyuchenko, yet to start a competitive game under Advocaat, will be vying with Kerzhakov and Stuttgart’s Pavel Pogrebnyak for the lone striker role, while Andrey Arshavin and Alan Dzagoev should provide extra firepower from the flanks.

Republic of Ireland squad

Goalkeepers: Shay Given, Keiren Westwood, Joe Murphy

Defenders: John O’Shea, Seamus Coleman, Richard Dunne, Sean St Ledger, Greg Cunningham, Kevin Foley, Paul McShane, Kevin Kilbane

Midfielders : Keith Andrews, Glenn Whelan, Darron Gibson, Paul Green, Liam Lawrence, Aiden McGeady, Andy Keogh, Damien Duff, Keith Fahey

Forwards : Robbie Keane, Kevin Doyle, Shane Long.

Russia squad

Goalkeepers: Igor Akinfeev (CSKA Moscow), Vladimir Gabulov (Dinamo Moscow), Vyacheslav Malafeev (Zenit St Petersburg).

Defenders: Aleksandr Anyukov (Zenit St Petersburg), Vasili Berezutski (CSKA Moscow), Aleksei Berezutski (CSKA Moscow), Sergei Ignashevich (CSKA Moscow), Yuri Zhirkov (Chelsea), Sergei Parshivlyuk (Spartak Moscow).

Midfielders: Diniyar Bilyaletdinov (Everton), Igor Denisov (Zenit St. Petersburg), Konstantin Zyryanov (Zenit St Petersburg), Roman Shirokov (Zenit St Petersburg), Vladimir Bystrov (Zenit St Petersburg), Alan Dzagoev (CSKA Moscow), Pavel Mamaev (CSKA Moscow), Igor Semshov (Dinamo Moscow).

Forwards: Andrey Arshavin (Arsenal), Aleksandr Kerzhakov (Zenit St. Petersburg), Roman Pavlyuchenko (Tottenham), Pavel Pogrebnyak (VfB Stuttgart).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

the SPL [] is much better standard than the Bulgarian league.

Not according to the last 3 years' UEFA Coefficients.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Pure_Cork

Finally Coleman gets called up. Hopefully it won't be long before he gets a game.

Any chance of Stephen Ward getting called up? He could be the answer to the left-back position for the foreseeable future. It'd be great for Bohs too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭FlawedGenius

Only called up because Stephen Kelly injured, had no other option but to pick him, hel be dropped again Im sure when Kelly is back:rolleyes:

Only called up because Stephen Kelly injured, had no other option but to pick him, hel be dropped again Im sure when Kelly is back:rolleyes:

No doubt Coleman is here to stay. Hope to see McShane peddled from future squads. :)
    Not according to the last 3 years' UEFA Coefficients.

Ah, my bad. Took a brief glance at the positions and didn't pay much attention to the figures. Tell you what, Scotland's coefficient is going to be rank rotten in a couple of seasons at the rate it's going. Crashing Irish economy-esq. Wasn't that long ago Celtic were giving AC Milan and Barca a run for their money in the CL knock outs, the likes of Levski and CSKA could only dream of that.

Coleman is not ready yet imo. I saw him in the Carling Cup recently when Everton were knocked out and it typified his game really - he scored a goal but gave away a penalty and was out of position for Brentford's goal. He looks great going forward but quite suspect defensively. That's not a major worry yet because he's still young and learning his trade and I see him having major potential, but I would worry about him being thrown in for a major international. Personally I feel Kevin Foley merits a chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,173 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Coleman is not ready yet imo. I saw him in the Carling Cup recently when Everton were knocked out and it typified his game really - he scored a goal but gave away a penalty and was out of position for Brentford's goal. He looks great going forward but quite suspect defensively. That's not a major worry yet because he's still young and learning his trade and I see him having major potential, but I would worry about him being thrown in for a major international. Personally I feel Kevin Foley merits a chance.
    he more than ready.Greg cunningham played less than a full half and he got called up.seamie helped Blackpool get promoted and he still got over looked,its about time he was picked and will easily do better than some of the donkeys in the squad at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

What Mr.Nice Guy said is right though, he does seem a bit suspect at actual defending. Not saying he wont be a big player for us in a few years, but to be thrown in against Arshavin in a big big match for his international debut might not be such a great move.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

What an embarrassing midfield selection. Andrews is piss poor. As for some of the rest....:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

he more than ready.Greg cunningham played less than a full half and he got called up.seamie helped Blackpool get promoted and he still got over looked,its about time he was picked and will easily do better than some of the donkeys in the squad at the moment.

No he's not ready yet. Moyes himself has said this:
    David Moyes hopes that playing Seamus Coleman in midfield will make him a better full-back.

Having appeared as a right full-back in Everton's two Carling Cup games this season, Coleman played on the right-hand-side of midfield at Fulham last weekend.

Everton boss Moyes believes experiencing games at the highest level will be of long term benefit to the Irish Under-21 international, while it also provides an additional attacking option now.

"I hope it might help him," said Moyes at his pre-match press conference ahead of the Birmingham game this weekend.

"I am trying to find a team that can get a result. He is very good at attacking, as people will have seen, at full-back. At times his defending hasn't been maybe what we want but that will come with time. He is really young in terms of time in the Premier League.

"A lot of people were shouting that he should start in the team, rightly so because he has done well," continued the manager. "But I think people who have seen him would maybe turn round and say it is the right decision to let him develop.

"If we can find a role for him in the team playing a bit further forward then great because we are short of a right-sider."

http://www.evertonfc.com/news/archive/2010/10/01/moyes-coleman-hopes

What's the point in throwing the young lad in at the deep end in a competitive game against Russia? If he was to get a cap it should have been in one of the friendlies. Being a squad member is for the best right now.

Speaking of the right-back slot I watched Foley against Wigan today and thought he played very well. He'd be higher up on my pecking order right now, although Coleman has the brightest future long-term by the looks of things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

ABMS

Anyone But McShane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭FlawedGenius

Craig Levein persuading James Mcarthy into Scotland set up, hope we dont lose him!!:mad:

Trap will play 'twin terrors'

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/trap-will-play-twin-terrors-2361767.html

Scotland manager Craig Levein, meanwhile, says he won’t rule out another approach to James McCarthy regarding his international future as long as the Wigan Athletic midfielder still has the option of switching his allegiance to the country of his birth.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2010/1002/1224280192517.html

James was excellent against Wolves again today imo, ok Wolves were playing with 10 men for the majority of the match but he was both solid and productive throughout.
    Trap really needs to keep this lad involved, if he loses interest he may just cut his losses. He wants to play for Ireland and we really can't afford to lose him.

Craig Levein persuading James Mcarthy into Scotland set up, hope we dont lose him!!:mad:

The font of all knowledge tells me that McCarthy had made a promise to his dying grandfather that he would play for Ireland. So currently his options are to make good on his promise and maybe not get a game for the foreseeable future or get games but have broken his promise. Stuck in that catch 22, he may opt not to play international football at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

I thought he was capped at senior level which means he cant switch nationalities?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

Duff wrote: »
    I thought he was capped at senior level which means he cant switch nationalities?

He played against Brazil, I could be wrong but surely he cannot play for Scotland now??? Even though his senior republic appearance was a friendly??

Am I right in saying once you play a Senior international (be it friendly or competitive) then you cannot play for another nation?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 391 ✭✭oconnon9

Does anybody know where the family section is in the Aviva?

We capped McCarthy so end of story.

On a bright note, nice to see Jon Walters score today. Should be in the squad for Norway.

While on a sour note, Kilbane didn't get on the pitch AGAIN for Hull. Surely alarm bells must be ringing in Trap's ears? As much as we like Kilbane, sorry but a 33 year old that hardly gets into an average Championship side and plays as a midfielder 9/10 isn't even Ireland 'B' class, never mind be a first choice full back in the senior squad.

• Advertisement

I know Delap is getting on a bit, but why can't he be in the squad ahead of Paul Green? He's only a few months older than Kilbane so that argument is out the window. Most teams have worked out how to deal with his throws, yet he still makes the team regularly ahead of Whelan. And Stoke have been a solid midtable outfit for a few seasons now. :confused:

Jayob10 wrote: »
    He played against Brazil, I could be wrong but surely he cannot play for Scotland now??? Even though his senior republic appearance was a friendly??

Am I right in saying once you play a Senior international (be it friendly or competitive) then you cannot play for another nation?

I should think so. But if that's the case, why the talk of luring him back into the Scotland team? It would be pretty funny if the Scotland manager had it wrong but more likely he was simply misquoted. If he said anything at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

It says in the Irish Times article

McCarthy made his senior debut in the friendly against Brazil in March but will not be tied to playing for Ireland until he is capped in a competitive game. He has not made even a squad since pulling out of the one for the games against Algeria and Paraguay due to tiredness at the end of last season.

Bloody hell, never knew that regarding McCarthy. :eek: On Football/Championship Manager if a player has dual nationality he is tied to a country after his first senior international cap of any nature so just assumed it was accurate.

Duff was substituted today supposedly holding his leg, unconfirmed whether he has an injury or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

Bloody hell, never knew that regarding McCarthy. :eek: On Football/Championship Manager if a player has dual nationality he is tied to a country after his first senior international cap of any nature so just assumed it was accurate.

Duff was substituted today supposedly holding his leg, unconfirmed whether he has an injury or not.

Saw the game in full. There was no holding of the leg ! He just walked off, I paid particular attention to his departure !

Het-Field wrote: »
    Saw the game in full. There was no holding of the leg ! He just walked off, I paid particular attention to his departure !

Thank god for that!
    Neither Whelan or Andrews played for their clubs today.
    Robbie Keane left on the bench for spurs again.
    Not good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

Thank god for that!
    Neither Whelan or Andrews played for their clubs today.
    Robbie Keane left on the bench for spurs again.
    Not good.

Whereas Delap,Fahey,Coleman,McCarthy all did but Trap will stick with the same midfield.I'm a firm believer that International players should be playing week in week out for their clubs but obviously Trap ain't

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

Gillington wrote: »
    Whereas Delap,Fahey,Coleman,McCarthy all did but Trap will stick with the same midfield.I'm a firm believer that International players should be playing week in week out for their clubs but obviously Trap ain't

So you would leave Keane on the bench? We have 6 points from 6 but Trap has it all wrong and we should change half the team? Come on.

Just read Sean St Ledger took a heavy knock to the knee and it's heavily strapped. Hope he'll be okay, otherwise the return of McShane is looming large.

But although we all know Macca sh!ts himself against any half decent attacker, at least he must be re-building some confidence by the amount of clean sheets Hull are keeping lately. Got MOTM yesterday as well. We should be more worried about Kilbane who isn't deemed worthy of game time for them these days.

Confidence with Whelan and Andrews is bound to be frail. I really hope they can pick it up for us, these 2 games are crucial.
    If things aren't going well Trap needs to call it early and make the necessary changes.
    If given the chance I fancy McGeady to really get at the Russian's.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

Looking forward to this match :).

• Advertisement
Advertisement