Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

coop office

Options
  • 26-09-2010 3:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 48

on a scale or one to ten or minus ten, how would one rate them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭mayo_lad

5 out of 10

because they do there best with limited resources.
    One person to place every one in a faculty was ok when they only had to place 500 students but now they have to place over 1,000 students a year . there should be 1.5 members of staff for every faculty at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

If they're the same crowd as the teaching practice office......AWFUL!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭cson

I wouldn't have had the best of experiences with them but to be fair with the jobs market the way it is they probably have one of the toughest jobs out there so I do have a certain degree of sympathy.

I do think they could improve on communication to students; i.e. let them know exactly where they stand - it doesn't take to long to send an email to give interview feedback/cv tips/likelihood of placement/who the CV is gone into.

I also wouldn't agree the way they have it where either you use them for placement or you get it yourself - you should be able to do both of these as obviously both parties are working toward the same goal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭entropic

I go on co-op in January and this year has been my first dealing with the office. Hearing the stories of most students I thought that it was going to be awful working with them.

Their communication is fine, a 30 slide presentation that was given to everyone was emailed out after the talk. There was a lot of handy interview tips and advice. Our placement officer has been very helpful too making himself available to talk whenever suits us. We also find out in week 4 or 5 who our C.V has been given to.

As for arranging your own, I can ee where they are coming from. It looks incredibly poor on UL if a company comes in to interview 15 people offers 4 of them jobs just to find out then that 2 have been taken of the market. UL go to companies and tell them here, take your pick of our students and breaking that word is not going to help when they are asked to take on people again next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,960 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Quick question:

Does the Co-op help students with accommodation?

I don't mean actually find it for them, but tips, feedback, etc?

Bear in mind that I'm getting an Own Placement. :o

• Advertisement

Afaik they don't.

cson wrote: »
    Afaik they don't.

Yeah I just checked :o
    Thanks. Worth a shot.

Well I'm off the records, and down as an Own Placement. I just have to get a letter of offer/contract from the company and then I'll be laughin' :)

are you staying in Ireland or going abroad

Busi

mayo_lad wrote: »
    are you staying in Ireland or going abroad

Busi

Dublin :)

Get a gaff on the Green Line Luas if you can. Easiest and most reliable way to get around.

• Advertisement

It's in EastPoint Business park, so just a stone's throw away from the DART station. Pretty nifty :)

I have family in Clontarf, so if all else fail I can crash with them before I get sorted.

you'll be fine there's plenty of houses to rent in dublin they are expencive tho your best shot would be some where on the dart line if it is that close to work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭pinkdiamond

they are absolutely useless. i'd give them -10!!
    they old me about all these fantastic co-op opportunities that they had come across that i had a great chance of getting in december. i went back in february to ask what happened to these "fantastic opportunites" and they had no idea what i was on about. the communication between them is terrible and it doesnt help that they all seem to do split placements!
    i ended up finding my own placement as they hadnt set me up with any interviews at all!! and so i had to fill out forms with the details of my placement. they lost the forms! and then tried to blame it on me! i had to continuouslly fight my case until they admitted losing them and i had to all the work again.
    i've currently been on coop now 5 months and only last week did i hear anything from them to confirm it. and that was only after i emailed them wondering what was going on. they told me i should've known they weren't going to contact me if i had gone to some meeting that i hadn't even heard of!!
    last week they sent me a big folder in the post with forms and information to go through before i board my flight to AMERICA for my coop. i got my coop in galway!!

they are lazy and incompentant and so far have only caused me extreme frustration. my advice, if you want coop- get it yourself and stay as far away as you can from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭TwilightFan88

The Co-Op Office don't know their arses from their elbows!

A pack of gob****es - how do they screw up someone's QCA and therefore NEVER send out that student's CV!

The TAN man is the WORST ever

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭ulinbac

They do an alright job with what they have but its not great. All they get is accounting jobs with companies.

Showed them my CV once and got told that no employer would be interested in it due to the layout. CV was made up by 2 cousins husbands who are quite high up in financial firms! Got interviews with it also :).

Just shows that a number of them in there are so used to looking at student CVs that they don't recognise a proper CV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 JellyBeana

The Co-Op Office don't know their arses from their elbows!

A pack of gob****es - how do they screw up someone's QCA and therefore NEVER send out that student's CV!

The TAN man is the WORST ever

If your QCA isn't great they don't send out your CV?!

Advertisement