Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Power Snooker

• 26-09-2010 9:18am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭

http://www.worldsnooker.com/news%28Power_Snooker%29-2479.htm

Sounds pretty interesting, looking forward to it. Do you think events like these will help bring snooker to a wider audience? I enjoy watching the more traditional setup too, but hopefully a few extra 'novelty' events like this will draw in a new crowd.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭zack01

This should be great fun, no ranking points at stake,It's held over one day, players will be relaxed and interacting with the audience, it's basically a glorified exhibition but with a twist.
    It's main purpose is to reach out to a wider audience and attract new viewers to watch the sport who then may in future tune into the regular events.
    People have being saying for so long that
    there are no characters in the game, well
    there are plenty and this event should break that taboo because there willbe plenty of laughs.
    Two final points, firstly this event will see snooker return to ITV which hopefully will see more events return to the channel, and secondly a fantastic young talent from Belgium Luca Brecel will be one of the players competing, I've seen this young lad play and I have to say he's one of the best young players I've seen in a long time and in my opinion a future top player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

Who do you think will be commentating on ITV?

Good question, Taylor Virgo etc are contracted to the BBC, John Pullman who used to be the number one commentator for ITV has sadly died so I'm guessing maybe the likes of reporter and snooker journalist Clive Everton as their lead?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

Yeah Clive would be good, I think he is/was the main snooker correspondent for the guardian and he's been on the bbc in the past. Tis a shame Virgo, Taylor, JP, Davis etc are contracted - one of the reasons I enjoy watching the snooker is the great atmosphere between the commentators.

Btw looked up Luca Brecel, very promising young lad. There's a great video of him knocking in a century in practice in about 3 minutes on youtube - and that was with him replacing the colours himself!

Yeah saw him play in a pro am in the UK last year, looks the real deal, if he adapts to the tv cameras and lights the game could have a great prospect on it's hands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

The bbc are overflowing with ex players who can commentate, summarise etc. Even Hendry is at it now, so if snooker returns to ITV they won't have a problem finding players looking for gigs.

I think Clive Everton is a big loss to the BBC after all these years, or maybe he wanted to wind down a bit at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭irish147

i know the great Clive Everton-- he has a super voice, and when you talk with him, its a voice you like to hear non-stop

hope the bbc will have Clive Everton back for uk champs, and world snooker
    The bbc are overflowing with ex players who can commentate, summarise etc. Even Hendry is at it now, so if snooker returns to ITV they won't have a problem finding players looking for gigs.

I think Clive Everton is a big loss to the BBC after all these years, or maybe he wanted to wind down a bit at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭AngryLoner

I'd love to hear Clive Everton commentating again. So sick of listening to Taylor and et al banging on about the old days and making crap jokes which surely piss the players off when there is a sudden and inexplicable ripple of laughter from the audience.

Advertisement