Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rep of Ireland v Russia - 8th/Oct/2010

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭ironingbored

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Why don't they do a proper man of the match i.e. the best player in the match, whatever his nationality

Corporate prostitution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,527 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Iron Hide wrote: »
    Ahh tis Roy.

Roll your sleeves up, get stuck in blah blah blah....

If you want to compete in top level sport you do need to give 100% blah blah blah as you put it.
    It's a cliche but its true.

Glazers Out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Walsh

We are a nation that settles for Mediocracy, we haven't got the youth systems nor the domestic league to produce world class players and we will always be let behind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 499 ✭✭Beanmachine

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    The Irish Team would include Duff to me.

Fair enough but it didnt include Duff tonight so thats where i was coming from. My point about McGeady is that if he's the only one who's willing to have a go at players, try flicks and skills its inevitable he will lose the ball more than say Lawrence but the fact he's willing to have a go he deserves more credit than he gets.

°°°°°

Walsh wrote: »
    We are a nation that settles for Mediocracy, we haven't got the youth systems nor the domestic league to produce world class players and we will always be let behind.

Our problem is being a small nation that competes in too many sports.
    We also have indiginous sports vying for space in the sporting consciousness of the people.
    Jack's of all trades masters of none.
    We have the potential to be a world class force in one sport we just can't dedicate ourselves to doing that:(

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Says he's fine and to say hello to Dave.

Trig's dead, baby!! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

cson wrote: »
    Is Bill O'Herlihy your missus or what?

Nah.

It's just since that fateful night in Paris, she has realized how an Irish result can affect my mood.

So she is always asking probing questions to see if i'm gonna be in a piisser after a match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

Fair enough but it didnt include Duff tonight so thats where i was coming from. My point about McGeady is that if he's the only one who's willing to have a go at players, try flicks and skills its inevitable he will lose the ball more than say Lawrence but the fact he's willing to have a go he deserves more credit than he gets.

Not really, its all about picking the right option, sure have a go at players, but don't try take on 2 when you can slide it to Kilbane so he can cross it.
    Do the simple thing and you will look 10 times the player

°°°°°

Mc Geady's decision making is a big pitfall in his game. He's a skillful player who does create a lot, however he lacks the intelligence to really put his opponents to the sword.
    Were he to do the right thing and create/score more and lose the ball now and again no one would be on his back, when your'e not doing the business people have a right to remind you of your mistakes.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement

Dempsey wrote: »

R.I.P

:(

Anyone have a link to the memorial thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

Roll on Norway. So much deadwood has to be peddled. I will be hugely disappointed if we don't experiment with at least half of the following:

Foley
    Coleman
    Clark
    Ward
    Ephraim
    Wilson
    McCarthy
    A Reid
    Walters
    Stokes

Roll on Norway. So much deadwood has to be peddled. I will be hugely disappointed if we don't experiment with at least half of the following:

Foley
    Coleman
    Clark
    Ward
    Ephraim
    Wilson
    McCarthy
    A Reid
    Walters
    Stokes

Would be great to see Clark get a call up and a run, has bags of potential, and would be a good partnership with Dunne obviously

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Foley
    Coleman
    Clark
    Ward
    Ephraim
    Wilson
    McCarthy
    A Reid
    Walters
    Stokes

They're realistic possibilities now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Why don't they do a proper man of the match i.e. the best player in the match, whatever his nationality

Probably because players from other countries don't really want a gammy piece of Waterford crystal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

You can fook off with adding domestic league to that.We don't have a domestic league because there is no money invested in it as it's more chic to fly to a foreign country to spend money on their leagues and not our own. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

nullzero wrote: »
    Mc Geady's decision making is a big pitfall in his game. He's a skillful player who does create a lot, however he lacks the intelligence to really put his opponents to the sword.
    Were he to do the right thing and create/score more and lose the ball now and again no one would be on his back, when your'e not doing the business people have a right to remind you of your mistakes.

I agree with what you say but its just the same story after every match with some people "ah McGeady was ****e again" he's just an easy target for fans to vent at. You don't see many people criticising lawrence to the same extent, and thats partly down to what you have just said he does the simple things well.I just feel at this level you need something more than just doing the simple things well, and for me McGeady was the only player that was out there tonight who had the ability to make something happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Prufrock

I think Dunnes interview summed it all up for me. That midfeld is scared when they have the ball at their feet. Green should never have to play at this level its not fair to him or the team. He is just not good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭KELTICKNIGHTT

sad game too watch from irish view,long ball all the time,when they did treaten the russians in the back in defence,rattled them,maybe they needed this too wake them up and maybe play ,they also gave away the ball too much,they where luck it was only 2-3
    dunne was very honest in what he said and summed it all up for whole game

Never in the re runs. :p

Probably because players from other countries don't really want a gammy piece of Waterford crystal.
    Don't you get Champers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Embarrassing diving all game by Keane.

Foley
    Coleman
    Clark
    Ward
    Ephraim
    Wilson
    McCarthy
    A Reid
    Walters
    Stokes

I think it would have been better to lose 3 or 4 nil tonight....MAYBE that would have given Gio the hint that things are rotten in the Irish team.

BUT a 3-2 loss will probably make him think it was just an off-day....and we'll be okay.

Maybe now we need to be taken to the cleaners by Slovakia for Trap to change his ways.....and use the Norway game to really experiment.

°°°°°

I agree with what you say but its just the same story after every match with some people "ah McGeady was ****e again" he's just an easy target for fans to vent at. You don't see many people criticising lawrence to the same extent, and thats partly down to what you have just said he does the simple things well.I just feel at this level you need something more than just doing the simple things well, and for me McGeady was the only player that was out there tonight who had the ability to make something happen.

The problem is he has never made anything happen for Ireland.
    Personally I feel he'd be better suited to plying behind the strikers, he's lost on the wing and a more central position might free up his talents to a point where he's useful to us.
    He needs to do simple things well, all the best players do that, good football is 99% doing simple things well plenty of players have the ability to trick and flick past defenders, but at the top level you can't rely on that to work for you.
    If I was picking lads for a 5 a side game Mc Geady would be my first choice every time, at international level he's suffering from his lack of footballing intelligence and being played in an unsuitbale position within an unsuitable system.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭enda_4

I thought McGeady did ok. He had 3 men around him every time he got possesion and absolutely no help from his team mates. Messi wouldnt have got outta some of those situations!

I did a wee count on Green, gave the ball away 15 times outta 18/19 possesions! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

A sad night for Irish football. I'm too tired and too pissed off to write a long post right now, but suffice to say there are big, big problems with the Irish team.

°°°°°

KungPao wrote: »
    I think it would have been better to lose 3 or 4 nil tonight....MAYBE that would have given Gio the hint that things are rotten in the Irish team.

BUT a 3-2 loss will probably make him think it was just an off-day....and we'll be okay.

Maybe now we need to be taken to the cleaners by Slovakia for Trap to change his ways.....and use the Norway game to really experiment.

You're bang on the money there my friend.
    We needed a wake up call, especially with regard to our midfield.
    I just hope that the result (all important in Trap's eyes) will force his hand to withdraw Paul Green, the lad's out of his depth.

Glazers Out!

I wonder if we'll get many changes for Slovakia. At least peddle Kilbane and Green for the love of God...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Sean St.Ledger was a pure hatchet-man tonight

Personally I feel he'd be better suited to plying behind the strikers, he's lost on the wing and a more central position might free up his talents to a point where he's useful to us.
    He needs to do simple things well, all the best players do that, good football is 99% doing simple things well plenty of players have the ability to trick and flick past defenders, but at the top level you can't rely on that to work for you.
    If I was picking lads for a 5 a side game Mc Geady would be my first choice every time, at international level he's suffering from his lack of footballing intelligence and being played in an unsuitbale position within an unsuitable system.

Yeah he would but cannot see the system changing to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Flimbos

A couple of telling things tonight...

Dunne's interview - confirmed the current team don't have the belief in themselves to play good passing football, hence the long balls. Hopefully changes will be made to the team by next week.

Keane's penalty - was never a penalty IMO, but after he scored, he just turned and jogged back to the centre circle. I was hugely disappointed in him here, our captain, showing such apathy. Yes we were 3-1 down but there was still about 20 minutes to play. He should have grabbed the ball out of the net and got his team motivated. They did go on to score a few minutes later, but after getting our first, a bit of positive leadership from him would have been nice. I would have pulled him aside and given him a kick in the arse myself.

• Advertisement

If that was De Jong or Van Bommel, they'd be strung up by everyone. Strange that.

Foley
    Coleman
    Clark
    Ward
    Ephraim
    Wilson
    McCarthy
    A Reid
    Walters
    Stokes

Not a chance he'll even call half of those suggestions up for the Norway game. This is Trap were talking about! :pac:

KungPao wrote: »

Yeah, agree with the above. Trap will try to make it look like a narrow defeat, whereas the truth is we were totally outclassed and the match was over at half-time. No plan B, just route one every time.

I thought Richie Dunne gave a very honest interview after the game- players fearful of passing the ball.

Why is McGeady playing on the left when usually he plays on the right for Spartak. I watched him in the Champions League and he played very well on the right. With Ireland, because he's on the left wing, he beats his man, but then has to cut back on his right to get the cross in....... so, why isn't Trap playing him on the right hand side of midfield? :confused:

Furthermore, I think the criticism of McGeady is very unfair- he's by far our most creative player (apart from Duff maybe), plus he has lots of pace to beat defenders.

enda_4 wrote: »
    I did a wee count on Green, gave the ball away 15 times outta 18/19 possesions! :mad:

Paul Green out of his depth. Doesn't even deserve to be in the squad, nevermind the team! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

If that was De Jong or Van Bommel, they'd be strung up by everyone. Strange that.
    Sure would, if he broke a few legs.

.... Paul Green, the lad's out of his depth.

That's so true, it's frightening. And Whelan just doesn't cut it against the big boys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

What I liked about Dunnes interview was the way he was so tired and p*ssed off, basically saying we have to stop kicking it long cause the defence ends up wrecked......f*cks sake like!:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Kevin Doyle could have been sent off aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Walsh

d22ontour wrote: »
    You can fook off with adding domestic league to that.We don't have a domestic league because there is no money invested in it as it's more chic to fly to a foreign country to spend money on their leagues and not our own. :rolleyes:
    Yeah i'm not a Shelbourne season ticket holder with a Shelbourne signature to show I support Shelbourne in our league? Did I say Shelbourne enough times for you there, You idiot.

And the matter of fact is, the domestic league is part of the shambles that is football in Ireland.

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    Sure would, if he broke a few legs.

It doesnt take breaking legs for it to be a reckless and dangerous tackle. Ledger got lucky, another night, it could have been broken legs. Does it only take serious injuries to grab your attention to reckless challenges?

No one is really giving credit to Russia - some of their passing and movement was out of this world. But by God, we didn't half make look much better than they actually are. So frustrating to watch at times when we gave away possession we didn't even put them under pressure, just retreated and let them kick it about in their own half.

• Advertisement

Dragov is still looking for his balls! :eek::eek::eek::D

No one is really giving credit to Russia - some of their passing and movement was out of this world. But by God, we didn't half make look much better than they actually are. So frustrating to watch at times when we gave away possession we didn't even put them under pressure, just retreated and let them kick it about in their own half.

Yep. Credit to Russia, away from home let's not forget.

But yeah it was depressing the way we let them just slice through us....sometimes it was like watching Chelsea V Blackpool....luckily they weren't so clinical in front of goal.

But as I said before, maybe, in the long run, it would have been better for them to get the cigars out*

*Old school Pro Evo reference!

No, but it would take broken legs with a horrible scissors kick tackle to compare him to De Jong.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Prufrock

Dragov is still looking for his balls! :eek::eek::eek::D

Championship style baby :D

On a more serious note he could have easily seen red. Some shocking tackles.

Yeah i'm not a Shelbourne season ticket holder with a Shelbourne signature to show I support Shelbourne in our league? Did I say Shelbourne enough times for you there, You idiot.

And the matter of fact is, the domestic league is part of the shambles that is football in Ireland.

Ehm welcome to the last 30 years.Domestic football has in no way had any bearing on Irish international football.
    You seemed to have missed our best players playing at a higher level than our own domestic league.
    You seem to have missed the mercs who wouldn't have a sniff of getting into their own international teams.
    Infact bar the idiot part and the shels part your post makes no sense whatsoever... ;)
    Our youth set up worked well when producing players to play in England ,no ?
    Domestic game. If the FAI ,irish fans don't give a fook about it then what difference could it have on our National team ?

So your a shels fan...And i am an idiot.

:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Fan went for Robbie Keane? When did this happen?
    I missed that...
    0003c767-674.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭Dean820

I'm still hopeful for Tuesday, we're still top and lets all be positive.

etc, etc, lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Foley
    Coleman
    Clark
    Ward
    Ephraim
    Wilson
    McCarthy
    A Reid
    Walters
    Stokes

As much as i want to see Clark, Wilson, Foley and McCarthy i will be surprised, very very surprised if Trap makes many changes if any. Hopefully this result is the wake up call he needed.
    Crosáidí wrote: »
    Would be great to see Clark get a call up and a run, has bags of potential, and would be a good partnership with Dunne obviously

Just looking into him since i heard he declared for Ireland, sadly he started Villas game against Newcastle, where they lost 6-0, hopefully he wasn't to blame.

On the game overall, terrible, our mentality as Trap always seems to talk about is rubbish, Dunne confirmed it in his interview. In the players that are on the pitch i can see why its hard to have confidence, long ball, long ball, long ball. I'm too angry to care right now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭Sergio

Very disappointing performance for me tonight.We were very poor and no organisation at all in the whole team.
    The midfield for me is a f**kin disaster nobody to grab the game by the scruff of the neck and try and control the game,pass the ball and start communicating to other players.Theres a huge gap between the forwards and the defenders caused by poor midfield.

I dont know how Robbie keane gets his game let alone be the captain as hes absolutely rubbish and made no positive impact on the game again tonight.
    I would drop him for tuesday night and play shane long as he played well when he came on and gave the russians a hard time in defence and eventually scored.
    Keith fahy should defo be given a start on tuesday night.

Fan went for Robbie Keane? When did this happen?
    I missed that...

Same, strange why he'd go for Keane instead of the midfield, oh wait he couldnt see them. Baaa dum tish!!!

Dean820 wrote: »
    I'm still hopeful for Tuesday, we're still top and lets all be positive.

etc, etc, lol.

We're still top because e comes before u.

• Advertisement
Advertisement