Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rep of Ireland v Russia - 8th/Oct/2010

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Cant wait for this match, I think we should go for it and stick Gibson in beside Whelan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

So you would leave Keane on the bench? We have 6 points from 6 but Trap has it all wrong and we should change half the team? Come on.

Where did I say that? Sorry,I know my post sort of contradicts myself,I'd play Keane but I should have said my post was solely aimed at the midfield.I just don't like it and I can assure you I am not the only one.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Kristian_

kilburn wrote: »
    Cant wait for this match, I think we should go for it and stick Gibson in beside Whelan

I think your right we really need to have a go here, we are at home after all. Would really like to see Gibson get a chance, think he deserves it.
    Leave out Whelan and maybe stick Gibson in alongside Andrews :confused:.
    While I don't rate Andrews much either, I think he has more ability on the ball than Whelan.

'Russians prepare to bare teeth'
    Dick Advocaat's team of underachievers will have a point to prove at the Aviva Stadium, writes Seán Ryan

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/russians-prepare-to-bare-teeth-2362658.html

Arshavin looking lively for the Gunners at the moment :( lets hope he gets slammed by Ivanovic! :eek::D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

I'll be amazed if Trap starts Gibson tbh, he doesn't suit the rigid way Trap sets us up (see Cyprus at home in the last campaign).

We'll never be Spain or Brazil, but personally I think a more expansive approach with Stephen Ward/ Seamus Coleman/Kevin Foley/Stephen Kelly as attacking full backs and the likes of Darron Gibson/James McCarthy/Andy Reid/Marc Wilson drafted into central midfield to give us a cutting edge and go for the jugular would be more effective than Trap's way (particularly at home against weak nations), but hey, I'm not the guy with multiple honours in football management.

I'm unhappy that a lot of the above aren't in the squad to give us a Plan B if things go pear shaped, however until results go badly the footballing public won't put much pressure on him to include these people. C'est la vie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭bohsfan

Given all the talk about McShane/Coleman/Kilbane etc. and the lack of options for dependable full backs I put forward an argument for the future inclusion of 'Irelands forgotton man' Ian Harte...

I'm a Reading fan and he has been in great form lately for us. And this has come after he had a magnificent season with Carlisle. The guy has been there and back, has international experience, is pretty handy with a dead ball and often pops up with a goal.

Surely worth a punt...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,274 ✭✭✭✭briany

bohsfan wrote: »
    Given all the talk about McShane/Coleman/Kilbane etc. and the lack of options for dependable full backs I put forward an argument for the future inclusion of 'Irelands forgotton man' Ian Harte...

I'm a Reading fan and he has been in great form lately for us. And this has come after he had a magnificent season with Carlisle. The guy has been there and back, has international experience, is pretty handy with a dead ball and often pops up with a goal.

Surely worth a punt...

In a perfect world.....

Call up Carsley too and David Connolly, and of course the two Reids. Give McCarthy and Coleman a game and give the captain's armband to Given. Maybe Ireland would have a change of heart as well. :)

Unfortunately things are just too rigid at the moment for such events to happen, but let's wait until this Thursday week before casting too much judgement.

Surely worth a punt...

Three years since I've seen the Hartebreak Kid play and he had the pace of a snail then. Can he even move these days? :D

But same age, getting a lot more games at the same level, has played full back for a lot more of his career, I don't see any reason why he should be behind Kilbane in the pecking order. Would be a slight improvement if anything. And we all know that despite his many limitations, he would bring something to the table in his world class set pieces and penalties - was still doing the business last season with an amazing 18 goals (and god knows how many assists) from defence last season for Carlisle.

But even if Kilbane retired right this instant he would be behind:

O'Shea (Foley/Coleman/Kelly right back)
    Cunningham
    The aforementioned right backs moved to left
    Ward

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,670 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Will be watching this in Madrid, cant wait!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 9,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Anyone know a good pub in Amsterdam to watch this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

mewso wrote: »

ya theres one in the red light district beside....eh oh eh..... No, no i dont know any.:o

• Advertisement

Trap confirms Duff and Andrews sent back to their clubs for further treatment.

http://twitter.com/#!/kenearlys/statuses/26377834841
    strange ireland press conference. duff and andrews both gone back to clubs injured, marc wilson called up. squad not in great shape

I like Wilson, but ahead of McCarthy?

Strange how things happen, Wilson getting called up for Andrews has arguably made the squad stronger, but I'd say everyone would have rathered McCarthy. Maybe Trap considers him too adventerous to carry out the game plan?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,328 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Trap confirms Duff and Andrews sent back to their clubs for further treatment.

With Duff 90% certain to miss both games :(

feck feck feck

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

Strange how things happen, Wilson getting called up for Andrews has arguably made the squad stronger, but I'd say everyone would have rathered McCarthy. Maybe Trap considers him too adventerous to carry out the game plan?

Either that or a grudge for pulling out of the friendlies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

"And we all know that despite his many limitations, he would bring something to the table in his world class set pieces and penalties - was still doing the business last season with an amazing 18 goals (and god knows how many assists) from defence last season for Carlisle. "

Will never be able to forgive him for missing that penalty against Spain.

Actually ya. On the main street off Dam Square there's an Irish pub called "The Blarney Stone." A guy from Kildare runs it. He should play it, ask him first though obviously.

Looks like we'll be saying goodbye to Treacy for a while with an excuse like 'tiredness':

http://www.herald.ie/sport/soccer/treacy-tests-trap-resolve-2363816.html

Was getting into great form for Preston too, shame. Wes Hoolahan for a call up, anyone?
    Fuhrer wrote: »
    Either that or a grudge for pulling out of the friendlies

On the bright side, Trap gave his word he'll definitely feature against Norway.

http://twitter.com/#!/kenearlys/statuses/26377834841

I like Wilson, but ahead of McCarthy?

Is Duff out then or what's the story? He obviously suffered a knock at the weekend then..
    Massive blow if he is..
    Sportsguy can you give me a bit of a background on Wilson? Don't know much about him
    Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

BBC say Duff is 90% certain to miss it so I'd say we can rule him out. I'm guessing McGeady on the left then with Lawrence on the right. I'm fine with that although I'd prefer Duff to be fit. I would be more worried about Paul Green playing alongside Glenn Whelan. That and the left-back spot are real worries. I'm not confident we can get anything more than a point from this game without some massive good fortune.

Kristian_ wrote: »
    Is Duff out then or what's the story? He obviously suffered a knock at the weekend then..

Massive blow if he is..

Sportsguy can you give me a bit of a background on Wilson? Don't know much about him

Cheers

Antrim lad that declared for us.

Shone in a dreadful Pompey side. He's a versatile player that can operate as a central midfielder, central defender and full back. Pulis swapped him for Lawrence at the start of the season to bring him back to the Premier League after fighting off West Ham for his signature. And shock horror he can actually pass a ball. :)

BBC say Duff is 90% certain to miss it so I'd say we can rule him out. I'm guessing McGeady on the left then with Lawrence on the right. I'm fine with that although I'd prefer Duff to be fit. I would be more worried about Paul Green playing alongside Glenn Whelan. That and the left-back spot are real worries. I'm not confident we can get anything more than a point from this game without some massive good fortune.

The main thing that worries me about McGeady starting (apart from lack of end product in the green jersey) is he's not as dilligent at tracking back as Duffer. He can't switch off for a second because Kilbane needs as much protection as possible, they'll target him at every available opportunity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

As long as they're prepared to run around a lot it matters little who Trap plays as his CM tbh. Its all about the system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

"And we all know that despite his many limitations, he would bring something to the table in his world class set pieces and penalties - was still doing the business last season with an amazing 18 goals (and god knows how many assists) from defence last season for Carlisle. "

Will never be able to forgive him for missing that penalty against Spain.
    He was dire in that whole tournament, but apparently he had a broken toe all the way through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

flahavaj wrote: »
    As long as they're prepared to run around a lot it matters little who Trap plays as his CM tbh. Its all about the system.

It matters if they keep giving the ball away like Green does.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

aidan24326 wrote: »
    It matters if they keep giving the ball away like Green does.

Does he really give the ball away that much?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

Ian Harte...

(Wipes tear). Brilliant.

Harte is so slow he makes Killer look like Usain Bolt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Durty Nellies
    DB10 wrote: »
    Trap is overrated. The fact he is better than rubbish like Staunton means some take him as a messiah..
    He's probably the best manager Ireland can get.
    He's won it all, but really he wouldn't have been managing **** clubs and us in recent years if he still had it.
    Do you really think Ireland can get a top club manager? I'm no fan of Delaney and the FAI, but do you really think they could have gone out and got Mourinho?
    His squad and team selections are bizarre..
    But there's probably no manager in the world that you would agree with all their lineups.
    The fact is, international football has gone to the dogs so we are one of the better teams around. Nothing to do with the magic of Trap or other nonsense.
    I'd say the exact opposite. International football is great, and we're definitely not one of the better teams around.
    Magic of Andrews,Green and Whelan doing **** all in midfield while Mcshane and Kilbane destroy the backline. Magic indeed.
    I agree should play Xavi, Iniesta, Ronaldo and Kaka. Oh wait....

Mezcita wrote: »
    (Wipes tear). Brilliant.

Harte is so slow he makes Killer look like Usain Bolt.

The right winger up against Killer (Vladimir Bystrov) is the fastest player in Russia supposedly. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

The main thing that worries me about McGeady starting (apart from lack of end product in the green jersey) is he's not as dilligent at tracking back as Duffer. He can't switch off for a second because Kilbane needs as much protection as possible, they'll target him at every available opportunity.

Sorry but that is just not in the slightest way true, McGeady works back as hard as anyone. Did you see Spartaks CL game against Zilina? He worked his socks off going back and always does, if anything he tries too hard and gives away to many silly free kicks when tracking back. He will i am sure be double marked against the Russians and will have to work as hard as he always does. Hopefully his final balls will be a bit better than usual.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

flahavaj wrote: »
    Does he really give the ball away that much?

He did against Estonia. I know he's new to the team and all that but fom what I've seen of him he doesn't really look good enough for this level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

titan18 wrote: »
    It says in the Irish Times article

McCarthy made his senior debut in the friendly against Brazil in March but will not be tied to playing for Ireland until he is capped in a competitive game. He has not made even a squad since pulling out of the one for the games against Algeria and Paraguay due to tiredness at the end of last season.

I read on foot.ie a while ago that young McCarthy was genuinely interested in going back to Scotland, and furthermore, that the Scottish management had made enquiries about him. As titan correctly states above, a player is not tied to a country until they play a competitive match.:eek:

I can't understand why McCarthy wasn't called up to the Irish squad for these two games.... he's playing regularly for his club, he's better than what we currently have in CM, he can pass the ball, and he's the future of the Irish team..... besides if we gave him a competitive cap, at least then he couldn't go back to the Scotland setup.

His omission is yet another bizarre decision from Trap! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭LeeroyJones

I read on foot.ie a while ago that young McCarthy was genuinely interested in going back to Scotland, and furthermore, that the Scottish management had made enquiries about him. As titan correctly states above, a player is not tied to a country until they play a competitive match.:eek:

Can you find a source which states it must be competitive?

I don't think that is the case at all. I did a little bit of research and found the following Statute 17 on FIFAs International Regualtions;

Any Player who refers to art. 15 par. 1 to assume a new nationality
    and who has not played international football in accordance with art.
    15 par. 2 shall be eligible to play for the new representative team

This does not mention any stipulation of it being a competitive match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

Can you find a source which states it must be competitive?

I don't think that is the case at all. I did a little bit of research and found the following Statute 17 on FIFAs International Regualtions;

Any Player who refers to art. 15 par. 1 to assume a new nationality
    and who has not played international football in accordance with art.
    15 par. 2 shall be eligible to play for the new representative team

This does not mention any stipulation of it being a competitive match.

Can't quote a source, but I have read it a number of times here and on other forums.

The Article you quote is probably qualified by another Article which provides the requirement for competitive appearances. Anyway, I only came across the news on McCarthy on foot.ie, so take it with a pinch of salt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭LeeroyJones

Can't quote a source, but I have read it a number of times here and on other forums.

The Article you quote is probably qualified by another Article which provides the requirement for competitive appearances. Anyway, I only came across the news on McCarthy on foot.ie, so take it with a pinch of salt.

Apologies I only read Articles 15, 16 and 17.... where it is 18 which holds the answer! You seem to be correct! Wow, I really hope Trap/Tardelli have been on the blower to McCarthy keeping him onside with Ireland! What worries me is that his mate McArthur is now at Wigan and he could well be trying to temp McCarthy to the Scottish fold!

Article 18, Par 1

If a Player has more than one nationality, or if a Player acquires a new
    nationality, or if a Player is eligible to play for several representative
    teams due to nationality, he may, up to his 21st birthday, and only
    once, request to change the Association for which he is eligible to
    play international matches to the Association of another country of
    which he holds nationality, subject to the following conditions:

(a) He has not played a match (either in full or in part) in an official
    competition
    at “A” international level for his current Association,
    and at the time of his first full or partial appearance in an
    international match in an official competition for his current
    Association, he already had the nationality of the representative
    team for which he wishes to play.

(b) He is not permitted to play for his new Association in any
    competition in which he has already played for his previous
    Association.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

james mccarthy will not be called up unless he plays in a couple of friendlies for trap or goes to one of his training camps.
    I dont know why people are so shocked, this has always been the way with him.
    He wont "trust" him until he gets to see him better.

we may not like it, but thats the way it is

MOG7 wrote: »
    Sorry but that is just not in the slightest way true, McGeady works back as hard as anyone. Did you see Spartaks CL game against Zilina? He worked his socks off going back and always does, if anything he tries too hard and gives away to many silly free kicks when tracking back. He will i am sure be double marked against the Russians and will have to work as hard as he always does. Hopefully his final balls will be a bit better than usual.

Nope, didn't. But Aidan himself agrees with me on this one. ;)
    "I need to improve my goalscoring, but especially my tracking back and heading - that's probably the worst part of my game."

Your above post is encouraging though. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Sorry for going a bit off topic but this is certainly good news. The lad looks like he has potential and certainly one for the future or if our injuries persist very near future!!

Ciaran Clark pledges future to Ireland

;)
    Apologies I only read Articles 15, 16 and 17.... where it is 18 which holds the answer! You seem to be correct! Wow, I really hope Trap/Tardelli have been on the blower to McCarthy keeping him onside with Ireland! What worries me is that his mate McArthur is now at Wigan and he could well be trying to temp McCarthy to the Scottish fold!

Article 18, Par 1

If a Player has more than one nationality, or if a Player acquires a new
    nationality, or if a Player is eligible to play for several representative
    teams due to nationality, he may, up to his 21st birthday, and only
    once, request to change the Association for which he is eligible to
    play international matches to the Association of another country of
    which he holds nationality, subject to the following conditions:

(a) He has not played a match (either in full or in part) in an official
    competition at “A” international level for his current Association,
    and at the time of his first full or partial appearance in an
    international match in an official competition for his current
    Association, he already had the nationality of the representative
    team for which he wishes to play.

(b) He is not permitted to play for his new Association in any
    competition in which he has already played for his previous
    Association.

Sure as sh*te now he'll make he switch, what are they thinking?
    I wonder does Trap actually understand the importance of the situation?
    Or really does he give a damn.
    Sure who am I to question a guy that has multiple honours in football management - this is really starting to take the pi$$.
    After paying big money and we have to look at McShane running around like a lost puppy on Fri night I swear I'll ball!

Duff out aswell :(
    Our midfield will be very very weak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Kristian_ wrote: »
    ;)

Sure as sh*te now he'll make he switch, what are they thinking?
    I wonder does Trap actually understand the importance of the situation?
    Or really does he give a damn.
    Sure who am I to question a guy that has multiple honours in football management - this is really starting to take the pi$$.
    After paying big money and we have to look at McShane running around like a lost puppy on Fri night I swear I'll ball!

Duff out aswell :(
    Our midfield will be very very weak.

Andrews is out so we are looking at Green and Whelan in midfield which is a disaster. I can't understand why Wilson was even called up before McCarthy. AFAIK Wilson isn't even getting a game for Stoke at the minute.

McCarthy is the one Irish midfielder playing week-in, week-out in the PL. He doesn't fit into Trap's system alright but surely he should be in there as an impact sub if we're losing and need some creativity.

• Advertisement

Lots of negativity in the thread about the team. Yes, midfield isn't the strongest, but a long ball from O shea on friday, Doyle heads it down for Keane, back of the net, and lots of this- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmP9fZNfae8. It could happen.:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭bohsfan

event wrote: »
    james mccarthy will not be called up unless he plays in a couple of friendlies for trap or goes to one of his training camps.
    I dont know why people are so shocked, this has always been the way with him.
    He wont "trust" him until he gets to see him better.

we may not like it, but thats the way it is

Very true. I believe there is no doubt that McCarthy is a talented player, but he is young and still collecting experience at club level, never mind stepping up to international level.

I think it would be a mistake to put him straight into the team now, as some seem to be calling for. I could see the benefit of having him around the squad, but Trap called him up for that reason a few months back only to be rebuffed.

I think it would be wrong to call him up and give him 10 minutes in a competitive game just to tie him to us. He either wants to play for us, and will wait for his chance, or he doesn't- simple as. Come the next friendly/training camp when there is a bit of breathing space between competitive matches, I am sure he will be asked again. It will be up to him how he answers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

I'd be thrilled with 4 pts from these upcoming games, but somehow I think its gonna be 2 at best :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

The_B_Man wrote: »

Just heard this..good stuff!
    So this is the likely lineup then..
    Given

O'Shea St Ledger Dunne Kilbane

Lawerence Green Whelan McGeady

Doyle Keane

What do ye reckon? I suppose it's not too bad!:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I don't think the loss of Pavlyuchenko is that significant really since Advocaat had him on the bench against Slovakia and went with Pogrebnyak up top:

Akinfeev

--Anyukov----V. Berezutsky
    Ignashevich----Zkirkov--

Semshov----Shirokov
    Zyryanov

Dzagoev
    Arshavin

Pogrebnyak

Pogrebnyak has 5 goals in 6 games for Stuttgart in the Bundesliga so we will have our work cut out for us with or without Pavlyuchenko!

I'd be worried about Dzagoev if he plays. He always seems likely to come up with a goal or an assist and if he features it would seem Kilbane would be tasked with dealing with him. In saying that I noticed on ESPN that he has been used as a sub of late so maybe Advocaat won't start him.

I'm getting increasingly worried about this game. I read McGeady saying he would take a draw and I'd agree.

Kilbane is going to be annihilated. In the cold light of day I think we all expect this. The sh!t will hit the fan if Dunne doesn't produce his usual heroics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭joe316

Anyone get their tickets from the fai yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,328 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Lemlin wrote: »
    Andrews is out so we are looking at Green and Whelan in midfield which is a disaster. I can't understand why Wilson was even called up before McCarthy. AFAIK Wilson isn't even getting a game for Stoke at the minute.

No Wilson has made 2 appearances this season for Stoke. There is talk that his Stoke team mate Jon Walters might be called into the squad for the Norway match. I wouldn't mind seeing that, he has a bit of muscle, and has a bit of a creative edge too.

• Advertisement

joe316 wrote: »
    Anyone get their tickets from the fai yet?

Just got mine, thank god.
    Sorry off topic a tad but does anyone know what the upper tiers are like? Row N
    Are they as bad as the whole vertigo warning thing?

Advertisement