Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rep of Ireland v Russia - 8th/Oct/2010

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Kristian_ wrote: »
    Just got mine, thank god.
    Sorry off topic a tad but does anyone know what the upper tiers are like? Row N
    Are they as bad as the whole vertigo warning thing?

If you go onto ticketmaster they give a seating layout of the Aviva so it gives you an idea what section you'll be in. Just find an event that is on in it and when you go to book tickets for it the seating arrangements are there to the left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

do you reckon there will be tickets for sale outside the ground on the night by 'others' - no intention of paying the 110 euro i was quoted on the ticketmaster website.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

s_carnage wrote: »
    If you go onto ticketmaster they give a seating layout of the Aviva so it gives you an idea what section you'll be in. Just find an event that is on in it and when you go to book tickets for it the seating arrangements are there to the left.

http://www.irishrugby.ie/stadiummap

This is the best one I've found - click on your section in the stadium and it updates with a photo of the view from that section.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

s_carnage wrote: »
    Sorry for going a bit off topic but this is certainly good news. The lad looks like he has potential and certainly one for the future or if our injuries persist very near future!!

Ciaran Clark pledges future to Ireland

He's one we need to get capped asap. He's played at pretty much every level for England under age and has captained some of the underage teams so we need to get him tied in!

Kristian_ wrote: »
    Just heard this..good stuff!
    So this is the likely lineup then..
    Given

O'Shea St Ledger Dunne Kilbane

Lawerence Green Whelan McGeady

Doyle Keane

What do ye reckon? I suppose it's not too bad!:P

Swap Green for Gibson and I'd be a WHOLE lot happier.

How Green is even considered remotely International standard bemuses me. (no disrespect to the lad, but he's nowhere near good enough)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I don't think Greene is as bad as people are making him out to be. He does **** up but I'd put that down to nerves. Can't say I'm confident when Gibson is kept out of the side.

I hope to God we can take 3 points from this match. I'm not that worried though as Arshavin could give a lot of ball away against the likes of Whelan and Dunne.

Pogrebnyak is a big threat but not as much as Pavlyuchenko.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

When we go into the Macedonia game in March, the squad will look a hell of a lot healthier:

Ward
    Coleman
    Clark
    Wilson
    Meyler
    McCarthy
    Ephraim
    Stokes
    Walters

The reinforcements are coming late... just hope the campaign isn't in the toilet by the time they arrive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Russia losing at home to Slovakia means it would be very hard for it to be down the proverbial toilet come spring.

Voltwad wrote: »
    Russia losing at home to Slovakia means it would be very hard for it to be down the proverbial toilet come spring.

Two defeats to Russia and Slovakia with a daunting trip to Moscow ahead would make qualification quite unlikely I feel. Let's say we'd be resting on the toilet seat with a hand touching the handle then. ;)

I watched Russia v Slovakia. Slovakia's win was a combination of heroic defending from Skrtel, a fine goalkeeping display and luck due to poor finishing. They rarely ventured out of their own half. In general, one wouldn't be confident about backing Spain to come out of Russia with a win, let alone us. :(

And as for whether it's likely we'll actually lose - I'm not sure what to expect tbh. The signs certainly aren't boding well: Duff is injured, very possible Green could be out of his depth at this level, Kilbane is old and doesn't feature for Hull in the Championship, St Ledger is playing at the heart of a leaky Preston defence, Whelan is in stinking form for Stoke, our big players Given and Keane might lack sharpness. At least we've got home advantage though. Hopefully the atmosphere will be very intimidating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

When we go into the Macedonia game in March, the squad will look a hell of a lot healthier:

Ward
    Coleman
    Clark
    Wilson
    Meyler
    McCarthy
    Ephraim
    Stokes
    Walters

The reinforcements are coming late... just hope the campaign isn't in the toilet by the time they arrive.

and maybe.....
    O'Hara
    Naughton
    Maguire
    Cox

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭LeeroyJones

Ward
    Coleman
    Clark
    Wilson
    Meyler
    McCarthy
    Ephraim
    Stokes
    Walters

Is he keen to play for Ireland? I heard he had Irish roots alright

Is he keen to play for Ireland? I heard he had Irish roots alright

Aye, his Mam is Irish born. On the verge of declaring according to yesterday's Star.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Ward
    Coleman
    Clark
    Wilson
    Meyler
    McCarthy
    Ephraim
    Stokes
    Walters

the only problem is trap proably wont give any of them playing time unless there are major injury problems or someone really proves themselves in the next few months and I think we have only one friendly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

I am both looking forward to this and dreading it, but I'm always the same with Ireland.....tis always edge of the seat stuff.

With Slovakia playing away in Armenia on Friday (very possible they could drop some points there) and us playing Slovakia on Tuesday....this is a huge opportunity to do some damage against our main rivals.

And Russia have a tricky one away to Macedonia on tuesday.

We could be sitting pretty after these two games...with other results going nicely.

Ireland 12 points, Slovakia 6, Russia 3......:D

(allow me to dream!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

this match will be a 0-0 or 1-1 draw i feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭internelligent

Really looking forward to this match. If we win it's looking a hell of a lot rosier in the Irish soccer fan's garden than it has in a long long time. I really don't care HOW it's done but I desperately want to see Ireland qualify. It's been way way too long.

Also, someone gave me premier seat tickets as a gift and I haven't been to the AVIVA stadium yet so can't wait.
    :)

Team to be named after training this morning. I guess the big question is: will it be Green or Gibson? Wilson also plays central midfield, highly unlikely Trap will throw him in the deep end though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Isnt it about time we beat a relatively top class team in a competitive fixture (with the exception of the 90 mins in Stade de France)??

As others have said I dont care how its done, win ugly by all means. Actually, I dont think we can win any other way :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,468 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Team to be named after training this morning. I guess the big question is: will it be Green or Gibson? Wilson also plays central midfield, highly unlikely Trap will throw him in the deep end though.

Green a certainty imo. Trap doesn't really like Gibbo in a 442 i feel, don't blame him either.

Good god I hope Green isn;t named to start. He was completely inept and out of his depth in the last 2 games against very poor opposition.

Russia will be a whole different kettle of fish to Armenia etc Their midfield will be laughing themselves to sleep if they see he's starting.

No offence to the lad, but he's nowhere near International standard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭LeeroyJones

My order of preference here to partner Whelan is Gibson, Wilson, then Green.
    Gibson, like him or not, he always offers the opposition a threat from outside the box. That sort of threat can distress a centre half and thus offer more space for Keane and Doyle. His passing game is improving, perhaps not up to scratch yet, as from what I've seen of him at United he is looking for options out wide when he feels a shot isn't on.

Wilson has a great work ethic and likes to get stuck in, perhaps with a few caps under his belt and Trap would give him the start. He likes to roll up his sleeves, make tackles and win headers-what Trap looks for in a center mid, what's more is that he actually is decent on the ball too.

Green, I cannot question this guy's attitude but from what I have seen he isn't up to scratch to play for a team that should be aspiring to top a Euro Qualifying Table.

I imagine Traps order of prefernce is Green, Gibson and then Wilson. I would predict green to start with the other 2 on the bench.

Like I have said before, I don't always agree with Trap, but I do 100% trust his judgement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Wilson is actually very good as a DM could see him playing some part.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Dimitri

I prefer Gibson over Green for the midfield, Green is a decent tackler and ball winner but really doesn't offer anything going forward, on the other hand while Gibson is capable of collecting the ball from the defence and making some good passes and is capable of making tackles when necessary i believe we are sacraficing some defensive strenght by playing him which against Russia could be our undoing. Plaing Gibson is slightly riskier if we end up on the back foot early on but i think he could significantly increase our chances of taking 3 points which should be the aim for a home game imho.

Dimitri wrote: »
    I prefer Gibson over Green for the midfield, Green is a decent tackler and ball winner but really doesn't offer anything going forward, on the other hand while Gibson is capable of collecting the ball from the defence and making some good passes and is capable of making tackles when necessary i believe we are sacraficing some defensive strenght by playing him which against Russia could be our undoing. Plaing Gibson is slightly riskier if we end up on the back foot early on but i think he could significantly increase our chances of taking 3 points which should be the aim for a home game imho.

In fairness, Gibson, Whelan and Andrews V France & Italy were legendary.

To think we could change what has been a fairly solid, workman like midfield against very tough opposition is a little worrying. I knwo Andrews is out obviously - but would common sense dictate that maybe, the just about starting 11 Man U player should get the nod?

I know that ideally I'd like Andrews to partner Whelan, but with him out, surely it has to be Gibson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

has the team been announced yet? I'm in work and cant access any site... apart from boards.ie :S

thorbarry wrote: »
    has the team been announced yet? I'm in work and cant access any site... apart from boards.ie :S

Don't think so. Not on RTÉ or FAI sites yet anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭fkiely

Hope Gibson doesn't start personally. Not his type of game this. Green will at least battle away and break up the Russian play. Gibson offers very little defensively or even going forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,468 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Team named for the game tomorrow:

Republic of Ireland: Shay Given (Manchester City), John O'Shea (Manchester United), Sean St Ledger (Preston NE), Richard Dunne (Aston Villa), Kevin Kilbane (Hull City); Liam Lawrence (Portsmouth), Glenn Whelan (Stoke City), Paul Green (Derby County), Aiden McGeady (Spartak Moscow); Robbie Keane (Spurs), Kevin Doyle (Wolves).

As unsurprising as usual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

Team named for the game tomorrow:

Republic of Ireland: Shay Given (Manchester City), John O'Shea (Manchester United), Sean St Ledger (Preston NE), Richard Dunne (Aston Villa), Kevin Kilbane (Hull City); Liam Lawrence (Portsmouth), Glenn Whelan (Stoke City), Paul Green (Derby County), Aiden McGeady (Spartak Moscow); Robbie Keane (Spurs), Kevin Doyle (Wolves).

As unsurprising as usual.

Still.. no McShane which is a bonus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Kristian_

I just hope this team can do the business, obviously we know where our weaknesses are. We really need McGeady to work his socks off and help Kilbane out.
    Green ahead of Gibson doesn't fill me with joy but like another poster said I guess we'll just have to trust Trap's judgement at his stage.
    Come on Ireland!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Just heard the team hasn't changed, not great but hopefully they are learning how to play together as a team, i wasn't really expecting any changes tbh.

I'm not confident without a ball player in the middle of the park.

Our best performances (France & Italy) we got the ball down and played decent football. We can't do that without a ball playing CM on the pitch.

Andrews is decent - he's injured. Gibson is streets ahead of Green IMO but he's on the bench.

Very disappointing. We're going to be lumping the ball up to Doyle, hoping he can hold it up for McGeady & Keane, and hoping we can get a scrappy chance or a lucky break, just like the last two games were we played awful football.

We can beat Russia if we play, but they'll terrorise us if we keep hoofing the ball back to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 847 ✭✭✭wicklowdub

Team is set up to try and contain Russia by the looks of it and take our chances on the break and set pieces.

wicklowdub wrote: »
    Team is set up to try and contain Russia by the looks of it and take our chances on the break and set pieces.

Exactly, not going to work. We didn't do that against France or Italy - yet resort to that at home against Russia??

Doesn't make sense to me.

Contain them by not allowing them have the ball would be my preferred option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

wicklowdub wrote: »

Yeah and I think I'm right in saying there isn't a premiership goal in our staring 11 this season which has to be worrying. As good as Doyle is at what he does his goal scoring record is poorish and we obviously can't expect Keane to be at his sharpist.

I hate being negative when it comes to our national team because we usually over-achieve for the size of our nation and honesty of effort is always spot on but I haven't been this pessimistic about upcoming internationals since the stan era.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Reaganomical

Looking forward to this game. Day off tomorrow, up in Dublin early for it. The Russians are nowhere near the team they were in 2008. I think we are on for another great day 2:1 Ireland.

Exactly, not going to work. We didn't do that against France or Italy - yet resort to that at home against Russia??

Doesn't make sense to me.

Contain them by not allowing them have the ball would be my preferred option.

I don't honestly think we have the players on the pitch to do that Lawerence is solid but Mcgeady seems to put his head down and run and all too often squanders ball, but he does give us energy and can be dangerous and he is our only realistic option at the moment. Whelan is a good tackler and has been solid for us but he isn't exactly creative with his passing while Green has even less experience then Gibson and as has been pointed out Gibson is on the fringes of the UTD xi, he's no Scholesy but he his a creative player Green never seems to make a forward pass, he battles hard but seems to be limited to just that. However it is fair to say that Gibson would have to adapt his style of play to fit into Traps model of play and in fairness Trap has been pulling results out of the bag with what can only be described as an average Irish team.

Obviously i'm hopeful for 3 points but i'm expecting a very tight very boring match which i will be quite happy to see end nil all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭FlawedGenius

I think a draw is a certainty. After taking 6 points from 2 our mentality will be to not lose. If we do get chances we need to take them because I cant see us creating much unless Mcgeady has a stormer. Keane must be very rusty and usually misses alot of chances anyway:rolleyes:
    To be honest I think we have as much chance of beating Slovakia away, our away performances are usually better, Macedonia nearly got a point there only for a late goal so a win is possible.
    Need our two wingers to have stormers, especially Mcgeady, needs to help Kilbane!!:(:mad:

I think a draw is a certainty. After taking 6 points from 2 our mentality will be to not lose. If we do get chances we need to take them because I cant see us creating much unless Mcgeady has a stormer. Keane must be very rusty and usually misses alot of chances anyway:rolleyes:
    To be honest I think we have as much chance of beating Slovakia away, our away performances are usually better, Macedonia nearly got a point there only for a late goal so a win is possible.
    Need our two wingers to have stormers, especially Mcgeady, needs to help Kilbane!!:(:mad:

I've all the time in the world for Kilbane he has been a great servant there has been no shortage of professionalism from him over the years but age is catching up on him and he isn't a natural left back. He did have a stormer in the last match but he has been caught out a couple of times now to say the least and I feel its time he was replaced, the greatest of intentions and wonderful attitude are not going to see him to the finals if we qualify so its best we get a replacement in now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Green's weaknesses were exposed against Armenia, only they weren't good enough to punish us for them. Russia will be. I think he is a major concern if he gives the ball away so easily once again. Kilbane is another concern.

I have a feeling this will be the like the game against Bulgaria in Dublin in the last campaign where they were looking like the home side and we had to rely on some Richard Dunne heroics to get through it. Thank goodness he's fit. My feeling is a draw is the best we can get from this one as we have picked players that shouldn't be involved.

• Advertisement

Is Stephen Ward injured atm? i can't see why he isn't being brought in in place of Kilbane

Kilbane and Green are huge risk starters. I'll be delighted if they don't look out of place, never mind good.

Dimitri wrote: »
    Is Stephen Ward injured atm? i can't see why he isn't being brought in in place of Kilbane

Nope, missed the training camp due to surgery though. The fact that he is simply light years better than Kilbane should have made him an exception to the rule.

Greg Cunningham would be another option but the few times i've seen Ward play he's been solid and productive.

And getting a regular game in the Premier League. Kilbane is barely featuring for an average Championship team. Yes, Ward missed the training camp, but surely Trap or his scouts have watched Wolves. He should have been fast tracked to first choice left back just because he's a vast improvement on anything else we have. :confused:

All is forgiven if we get 3 pts tomorrow...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 731 ✭✭✭inmyday

Kilbane and Green are huge risk starters. I'll be delighted if they don't look out of place, never mind good.

Kilbane has started every game under Trap. So I dont know why you say hes a risk.
    And sure last season he sat on the bench all year. this year hes played quite a few times. I think 6 apps out of 11/12 games.... Trap must like him alot.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

inmyday wrote: »
    Kilbane has started every game under Trap. So I dont know why you say hes a risk.
    'Cause he's not good enough, he was a risk before and has cost us, and is a risk now. The fact Trap keeps picking him doesn't make him less of a risk

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

inmyday wrote: »
    And sure last season he sat on the bench all year. this year hes played quite a few times. I think 6 apps out of 11/12 games.... Trap must like him alot.
    He single handedly cost us 4 points against Bulgaria over those two games. He wasn't up to it then and he was featuring intermittently for Hull. 16 minutes of football for Hull in their last 5 games he's played. He's a liability and that's putting it lighty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

Voltwad wrote: »
    He single handedly cost us 4 points against Bulgaria over those two games. He wasn't up to it then and he was featuring intermittently for Hull. 16 minutes of football for Hull in their last 5 games he's played. He's a liability and that's putting it lighty

Bit harsh, the own goal was a bit unlucky against Italy and most people saw that match as a point gained rather than 2 points dropped.
    I think we will win 2moro, it won't be pretty but we should get 3 points. Everyone is talking about the weak midfield we have but Russia hasn't impressed me greatly so far tbh, they were poor against Slovakia.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 731 ✭✭✭inmyday

'Cause he's not good enough, he was a risk before and has cost us, and is a risk now. The fact Trap keeps picking him doesn't make him less of a risk

We all know Kilbane, hes no Messi, I think we can agree on that. But he does a job, he was solid against France in paris. He has played poorly for Ireland, but I think Trap is happy with his back 4 when all are fit (oshea, dunne, st ledger, kilbane) and doesnt want to change it.
    He could have a nightmare tomorrow, but so could half of the irish players, not all are regular first team players like kilbane. I dont think Kilbane deserves the abuse he gets.

• Advertisement
Advertisement