Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rep of Ireland v Russia - 8th/Oct/2010

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 731 ✭✭✭inmyday

Voltwad wrote: »
    He single handedly cost us 4 points against Bulgaria over those two games. He wasn't up to it then and he was featuring intermittently for Hull. 16 minutes of football for Hull in their last 5 games he's played. He's a liability and that's putting it lighty

"Single Handedly"???? eh no, they were own goals... I recommend you watch these games again, cause im sure thats all you remember from them. 10 other players on a team too.
    Now i agree he is past it, maybe its time he hung up his boots. he may well make a mistake tomorrow.... After paris, it was perfect timing to retire, but he was asked by trap and brady to stay on... Maybe hes in the team because trap feels there is noone else up to the job yet??? cunningham too young? what ya think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

inmyday wrote: »
    "Single Handedly"???? eh no, they were own goals... I recommend you watch these games again, cause im sure thats all you remember from them. 10 other players on a team too.
    Now i agree he is past it, maybe its time he hung up his boots. he may well make a mistake tomorrow.... After paris, it was perfect timing to retire, but he was asked by trap and brady to stay on... Maybe hes in the team because trap feels there is noone else up to the job yet??? cunningham too young? what ya think?

Kilbane played poorly in those games. It's not just about the OGs. As for Cunningham being too young, that's probably true but it's a poor argument for keeping Kilbane on since O'Shea is well capable of playing left-back, whilst we have right-backs who are more ready than Cunningham is at left-back.

Kilbane is a weak link and from watching footage of Russia against Slovakia, most of their most promising attacks came down the right flank which is Kilbane territory. If they don't target him with pace tomorrow I'll be very surprised.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 731 ✭✭✭inmyday

Kilbane played poorly in those games. It's not just about the OGs. As for Cunningham being too young, that's probably true but it's a poor argument for keeping Kilbane on since O'Shea is well capable of playing left-back, whilst we have right-backs who are more ready than Cunningham is at left-back.

Kilbane is a weak link and from watching footage of Russia against Slovakia, most of their most promising attacks came down the right flank which is Kilbane territory. If they don't target him with pace tomorrow I'll be very surprised.

Bit harsh on the man, but I hear ya... Its easy for us to say put Oshea there and play Kelly rightback, but Trap still loves him. As much as I like and admire Kilbane maybe he should retire, but I wouldnt if the manager picked me, would you?
    Also, I dont know know where Arshavin is playing, hopefully left wing. but if he switched, killer would struggle against him.

Also let me ask you and the lads above, what about our best players (Given, Dunne, Keane), Given and Keane cant get a game, and from watching some Villa games, Dunne hasnt been on form, especially against Newcastle. Id be more worried about these players tomorrow. Hopefully Doyle can do the business, he was amazing against Wigan, our best player by a mile at the moment.

Id be delighted with a draw.

Bit harsh on the man, but I hear ya... Its easy for us to say put Oshea there and play Kelly rightback, but Trap still loves him. As much as I like and admire Kilbane maybe he should retire, but I wouldnt if the manager picked me, would you?
    Also, I dont know know where Arshavin is playing, hopefully left wing. but if he switched, killer would struggle against him.

Also let me ask you and the lads above, what about our best players (Given, Dunne, Keane), Given and Keane cant get a game, and from watching some Villa games, Dunne hasnt been on form, especially against Newcastle. Id be more worried about these players tomorrow. Hopefully Doyle can do the business, he was amazing against Wigan, our best player by a mile at the moment.

I'd say set pieces will be our best hope to nick a goal. I am also worried about our key players not having games under their belt. Hopefully it won't end up being a problem but who knows. Doyle has been impressive so a MOTM display from him could do the trick. I just hope Keane and Doyle get enough service.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

I wouldn't say i'd be delighted with a draw, happy yes, delighted no. We have to respect Russia but we can be as good as them, i don't think the players will be too afraid of them either, hopefully Arshavin has one of his off days which he has a lot of the time. Kilbane and Green really are the weak links clearly. It will be tough again on McGeady as i'm sure he will be double marked and will not get much support from Kilbane going forward, its a tricky one. At least as said before in the thread if we had Gibson, who i'm not really a fan of, but if he was there instead of Green it would give us that bit more of an attacking option, instead of just lobbing the ball at Doyle all day.

I'd be delighted with a win whatever way it comes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

I have money on Dunne to be 1st goalscorer. That's the type of game I think it'll be!:D Hoping for a scrappy win but I'd take a draw. Losing just isn't an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Kristian_

I know what you mean we all expect the three mentioned above to be at the top of their game. Dunne has been shaky at times for Villa so far this season but I expect a solid performance from him nonetheless. Robbie and Shay are'nt playing for their clubs, but I still think (hope) they can produce for us. They should be fresh & raring to go.:pac:
    I just hope we can get some decent service to Keane & Doyle and not just hoof & hope for the full 90. We are becoming very predictable. Robbie has been squandering alot of chances for us recently so lets hope he is on form tomorrow night and nets a few.
    I wouldn't be delighted with a draw, Lansdowne will be rocking, we need to take our chances and grab the group by the scruff of the neck and bag the 3 points.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/soccer/russians-set-to-target-kilbane-132783.html

Not exactly a shocker.
    Sources in Moscow say that manager Dick Advocaat has identified evergreen full-back Kilbane as a player to attack and is considering starting the speedy Vladimir Bystrov on the right in a bid to unsettle the Hull City man.

Zenit St Petersburg’s Bystrov – a 26-year-old regarded as one of the quickest players in European football – came off the bench as a substitute in Russia’s shock home loss to Slovakia, a result which means Advocaat is expected to stick with a 4-3-3 formation in a bid to redeem that defeat with victory in Dublin.

"From now on every match will be a decisive battle for us," the manager said before flying out of Moscow with his squad. "We lost to Slovakia at home, now we have no other choice but to win in away matches. We should continue playing our style in the upcoming matches, controlling play and forcing our opponents to adjust to our style, not vice versa. That’s the key to success in the upcoming matches."

They will have to do so, however, without the injured Roman Pavlyuchenko but Marco Tardelli doesn’t believe that the absence of the Spurs striker will make Ireland’s task any easier tomorrow night.

"Russia have many good players, many good strikers," said Ireland’s assistant manager after training in Gannon Park yesterday. "If Pavlyuchenko is out it’s ok for us but it’s not ok for him. I am very sad for him. But they have other strong strikers and it doesn’t change our approach."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

In all fairness that particular tidbit is as likely to have come from the imagination of the journo than be actually based on fact. "Sources in Moscow" indeed. I'd say the Examiner has loads of 'em.:pac:

• Advertisement

The thing that worries me most (apart from Kilbane and Green obviously) is: what do we do if Russia get a goal or two early? What's Plan B? This is where the lack of creative players in the squad could come back to haunt us.
    flahavaj wrote: »
    In all fairness that particular tidbit is as likely to have come from the imagination of the journo than be actually based on fact. "Sources in Moscow" indeed. I'd say the Examiner has loads of 'em :pac:

I'd believe it, even if it's a bit Chinese whispers esq. Sources in Moscow = used Google translator to view opinion in Russian papers, who in turn got information that Advocaat was studying videos of Ireland games and background details of how the players are doing at club level.

Could go either way, and this is probably letting the heart rule the head, but I'll predict 2-1 Ireland. Keane and McGeady (long overdue one).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,431 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

No excuses tomorrow we must win and thats it.

If we are serious about topping the group then 3 points tomorrow night is a must. it's been quiet some time since we beat a big team at home so we are due one.

I hope to god that picking Kilbane and Green wont come back to haunt us.

If it's true they'll target Kilbane that is a worry. I figured they would target him but I'm not familiar with the Russian lad mentioned in the piece. Dzagoev did look dangerous in the game against Slovakia and like I said earlier, the highlights show many of their attacks coming down the right flank.

Check out 2:22 to 3:10, 5:40, 6:48 and 8:00.

Honestly I'd have thought Dzagoev would be enough of a handful but if this other guy Bystrov is even more pacey then that's troubling.

On the plus side the highlights of Slovakia's attacks seem to show Russia looking dodgy in their full-back areas, and that's usually where we are at our most creative, so if McGeady and Lawrence perform well we might be able to get at them.

I must say I'm eagerly looking forward to it even though I think it could be tough going.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Kristian_

Anyone know what the signal for radio is like in the stadium to pick up commentary on your mobile?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

oh jesus not another versus thread!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Looking forward to tonight now.

I think it will finish 1-1, I don't think we are inventive enough to create the amount of chances needed. Apart from McGeady, our midfield lacks the creativity you need against teams like Russia.

Expect us to be without the ball for long periods too. Doyle has a big job of holding the ball up, Kilbane may get done for pace if the Russian lad Bystrov starts. Will be interesting to see how sharp Keane is and how involved he will be. We need him and Richard Dunne to stand up and lead the way tonight. 3 points would be a massive boost.

Nerves are really building up now. :( I'll never forgive Trap if Kilbane costs us again tonight, we had plenty of better options to avoid playing him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭CR 7

adamski8 wrote: »
    oh jesus not another versus thread!

:pac:

Needs a poll to be legit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

ColeTrain wrote: »
    Looking forward to tonight now.

I think it will finish 1-1, I don't think we are inventive enough to create the amount of chances needed. Apart from McGeady, our midfield lacks the creativity you need against teams like Russia.

Expect us to be without the ball for long periods too. Doyle has a big job of holding the ball up, Kilbane may get done for pace if the Russian lad Bystrov starts. Will be interesting to see how sharp Keane is and how involved he will be. We need him and Richard Dunne to stand up and lead the way tonight. 3 points would be a massive boost.

McGeady is pretty meh though.. I predict 1-1, Dunne and Kerchakov

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

Heading up to Dublin at 2, drinking already. Come on Ireland! I hope Kilbane scores as well for all the abuse he's getting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Prufrock

Russia have been awful so far. Hopefully their form will carry over to tonight. 1-0 Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Prufrock wrote: »
    Russia have been awful so far. Hopefully their form will carry over to tonight. 1-0 Ireland.

As Advocaat said now they have no choice but to try win away games now so they should come out attacking us. Hopefully our lads do the business and grab a 1-0 or 2-0 victory. I really do believe we can do it, i do have the usual butterflys in my stomach already though.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭tribesman78

Hate saying it but think we will be hockeied by the Russians. We have not won a decent competitive fixture for years. Trap has got us organised but we really lack a cutting edge and creativity. His style of football was very similar to Kerr(who ruined the Irish team IMO) I really hope i'm wrong.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,357 ✭✭✭naughto

i think or best chance is if we nick one late on in the game say around the 60 minute and then defend it like we allways do.but if there 1up at half time we will be finished.or midfield is very poor green shouldnot be there,kilban tries his best but surly we have better i nthe squad and hes pushing on now as well.kean need to score as well do megeedy as he has not played well for ire in ages

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Killer scored in the last game. Maybe he'll be on a buzz and his confidence will be high.

I predict a Maradona-esque dribble down the centre by Kilbane from box to box, and finishing with an overhead bicycle kick somehow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,328 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

I'm looking forward to the game, but am worried about it,

I would rather us do well tonight and feck up on Tuesday, than feck up tonight and have a bigger chance of fecking up on Tuesday.

Truth is for some reason we always raise the game and play well against the bigger teams in the group.

Still I don't like seeing Green in the centre, he has come from nowhere to get that spot and in all fairness I think he should have stayed there. I hope he proves me wrong tonight though.

I think we will miss Duff, we badly missed him in the first 2 games, interesting to read in the Mirror today that Trap supposedly would have stuck with McGeady ahead of Duff - I'm sure hoping that is just to give the kid a confidence boost!

I don't think we'll keep a clean sheet, and I don't see us scoring more than once, so I'm gonna hope we get away from this with a 1-1.

I don't think we'll keep a clean sheet, and I don't see us scoring more than once, so I'm gonna hope we get away from this with a 1-1.

If we don't and Russia get the first we could be in trouble. Green is an accident waiting to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

Starting to get nervous now :(

Right now i'd take a draw, but a win really would be precious and perhaps take off a bit of pressure for the Tuesday game. If we have to go Slovakia on the back of a home defeat, i'd be very worried about our chances.

Prediction time; If we play like we can play 1:0, If we stand off them and let them control the tempo 0:2....and a bleak outlook for our chances of qualification.

Armenia V Slovakia has just kicked off.

I shall be keeping a very keen eye on that match, an Armenian win would be fantastic for us....and it's not wholly impossible.

KungPao wrote: »
    Armenia V Slovakia has just kicked off.

I shall be keeping a very keen eye on that match, an Armenian win would be fantastic for us....and it's not wholly impossible.

Tough game for the Slovaks.

• Advertisement

Tough game for the Slovaks.

Indeed.

Armenia are decent and it's not easy to go there...I'm glad we've been and gone, and got the points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

KungPao wrote: »
    Indeed.

Armenia are decent and it's not easy to go there...I'm glad we've been and gone, and got the points.

Yep, was a good win for us from a very sticky place to go. I'm really hoping they get something out of Slovakia, would be excellent for us.

Watching the Slovak game now. Armenia having the better of it so far.

1-0 Armenia!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,395 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Lovely finish from that lad, through the legs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 874 ✭✭✭JamBur

Watching the Slovak game now. Armenia having the better of it so far.

where are you watching it?

Get the fuck in!

Yep, was a good win for us from a very sticky place to go. I'm really hoping they get something out of Slovakia, would be excellent for us.

Let's sing it;

COME....ON....ARMEEE...NIA
    COME ON ARMENIA
    COME ON ARMEEE
    COME ON ARMENIA!

JamBur wrote: »

http://gizawya.info/

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Jigga

JamBur wrote: »
    Setanta Ireland are showing it.

Slovaks seriously rocked.

Jigga wrote: »
    Setanta Ireland are showing it.

even better again:)

IF this armenia game stays this way it'll obviously be good points-wise but would also give the Irish lads a boost for later on.

I'm dreaming here but imagine this for tonight; Ireland 9pts, Slovakia 6pts, Russia 3pts

:)

EDIT; Shiiit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,395 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

1-1 :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

1-1

Great goal, they really fizz the passes about. I've always been impressed by the Slovaks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,431 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Balls

The pattern of how this game will finish is obvious - we'll get our hopes up and in the last minute Slovakia nick a jammy 2-1. Written in the stars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Shaque attack

Any sign of the Russian team being named?

• Advertisement
Advertisement