Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rep of Ireland v Russia - 8th/Oct/2010

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

Ush1 wrote: »
    No he didn't, he didn't even want to regard the question of Gibson coming on.

You're right actually. My bad :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

We need James McCarthy back pronto. We have a lack of decent central options and the guy is probably the most promising player we have there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

I'd nearly start Long instead of Keane.........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

d22ontour wrote: »
    Lol you are quoting him saying gulf in class tbh.
    There is no barometer from minuscule to massive when using the term gulf in class. :o

I'm quoting him in the context that he seemed to be posturing that all that was between the sides was a bit of luck when this was far from the case. Russia were a superior [though at times flaky] side than us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

We need James McCarthy back pronto. We have a lack of decent central options and the guy is probably the most promising player we have there.

Can't see that happening under Trap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

Hopefully the comeback won't paper over the gigantic ****ing cracks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

McGeady had a good game tonight, needs to grow a left peg though and track his man(full-back) which led to the 2nd goal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

OPENROAD wrote: »
    I was wrong during the summer :)

Cmon it's October. England were shít, time to let it go. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 765 ✭✭✭ultain

O'shea had a solid game..I think next week will see a team performance matching that of the one against France in Paris, trap has a plan ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Pauleta wrote: »
    Pre Match and HT Dunphy wanted Gibson on. Now he's useless and brain dead :confused:
    No he didn't. Dunphy can't stand him. He actually specifically asked that noone talk about him!

In fairness tonight, I think I would have rathered Giles was given a jersey than the 2 we had 'playing' in the centre.

Fahey surely has to make the starting 11 next week, serious shout for Long also.

Midfield HAS to be changed, that's where I'm laying the vast majority of blame tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,328 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

whycliff wrote: »
    I'd nearly start Long instead of Keane.........

I was thinking the same,

Not gonna happen though,

Doyle and Long have played together before (I'm assuming here with the reading thing)

Long has heaps more pace than Keane,

He actually gave his all when he came on tonight!

Keane although showing some great control at times, and obviously scoring the penalty done little else, i'm assuming it is his lack of game time that has him so slow - losing that bit of pace really diminishes his game quite a bit!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

cson wrote: »
    Take off the Green speaclai; there was a massive gulf in class tonight.

Yes there was and we will probably never have a mid field like the Russians had tonight , but the back 4 for Russia ain't great .

Ireland always need a great spirit to get us places (more than others) due to a limited squad and that's something I think Trap has instilled brilliantly.
    Fair enough his player choices raise a brow but he has got more than we ever thought from these players , and it's not like the likes of Green is keeping a World class player out of the team .

We got to play with what we got and IMO have done pretty ok with a limited squad .

But to hope Ireland lose cause of a unclear peno is something I will probably never get my head around .

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

Back? He was never there bar one friendly.

He has been removed due to breaking Trap's golden rule: he's a footballer.

Not a clogger like Whelan, Green , Andrews and Gibson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

hopefully he starts the norway game and plays good enough that he cant be ignored, same for wilson.it only took green a friendly get his spot in the squad.

Crosáidí wrote: »
    McGeady had a good game tonight, needs to grow a left peg though and track his man(full-back) which led to the 2nd goal

McGeady was pretty poor tonight imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

Now we know why they built the aviva stadium so high. The fans can get closer to the action the way Ireland play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭ironingbored

Pauleta wrote: »
    That was a great last 30 from Ireland

I hope that is sarcasm. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

yabadabado wrote: »
    hopefully he starts the norway game and plays good enough that he cant be ignored, same for wilson.it only took green a friendly get his spot in the squad.

Yes but Green is Traps type of midfielder. A bad footballer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Honest talking from Dunne there.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Sorry I don't understand.

We concede 3 goals at home and lose and our main defender wins man of the match.

What gives?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Hmm, Dunne's comments very interesting. Saying we need to keep the ball as the players are knackered by kicking it long all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

d22ontour wrote: »
    Cmon it's October. England were shít, time to let it go. :p

No I meant re Dunnphy, I said he would never be as critical towards an Irish player as he would be against an English player, his comments re Gibson, clearly show I was wrong, Sorry Eamo :)

?
    Always a danger IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Jimmyboss

Let's get real here, we were outclassed by a team who took their foot off the pedal, we have NO WORLD-CLASS PLAYERS,along with a manager whose gameplan at home is safety first with 2 water-carriers in midfield- Dunne has just said that they don't feel comfortable passing the ball......WTF?????????????

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

Gulf in class as I stated beforehand, Championship reserve players like Green and Kilbane have no place at this level. And considering the rest of the team are on their arse everyweek sitting on the bench for the Premier League teams, it's no surprise.

Some guy on here beforehand never even heard of the Russian League...adox I think he was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

DB10 wrote: »
    Back? He was never there bar one friendly.

He has been removed due to breaking Trap's golden rule: he's a footballer.

Not a clogger like Whelan, Green , Andrews and Gibson.

He was played to stop Craig Levein convincing him to play for Scotland.

If he was uncapped Levein would have easily convinced him to change his mind.

I love it when it is Giles, Brady and Dunphy on the panel :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Right. Rant ahead.

Greene is ****e. Not good enough. Can't compete against any opposition midfield. Can't believe Gibson (hardly Pirlo anyway) is being kept out.

About time we started using Keith Fahey properly. It's an insult to have him warming the bench when Glen Whelan is just a statue.

Glen Whelan. Utter ****e. Disappeared tonight.

Kilbane is well past it. He's done his bit for Ireland. Thanks and swap him for Greg Cunningham please.

McGeady. Hard to believe Russia were tricked by his solo efforts in the last 20 minutes. They kept him restrained for the most part.

About time that Trap earns his ****ing paycheck and starts playing more attacking football.

We will struggle to beat Slovakia. Can't see us getting anything from that match.

/Rant

Somebody give Jamie O'Hara a ring please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 499 ✭✭Beanmachine

The most dissapointing thing for me is that the team hasn't progressed at all since trap took over and it never will. Same game plan same players same end product

He was, but he was a hell of a lot better than than many others in a green shirt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,328 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

mixednuts wrote: »
    ?
    Always a danger IMO

Seriously?

There were plenty of times he had the ball and seemed to be waiting for the defender to do something first,plenty of times he failed miserably to beat the defenders,I'm not asking him to beat them all the time but I thought he lacked positivity and really i can't remember him creating much.

Duff would have offered a lot more, but no point really talking about that.

mixednuts wrote: »
    ?
    Always a danger IMO

No way, shocking attempts to track back and constantly tried to take on 2 players despite getting zero change out of them. All he did was mop up the pieces from Russian clearences.

Ineffectual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

DB10 wrote: »
    Gulf in class as I stated beforehand, Championship reserve players like Green and Kilbane have no place at this level. And considering the rest of the team are on their arse everyweek sitting on the bench for the Premier League teams, it's no surprise.

Some guy on here beforehand never even heard of the Russian League...adox I think he was.

Wrong again, but no surprise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

Reality bites. We have'nt got the players. Simple as that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

Too little too late.

Gulf in class between those two sides.
    One team tried to play the beautiful game, the other tried to stop them playing it.

Ireland bombed it, Russia received and passed it. Their movement is lovely to watch, and Arshavin really had the beating of any of our defenders when he wanted it.

Why such negative football from Ireland, it really baffles me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Anyone remember Given shouting at the players in the wall during a free kick in the first half? That was funny, I dunno I was nearly sick laughing. Not taking the piss of Given or anything, just was funny.

He didn't touch him :eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

Augmerson wrote: »
    Anyone remember Given shouting at the players in the wall during a free kick in the first half? That was funny, I dunno I was nearly sick laughing. Not taking the piss of Given or anything, just was funny.

Screaming like a loony :D Was hilarious stuff alright.! :pac:

The most dissapointing thing for me is that the team hasn't progressed at all since trap took over and it never will. Same game plan same players same end product

Are you for real ?

Have a look at the available Irish Players to pick from and show me a manager who would have had us in a WC playoff , and in our current group position .

Folks wake up ... We probably have the worst pool of players to choose from in the past quarter century .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭justshane

Given
    Coleman Dunne Josh Cunningham

Whelan

Lawrence Duff
    Fahey

Keane Doyle

I think we need to try this on Tues, also Trap interview after the break should be interesting!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

Who does Eamo want to pull a side Lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Ah would love to have heard what Dunphy said about Keane off mike, going to the break.

" Pull him aside and..........."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

"Pull him aside and give him a...." /cuts to ads Nooooo, i wanna hear what happens next :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

Really? Apart from Dunne, McGeady was the only one to stand out. Put a few decent crosses in and tested the keeper 2-3 times. And I am by no means a fan of him.
    IMO Fahey should be in the first 11 Tuesday night.
    And in longer terms, hopefully in the not too distant future we will have Coleman for RB and Sheasy for LB. McCarthy in the middle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

Bad and all as the team were, that stadium is ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

Anyone here Dunphy there after the ads were nearly on, showed Robbie Keane walking away.

"Youd want to pull him aside and give him a "

And then the sound ended :(

Wanted to hear what he had to say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

Anyone else catch dunphy saying "ah pull him aside and give him a..." just as the ad break was starting? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Jimmyboss

''PULL HIM ASIDE AND GIVE HIM...........''.....to whom was Eamon referring at the break???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Who was he sayin to pull aside? Trap?

• Advertisement

adox wrote: »
    Ah would love to have heard what Dunphy said about Keane off mike, going to the break.

" Pull him aside and..........."

He should call it as it is on air imo

Advertisement