Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minecraft Videos

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Good luck

Personally, I don't get it...at all....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

It looks like a game made specifically to cater for people with Auspergers syndrome - doing the same thing over and over and over, nothing changes, mine mine mine mine mine...ZZzzzz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Don't knock it just because its not for You, My young fella(11) plays lots of this and is admin on a server. Its actually very artistic and creative and just as educational as G-Mod or the HL2 build servers which has taken his time before this. They start with a blank map and end up with amazing works of art created everywhere

128936.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

Love this game :)

@Nehxak Don't make fun of the Autistic.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

holy crap that's awesome. And yes, Minecraft is addictive. Very addictive. :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

Just heard of this recently , interesting, prob not something I'd play now but would have loved years ago. It'd look great with cell shaded graphics imo.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Sisko wrote: »
    Just heard of this recently , interesting, prob not something I'd play now but would have loved years ago. It'd look great with cell shaded graphics imo.

Why wouldn't you play it now? :confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

Nehaxak wrote: »
    It looks like a game made specifically to cater for people with Auspergers syndrome - doing the same thing over and over and over, nothing changes, mine mine mine mine mine...ZZzzzz

And yet, the ironic thing about that statement is that I'm an Aspie and yet I find the game to be relatively boring in comparison to everything else in my game library. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KilOit

I could see a real modern version of this in few years time with amazing graphics with same concept, the crappy graphics are a huge turn off for me unfortunately,
    as previous poster said i probably would of played it as a kid when i was mad into lego and meccano, pity the same desire to build amazing stuff from nothing didn't continue into adulthood :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Noting the giant Mario in the above pic, I always am bemused at why the first thing people seem to do when they have the ability to create content is just recreate other people's content :pac: And it's always Mario!

I like the look of this game, but seems like it takes more time than I'm willing to invest. LBP2 is looking like my heavy time commitment instead. The concept of a virtual lego box is fascinating though, and do indeed look forward to viewing some of this stuff.

Also,
    I saw a trailer somewhere that suggests enemies show up after a looonnnnggg time? Anyone know how that works?

• Advertisement

Enemies spawn in the dark and at night :)

Noting the giant Mario in the above pic, I always am bemused at why the first thing people seem to do when they have the ability to create content is just recreate other people's content :pac: And it's always Mario!

I like the look of this game, but seems like it takes more time than I'm willing to invest. LBP2 is looking like my heavy time commitment instead. The concept of a virtual lego box is fascinating though, and do indeed look forward to viewing some of this stuff.

Also,
    I saw a trailer somewhere that suggests enemies show up after a looonnnnggg time? Anyone know how that works?

The concept of the game is to survive.

At night enemies spawn in dark areas and can kill you, so the objective on day one, for example, is to make a shelter and get yourself some light. You can make a workbench and build axes, tiles, windows etc etc, depending on the resource you buy. And little by little you can reshape the world in whatever way you want then.

At night enemies spawn in dark areas and can kill you, so the objective on day one, for example, is to make a shelter and get yourself some light. You can make a workbench and build axes, tiles, windows etc etc, depending on the resource you buy. And little by little you can reshape the world in whatever way you want then.

The objective of Alpha right now is Survival, Notch has mentioned other game modes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Any idea of the min specs required? I've heard there has been FPS issues and my crappy comp might not be able to handle it.

List your specs and I'll help you out :)

Any idea of the min specs required? I've heard there has been FPS issues and my crappy comp might not be able to handle it.

Well I have no issues on a P4 2.8ghz, 1GB RAM and an Intel GMA 950 so....

XP, 3700+, 7600GT and 1GB RAM.

Also I assume that buying into the Alpha version it entitles you to free future updates?

Maybe, my laptop can run it so your PC should (1.86 gHz Core Duo (NOT core 2) that constantly downclocks to 800mHz when it overheats, resulting in lag when at max temp, but it quickly shoots back up).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

But whats the end goal ? ...when do you stop ?
    Can you have 20 ppl running around building on the same level...

e.g. Could I go onto that server with mario..and not that I would...build something on his head or change him around ?

There is no end goal, you make your own goals.
    Might be able to, haven't been on an SMP (survival multi player) server yet.

• Advertisement

SeantheMan wrote: »

e.g. Could I go onto that server with mario..and not that I would...build something on his head or change him around ?

I suspect that they wouldn't allow just anyone onto that map. Could you imagine the ensuing destruction! Anyway, I was reading a little bit on the website and apparently the designer plans to incorporate some type of meta-goal beyond survival in a later edition of the game.

You'll get an idea of what is about if you look at some of the tutorials on youtube.

SeantheMan wrote: »
    But whats the end goal ? ...when do you stop ?
    Can you have 20 ppl running around building on the same level...

Most servers have public and private maps, those that grieve or annoy others stay on public, those who behave get invited to the private maps. Its bad manners to alter something someone else has created, there's lots of space to create and maps get wiped every so often. There's some very talented people on the private servers, I've been given tours of the maps by the Young Fella looking at some of the stuff created, amazing stuff, people often work together or even in teams creating castles, sculptures etc, very creative

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Love the video pal, minecraft lets plays are great. Subbed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Kersmash

likewise! subbed. i must get my hands on this game. it looks like one i'd get so addicted to and love forever.

Subbed also, a lot better than most other Minecraft vids!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

Any idea of the min specs required?

Sinclair Spectrum 48k minimum requirements, going by the state of the graphics.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

These are from the forums and not a definitive list but should be a good guideline
    Minimum Requirements:
    CPU: 1.5+ GHz multi-core processor, 2.0+ GHz single-core processor
    RAM/Memory: 1.0+ GB for Xp, 1.5+ GB for Windows 7-32 bit, 2.0+ GB for Vista/Mac OS, 3.0+ GB for Windows 7-64 bit
    Graphic card: Must support OpenGL 1.4 or better (if the computer is a laptop and uses an Intel Graphic Processor, check here, otherwise if it is from Nvidia/Ati, you should be fine)there is another variable in this that affects gameplay so no additional info until then
    Hard Drive Space: 80+ MB of free space (might need more as Notch might add more stuff later on)

Recommended Requirements: (game should be running at least 60 fps, or 30 fps when it is loading chunks)
    CPU: 2.0+ GHz multi-core processor, 2.5+ GHz single-core processor
    RAM/Memory: 2.0+ GB for Xp, 3.0+ GB for Vista/Win 7/Mac OS, 4.0+ GB for all 64-bit Operating Systems
    Graphic Card: ATI/Nvidia independent card that support OpenGL 2.0 with 128+ MB of dedicated G-RAM
    Hard Drive Space: 256+ MB of free space

Ye we get it, you don't like/get it :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Nehaxak wrote: »

The 'sparse' graphics add something to the charm of the game.

The 'sparse' graphics add something to the charm of the game.

Means anyone can play it, not just pc enthusiasts, widens the market

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

I love the game but it runs like a complete dog on my not-so-old laptop. For something that looks so basic I can't understand how it performs so bad.

addictive as hell though.

Advertisement