Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Any other men on boards who hate football and the gaa.

• 26-09-2010 9:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭

I fookin hate football and the gaa. My hate for these sports is only equaled by my disdain for x-factor and shows of its ilk. I really cant see why these sports are considered entertainment.

Also could any football and gaa fans explain why they love these sports so much. Is it genuine love or social conditioning.

Boxing, MMA and even rugby are way more entertaining to watch but they arent nearly as popular.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Haven't watched a soccer match in years, have never attended an Ireland international and probably never will.
    Went to Celtic Park in Glasgow once and was certainly wasn't excited.

And once my county played in the All Ireland final, I had no interest so went to the cinema on my own and had the place to myself, bliss :)

I do love American football though, I watch that every Sunday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Predator_

Give up the anti-Irish threads will ya.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=67233309#post67233309

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055986590

This is an Irish forum. If you don't like the Irish then why post here?

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭deise48

soccer hurling and gaelic football rocks

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Predator_ wrote: »

How is this an anti irish thread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭scientific1982

How is me not liking the gaa equivalent to me not liking Irish people. Answer please.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I'm not aware of the OP's past threads.
    It's a perfectly valid thread I reckon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭sponsoredwalk

deise48 wrote: »
    soccer hurling and gaelic football rocks

Never seen anyone play any of these sports with rocks, I'd pay to see that!

amiable wrote: »
    How is this an anti irish thread?

If an Irish nationalist made a thread about hating soccer and rugby then you lot would bitch about it being anti-English im sure.

How is me not liking the gaa equivalent to me not liking Irish people. Answer please.

This thread plus your previous threads = anti-Irish boards.ie bigot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭sponsoredwalk

Here cut out the anti-anti-Irish bigotry, doesn't matter if the OP is
    anti-Irish or not you being anti-anti-Irish hardly gives you a leg up
    on that high horse you're reaching for...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

I fookin hate football and the gaa. My hate for these sports is only equaled by my disdain for x-factor and shows of its ilk. I really cant see why these sports are considered entertainment.

Also could any football and gaa fans explain why they love these sports so much. Is it genuine love or social conditioning.

Boxing, MMA and even rugby are way more entertaining to watch but they arent nearly as popular.

So GAA and football are social conditioning, rugby isn't?

I'm not a gaa fan, rugby is dire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Chaotic_Forces

Can't stand football, can't blame anyone who's a proud Irishman not liking a mostly English sport. Wait did I just say I disliked an english sport.... AH **** I'M ANTI-X.

Grow the Hell up, if I don't like rap am I racist? If I think the government is doing good am I anti-Irish for not hoping on the bandwagon.

Opinions are just that, opinions. There is no right or wrong one; just one opinion most pople agree on and other opinions that are classed as "wrong".

I don't mind gaelic football that much or hurling. Normal football... dear lord "ah yeah sure like you know your man from Spain is playing for us like". Translation "let's not play with our own teams, fill them up with "good" players from anywhere but our own country".

Rugby... rugby is fun :D

Oh and OP, boxing, rugby and MMA is FAR more popular worldwide, maybe not to you it's not popular but they are more popular. Gaelic football is just popular here. Football is just popular in Europe really. I doubt China, America and so on (top countries with biggest populations) give two fu*ks about GAA.

Thats a huge leap of judgement, especially considering im Irish. Id wager I have more republican credentials than you'll ever have.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭zeds alive

I hate them with a passion but feel sorry for the players , everyone gets paid except the players(lines men, ref , physio, manager , busdrivers) , poor bastards.

The-Rigger wrote: »
    So GAA and football are social conditioning, rugby isn't?

I'm not a gaa fan, rugby is dire.
    Yeah but its not as big a thing to take your son to a rugby game as it is to take him to a football or gaa game. Also, not as many people would go to the pub for the sole purpose of watching a rugby game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Love the Gaelic football & hurling.

Like's rugby.

Detests soccer.

(obsessed with Judo).

• Subscribers Posts: 16,602 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Oh and OP, boxing, rugby and MMA is FAR more popular worldwide, maybe not to you it's not popular but they are more popular. Gaelic football is just popular here. Football is just popular in Europe really

lol, thats some statement. So boxing, rugby and MMA are far more popular than soccer worldwide?

Yeah but its not as big a thing to take your son to a rugby game as it is to take him to a football or gaa game. Also, not as many people would go to the pub for the sole purpose of watching a rugby game.

The Six Nations say "Hello!"...

copacetic wrote: »
    lol, thats some statement. So boxing, rugby and MMA are far more popular than soccer worldwide?

Thanks for taking it and ignoring the entire post!:rolleyes:

The Six Nations say "Hello!"...
    Football world cup says howya.

• Advertisement

Football world cup says howya.

What's your point about that? Six Nations packed pubs in nearly every game around my area. The same with the GAA.

Thats a huge leap of judgement, especially considering im Irish. Id wager I have more republican credentials than you'll ever have.

No it isnt considering your posting about the good side of being oppressed by the English for 800 years, how you hate Irish sports and you start a thread about what you hate about the Irish.
    A real Irishman wouldn't have those views. We know where your coming from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

I hate football with a passion, watching snails crawling up the wall is more exciting

But love rugby (though the rules are a fcking mess) and I like GAA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭RoadKillTs

I hate soccer but I like Gaelic football or muck-ball as some Dubs call it. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Some people like football, some people like rugby. Some people like cornflakes, some people like rice crispies. OP that's life, why do you really care?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

I have no interest in football, gaelic or soccer,rugby,hurling.
    But each to their own interests.
    I am interested in 2 wheel sport in the form of Realroadracing.

Some people like football, some people like rugby. Some people like cornflakes, some people like rice crispies. OP that's life, why do you really care?

If rugby was Irish he would be bitching about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

I wouldnt say I hate it.

I dont play foot ball never did I never had much interest in gaa as a kid....
    Tho I will say I can watch it when I want to or when I have no choice, My own personal sporting interests are a lot more fun/interesting/dangerous.
    only way i could put that in to context is the rush I get from rock climbing is probably the same rush as scoring a winning goal for your foot ball team.

But having said that watching a skilled group of players playing foot ball can be very enjoyable. :cool:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

Id wager I have more republican credentials than you'll ever have.

Let me see, you were born in 1982? Your "republican credentials" were demonstrated in O Connell Street in February 2006? Or are you, for your current purposes, trying to claim "republican credentials" from somebody who is not you?

I fookin hate football and the gaa.

The fact that your refer to the English sport of soccer as "football" does not bode well for your avowed Irish credentials. Most Irish people I know speak about an Irish sport when they talk of "football". Then there's the Sky Sports watching "Oirish" type who are usually undereducated cultureless Dublin knackers or from knacker areas of rural towns. Not to put too fine a point on it.

• Advertisement

No it isnt considering your posting about the good side of being oppressed by the English for 800 years, how you hate Irish sports and you start a thread about what you hate about the Irish.
    A real Irishman wouldn't have those views. We know where your coming from.
    The former was tongue in cheek. As for the latter, I dont think having a criticism about some members of your nationality means that you're anti-Irish. If thats the case I better shut my mouth in future incase I hurt someones feelings. Jez.

Oh and can you define what a real Irishman is. Also, as you know where im coming from, where did you get your magical powers of mind reading.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭cruiser178

I have no interest in football, gaelic or soccer,rugby,hurling.
    But each to their own interests.
    I am interested in 2 wheel sport in the form of rollerblading.

fixed that for ya.

Funny thread,i reckon everyone is badly hungover this morning:D

Rebelheart wrote: »
    Let me see, you were born in 1982? Your "republican credentials" were demonstrated in O Connell Street in February 2006? Or are you, for your current purposes, trying to claim "republican credentials" from somebody who is not you?

The fact that your refer to the English sport of soccer as "football" does not bode well for your avowed Irish credentials. Most Irish people I know speak about an Irish sport when they talk of "football". Then there's the Sky Sports watching "Oirish" type who are usually undereducated cultureless Dublin knackers or from knacker areas of rural towns. Not to put too fine a point on it.
    Its not so much my age as where ive been brought up and who ive been around. Also the troubles didnt end in the 1980s did they.

As for my Irishness being called into play because I called soccer football all I can say is ahahahahaha. Thats about the single dumbest thing ive ever heard in my 28 years on the planet.

Then there's the Sky Sports watching "Oirish" type who are usually undereducated cultureless Dublin knackers or from knacker areas of rural towns. Not to put too fine a point on it.

Um... clarify that for me? :confused:

I'm from Dublin City Center and I don't mind watching Sky Sports.
    I really don't get you at all and feel kind of... offended. :(

The former was tongue in cheek. As for the latter, I dont think having a criticism about some members of your nationality means that you're anti-Irish. If thats the case I better shut my mouth in future incase I hurt someones feelings. Jez.

Oh and can you define what a real Irishman is. Also, as you know where im coming from, where did you get your magical powers of mind reading.

Some members? You say it as if your talking about 1 or 2 people. Irish Celtic Catholics who support their national sports and despise the criminality and blood lust committed here by the English are the major majority here in the Republic. I suggest you move to the North and join the Orange Order.

Its not so much my age as where ive been brought up and who ive been around. Also the troubles didnt end in the 1980s did they.

As for my Irishness being called into play because I called soccer football all I can say is ahahahahaha. Thats about the single dumbest thing ive ever heard in my 28 years on the planet.

You didn't get the irony then...

He was just being IRONIC! (thanks massive!) like your posts were or... just taking cheapshots, again like your posts were. :P

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I don't hate them, but I would have zero interest in them. I've no real issue with those who are into either sport tbh. The background stuff attached to it like expressed in this thread is a bit weird though.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Some members? You say it as if your talking about 1 or 2 people. Irish Celtic Catholics who support their national sports and despise the criminality and blood lust committed here by the English are the major majority here in the Republic. I suggest you move to the North and join the Orange Order.
    Oh right. I didnt know that every single Irish catholic in the country said "sure everyone loves us" and by me not liking that I fully support British occupation in Ireland and should join the orange order. Great logic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Sea Sharp

I have little interest in soccer and even less in GAA.
    For soccer, I do keep up to speed by reading scores of matches on the internet but I don't have the mental capacity to sit through 90 minutes of it. I like to keep informed because it's a good conversation starter with people who I don't have any similar interests with.
    As for GAA, I couldn't tell you who won the all Ireland this year or last, I don't pretend to like that.

I love Fifa and PES on the Xbox though. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,139 ✭✭✭-Trek-

Wow I don't see this ending well. Not a fan of gaa myself, don't see the attraction but then again there are sports l follow that other people don't get, no big deal get over it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

This is good!!!! Myself, i dont watch or play GAA. Go to a match, maybe once every year. Used to play a lot when i was a kid but was never competitive enough to really get interested!
    See no problem in people disliking it!
    Its not a fundamental or nessecary part of 'what it is to be irish' - Thats just old fashioned GAA mentality!
    Hurling is pretty good to watch- plenty of skill involved, although Rugby is more entertaining.
    ANYWAY sport! GAA or whatever is good for the Youth and peoples health.
    But there is a fear that people will become GAA monkeys!!!!!!

• Advertisement

Um... clarify that for me? :confused:

I'm from Dublin City Center and I don't mind watching Sky Sports.
    I really don't get you at all and feel kind of... offended. :(

Oh that was intentionally a pre-emptive strike before all the - what was it - undereducated cultureless Dublin knackers in After Hours start referring to football as "bogball".

Here's some of them.

Oh, and hello Stovelid.

Oh that was intentionally a pre-emptive strike before all the - what was it - undereducated cultureless Dublin knackers in After Hours start referring to football as "bogball".

Here's some of them.

Oh, and hello Stovelid.

Er the search didn't show anything. :P

Go back... when you say football you mean GAA right? And you expect some scummers to refer to it as bogball?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I've always prefered American sports tbh, american football, NBA, ice hockey, UFC.
    Cant stand soccer, 90 minutes of passing. Dont like GAA either, nothing against it just not my cup of tea, but the notion that if you dont support it then you're somehow not really Irish is just beyond ludicrous, the keyboard warriors usually come out in force in these threads with their republican rhetoric, so this should be an entertaining car crash of a thread if nothing else :D

Er the search didn't show anything. :P

Go back... when you say football you mean GAA right? And you expect some scummers to refer to it as bogball?

Thats another thing, its only football on this island, everywhere else soccer is football. except America, but they suck at it or so I'm told.

cursai wrote: »
    But there is a fear that people will become GAA monkeys!!!!!!

Far better for them to be Garrison Game "monkeys" (whatever they are in this context).

The GAA is amazing; far and away the greatest Irish organisation in the world. No other organisation benefits localities across this country from Ballycastle to Tralee as much as the GAA does. The fact that it is still voluntary makes it even more awesome.

Irish people following British soccer teams gives nothing back to Irish communities or to improving the health of Irish people. Fact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

Far better for them to be Garrison Game "monkeys" (whatever they are in this context).

The GAA is amazing; far and away the greatest Irish organisation in the world. No other organisation benefits localities across this country from Ballycastle to Tralee as much as the GAA does. The fact that it is still voluntary makes it even more awesome.

Irish people following British soccer teams gives nothing back to Irish communities or to improving the health of Irish people. Fact.

I just said that!!! I would have thought GOAL would have been better though!!! But there are some GAA monkeys out there! A lot of them become Fianna Fail politicans or open up pubs!

krudler wrote: »
    I've always prefered American sports tbh, american football, NBA, ice hockey, UFC.
    Cant stand soccer, 90 minutes of passing. Dont like GAA either, nothing against it just not my cup of tea, but the notion that if you dont support it then you're somehow not really Irish is just beyond ludicrous, the keyboard warriors usually come out in force in these threads with their republican rhetoric, so this should be an entertaining car crash of a thread if nothing else :D

I never said that:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 827 ✭✭✭VinnyTGM

I've no interest in either soccer, football, gaa, hurling.

Ice hockey is Canadian. Or lemme guess... you meant NORTH America, right? :D

I do agree that 90 minutes of passing is boring. I'd say the game is about 20 minutes at best excitment and the rest is just "center, passes to half-back, passes to wing, back to center, center holds it, holds it, *sigh* holds it..."
    Thats another thing, its only football on this island, everywhere else soccer is football. except America, but they suck at it or so I'm told.

It's called football in most places, not just Ireland, it's in the UK too.

Meanwhile in 2010, most Irish people have lowered their suspicions that English people are only here to steal our potatoes. Are the english still oppressing you in some way?

How can something be a "greatest Irish organisation in the world" :confused:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement