Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Any other men on boards who hate football and the gaa.

14567810»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Who mentioned the International Rules? Not me.

That has nothing to do with expansion.

So the nothing attempt at a sport has got nothing to do about nothing has it? may i suggest that it is more of a thinly veiled recruitment drive to see if there is any Irish players that can be approached to help expand the new clubs, how many Aussie Fools club reps will be in Limerick and Dublin to see the amateurs i wonder? so that would have nothing to do with expansion.
    Why would they abstain from playing a sport that is participated in professionally worldwide?

Cuba are professionals now (who have won the baseball world cup more than anyone) watch out the boxing world, the real talent have arrived, it would be like Rugby League without the Kumals or the cricket world without Bangladesh/Ireland/Dutch or Union without a Namibian prop who headbuts lions
    AFL is played professionally in one country. I take it I don't have to spell out the obvious difference between the two situations.

So the Aussie Tools plan for "global domination" is working out well is it, a world cup without a clue,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

I fookin hate football and the gaa. My hate for these sports is only equaled by my disdain for x-factor and shows of its ilk. I really cant see why these sports are considered entertainment.

Also could any football and gaa fans explain why they love these sports so much. Is it genuine love or social conditioning.

Boxing, MMA and even rugby are way more entertaining to watch but they arent nearly as popular.

Your an embarressment to this country. I'm not a fan of Gaelic games but I recognise the dedication, committment and love by the fans and players for the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭scientific1982

Augmerson wrote: »
    Your an embarressment to this country. I'm not a fan of Gaelic games but I recognise the dedication, committment and love by the fans and players for the game.
    Im an embarrasment to the country because I hate watching GAA. You said you dont like watching it either, so by that standard you're an embarrasment too.

Im an embarrasment to the country because I hate watching GAA. Give me a pm and maybe we can meet up and you can say it to my face then.

Hahaha! You know what, if you weren't so sad, I would actually take great pleasure it saying that to you personally. I'm not into GAA, not really into the organisation either but it's hardly something to hate.

Hahaha! You know what, if you weren't so sad, I would actually take great pleasure it saying that to you personally. I'm not into GAA, not really into the organisation either but it's hardly something to hate.
    I said that I hate the GAA sports. Didnt say that I hated the organization anywhere. Maybe if you were able to actually read and digest what you were reading at the same time you would know this. Can you walk and think at the same time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,954 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

That is one of the sillier posts I've read today. He said he didn't like the game, not what it stands for (if that's even clear any more?).

Now Brian Cowen is an embarrassment to this country at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Holy crap.

It's only sport.

what is the point of this thread? So you dont like soccer/gaelic football/hurling/rugby/swimming/basketball/insert other sport here. big deal...horses for courses an all that. move on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,070 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Holy crap.

It's only sport.

Spurt izt mord!!1

what is the point of this thread? So you dont like soccer/gaelic football/hurling/rugby/swimming/basketball/insert other sport here. big deal...horses for courses an all that. move on!
    So you dont like this thread. Move on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

I'd watch most sports, but Football would be my main one.

I'd watch the odd Hurling/G.A.A match. I watch Rugby.

But meh, each to their own and all that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I'm no fan of the GAA admittedly, but Gaelic sports are not the only sports in this country where people show dedication, commitment and love for the game with no remuneration although I don't doubt for a minute that GAA volunteers do. Or that they are a well-run organisation. Or that Hurling is a majestic sport.

Both at League of Ireland and the vast junior "soccer" scene in this country (one of the biggest in Europe) have an equally large amount of men and women that give up hours of their time for the love of their clubs and the kids/adults that play there.

It's a typically Irish peculiarity - and convenient GAA propaganda nostrum - to assume that "soccer" only equates to the top level leagues in Europe and the handful of oligarch clubs there: clubs that make up a fraction of the "soccer" - professional and amateur - scene both in Ireland and globally. How many people here that lionize the GAA on this thread actually help and pump substantial money into their local club?

Can't speak for other sports as I don't have the experience to: not because I'm omitting them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Risteard wrote: »
    Is there another sport where a tactical advantage is to be gained by kicking the ball off the pitch?

Thats the point. Every other sport requires that you keep the ball on the playing surface.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭thisguy

Love sport, and despite no one asking here's my order of preference:)...

1. soccer
    2. hurling
    3. basketball
    4. football

Rugby's ok to, i'd watch the 6 nations and the big matches in the heineken cup. A lot of the rugby crowd do my head in though, and tbh it doesn't really have the same skill levels involved as the first three i listed. (i do appreciate that its not completely devoid of skill)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭Risteard

orourkeda wrote: »
    Thats the point. Every other sport requires that you keep the ball on the playing surface.

Yeah. That's every other sport, rugby is a different sport, hence there are different ways to play. Sometimes it's better to kick the ball out, which if you're outside your 22 isn't exactly straight forward anyway and other times it's better to keep the ball in hand. Plus it leads to another aspect of play that you could exploit if you're good at it.

It's like saying why doesn't football reward putting the ball over the bar when lots of other sports do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Dramatic much?

Soccer is the beautiful game. Nothing comes close to it for skill, beauty & passion.

Rugby is for people who are too fat & stupid to play soccer.

GAA is for people who haven't the skills to kick a ball along the ground & have to use their hands. It's like soccer for, but for slightly retarded chumps.

Hurling is for dangerous farmer types who like hitting things with sticks. Including themselves.

Tennis & basketball are severely gay.

And golf is what soccer players do in their spare time, so that's an OK sport too.

Well, I say sport, but it's more of a hobby.

Last warning.

Stay on topic and keep the childish fighting out of the thread or i'll kick it into touch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

orourkeda wrote: »
    (1) Used for Gaelic Games

(2) A substantial part of which was paid for by tax money.

(1) Mainly in the period (May to Sept) where Soccer and Rugby isn't even played.

(2) What's your point? That cos the GAA got a handout then so should everyone? We live in a country where it's ok for the the Irish taxpaper to foot half the bill on two stadia when clearly one would have done for everybody.

Im an embarrasment to the country because I hate watching GAA. You said you dont like watching it either, so by that standard you're an embarrasment too.

I don't hate the sport, you do. Are you able to comprehend this? I neither hate nor love GAA sports but now and again I do enjoy a good match.

If only you could take your own advice. Don't like something? Move on and get over it. Don't get all in a fuss because something isn't to your taste.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

Like football (soccer to culchies)

Hate GAA just another wing of Sinn Fein in my opinion

and that whole fiasco with the Louth game during the summer was embarrassing gombeen irish at its most extreme, you wouldn't see the like on a school playground

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

stovelid wrote: »
    I'm no fan of the GAA admittedly, but Gaelic sports are not the only sports in this country where people show dedication, commitment and love for the game with no remuneration although I don't doubt for a minute that GAA volunteers do. Or that they are a well-run organisation. Or that Hurling is a majestic sport.

Both at League of Ireland and the vast junior "soccer" scene in this country (one of the biggest in Europe) have an equally large amount of men and women that give up hours of their time for the love of their clubs and the kids/adults that play there.

It's a typically Irish peculiarity - and convenient GAA propaganda nostrum - to assume that "soccer" only equates to the top level leagues in Europe and the handful of oligarch clubs there: clubs that make up a fraction of the "soccer" - professional and amateur - scene both in Ireland and globally. How many people here that lionize the GAA on this thread actually help and pump substantial money into their local club?

Can't speak for other sports as I don't have the experience to: not because I'm omitting them.

You can go on 'till the cows come home but the outstanding fact about soccer in Ireland is that the vast, vast, vast majority of its supporters support British soccer clubs. If BSKYB supported British tiddlywinks competitions to the same degree you can bet that the same individuals would support the British tiddlywinks competition. The sort of people we are talking about patently feel the need for something - anything - in their life to give it substance on a recurrent basis.

In contrast to this, soccer in Ireland is the poor relation and made so not by the GAA but by virtue of the fact that the vast majority of soccer supporters in Ireland have not got the independence of mind to support anything other than British soccer teams. Stop attempting to blame the GAA for this "internal" conflict.

The GAA, on the other hand, is much more than the local sports club in each townland and parish within which it exists. It epitomises the community in a way which no soccer club in Ireland has replicated. This is the reality, no matter how many times cultural cringe type people like you refer to one of the GAA's sports as "bogball". Bitter, or what. Pathetic, really.

I don't hate the sport, you do. Are you able to comprehend this? I neither hate nor love GAA sports but now and again I do enjoy a good match.

If only you could take your own advice. Don't like something? Move on and get over it. Don't get all in a fuss because something isn't to your taste.
    "I'm not a fan of Gaelic games". So your not a fan of Gaelic games but "now and again I do enjoy a good match"

Then you call me an embarrasment to my country for hating the actual GAA organization, despite me never once stating that I hate the organization.

Then you come out with this bombshell "im not really into the GAA, not into the organization either".

Maybe its me and your argument is too intricate.

philstar wrote: »

I'm a Dubliner and I call football football and, well, soccer soccer. Duh. Admittedly, I'm not a cultureless Dublin knacker who's ashamed to be Irish to the extent that he follows a British soccer team and has an inferiority complex about Irish sports. How, well, 19th century of you.

I get the distinct impression you weren't a straight A student of anything other than Eoghan Harris's or Ruth Dudley Edwards's columns in The Sunday Independent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

and that whole fiasco with the Louth game during the summer was embarrassing gombeen irish at its most extreme, you wouldn't see the like on a school playground

Thats a bit silly, to most people it is what it is, ie a game

They're all games, help people keep fit and active. I'm astounded that most of the posts on this thread have consisted of finding the negative aspects

A hell of a lot of chips on shoulders aound here

Like football (soccer to culchies)/QUOTE]

And many countries where there is multiple codes of football, but normally called by other names first like Union, League, Aussie Tools

Dont know enough about the history of the Gaa and Sinn Fein but will probably use it next time im blattered and talking sport, cheers.

Agreed, that fat spanner who tried to shoulder charge the reff twice still holding his jumper was a joke and a poor sign of the mentality...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Rebelheart wrote: »
    You can go on 'till the cows come home but the outstanding fact about soccer in Ireland is that the vast, vast, vast majority of its supporters support British soccer clubs. If BSKYB supported British tiddlywinks competitions to the same degree you can bet that the same individuals would support the British tiddlywinks competition. The sort of people we are talking about patently feel the need for something - anything - in their life to give it substance on a recurrent basis.

In contrast to this, soccer in Ireland is the poor relation and made so not by the GAA but by virtue of the fact that the vast majority of soccer supporters in Ireland have not got the independence of mind to support anything other than British soccer teams. Stop attempting to blame the GAA for this "internal" conflict.

The GAA, on the other hand, is much more than the local sports club in each townland and parish within which it exists. It epitomises the community in a way which no soccer club in Ireland has replicated. This is the reality, no matter how many times cultural cringe type people like you refer to one of the GAA's sports as "bogball". Bitter, or what. Pathetic, really.

You;ve ignored every single point of substance I made in the quoted post in order to trumpet your own views. I can summarize it for you again:

Despite GAA propaganda to the contrary, many thousands of men and women in this country volunteer for community "soccer" clubs: be it junior "soccer" or League of Ireland. Some also support English football; other do not. Some also support Rugby or GAA.

That has nothing do with support for English football which I also deplore, albeit only because I feel that people could support local clubs here as well as English teams: not from disgust at the support of "foreign" games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Muckie

Loved kicking ball as a young child, but where i grew up if you

weren't a shop keeper or farmers son you didnt make the team.

Lost any love for the game, lived beside Croke park for years and

alot of the fans i came across didn't do its imagine any good in my mind

either.

oh I have. now its time for certain people to follow ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

A hell of a lot of chips on shoulders aound here

Grand Canyon-sized chips at that.

"I'm not a fan of Gaelic games". So your not a fan of Gaelic games but "now and again I do enjoy a good match"

Then you call me an embarrasment to my country for hating the actual GAA organization, despite me never once stating that I hate the organization.

Then you come out with this bombshell "im not really into the GAA, not into the organization either".

Maybe its me and your argument is too intricate.

You don't need to be a fan of a sport to enjoy it now and again. Occassionally I'll watch motorsports on Eurosport like Formula 1 or the Isle of Man races. I'm not a fan of these tournaments, I would not sit down everytime it's on and watch it religiously and keep up-to-date with all the goings but that does not prevent me from being entertained by it every now and again and the same goes for Gaelic sports.

It's like a piece of art. I don't know how Da Vinci painted the Mona Lisa. I wouldn't attempt it myself, but I can appreciate the result. It can be admired, it can also be called a piece of thrash if that's your persuasion.

Also I did not say you hated the GAA (organisation). I don't know how you read my previous posts but your wrong on this.

Muck, that what it is...it will never be sexy like football (soccer to culchies)

• Registered Users Posts: 37 qwertyuiopa

Muck, that what it is...it will never be sexy like football (soccer to culchies)

Soccer turns you on?Thats one strange fetish you've got going on

What's the point of posting this video?

What's the point of posting this video?

I think its called fishing, you put it out and wait for a bite:D

• Advertisement

^^^^^^^^^

its just an example of gombeen GAA

The Aussie wrote: »
    I think its called fishing, you put it out and wait for a bite:D

Oh my :/

stovelid wrote: »
    That has nothing do with support for English football which I also deplore, albeit only because I feel that people could support local clubs here as well as English teams: not from disgust at the support of "foreign" games.

And there are no soccer teams beyond Britain? Why can't they support Irish teams and teams across the world? There is a large world of soccer clubs beyond British soccer clubs. It always seems to come back to Britain for the vast majority of soccer supporters in Ireland. And that has everything to do with British soccer being promoted at every turn to the people who watch British TV stations. I write this as somebody who has dropped into Dalymount and enjoyed the craic on an occasional night while walking home. I would have much, much, much more respect for those lads than the BSKYB arseholes. I also have the height of respect for people who support soccer teams beyond Britain as it shows they have a semblance of independent thought. That's always refreshing in my view.

In a world of billions of people, supporters of what you have termed "bogball" here are, to my mind, giving a statement of independence of mind, of identity, of national pride. And this, if the truth be told, is a national pride much more national than soccer could ever be (particularly when the players in question are not even Irish but rather professionaly-paid soccer players from a different country going under the flag of Ireland. It all sounds very crude).

I knew i'd seen this thread before.

And there are no soccer teams beyond Britain? Why can't they support Irish teams and teams across the world? There is a large world of soccer clubs beyond British soccer clubs. It always seems to come back to Britain for the vast majority of soccer supporters in Ireland. And that has everything to do with British soccer being promoted at every turn to the people who watch British TV stations. I write this as somebody who has dropped into Dalymount and enjoyed the craic on an occasional night while walking home. I would have much, much, much more respect for those lads than the BSKYB arseholes. I also have the height of respect for people who support soccer teams beyond Britain as it shows they have a semblance of independent thought. That's always refreshing in my view.

In a world of billions of people, supporters of what you have termed "bogball" here are, to my mind, giving a statement of independence of mind, of identity, of national pride. And this, if the truth be told, is a national pride much more national than soccer could ever be (particularly when the players in question are not even Irish but rather professionaly-paid soccer players from a different country going under the flag of Ireland. It all sounds very crude).

Translation:

UP THE RA GAA.

• Advertisement

GAA is for people who haven't the skills to kick a ball along the ground & have to use their hands. It's like soccer for, but for slightly retarded chumps.

Coming from you, all us GAA supporters will take that as a compliment.

Now, go away and find an Irish person to burn alive before you return to your British garrison and celebrate your "victory" with a game of soccer.

The scum of the earth have played soccer in Ireland, and you look down on us Irish and our sports. Pathetic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

super-rush wrote: »
    I knew i'd seen this thread before.

Thats where I thought this thread was heading alright!!

Coming from you, all us GAA supporters will take that as a compliment.

Now, go away and find an Irish person to burn alive before you return to your British garrison and celebrate your "victory" with a game of soccer.

The scum of the earth have played soccer in Ireland, and you look down on us Irish and our sports. Pathetic.

I know. How they ever let Arsenal into the country is beyond me.

Translation:

UP THE RA GAA.

I'd rather support the GAA and Irish freedom than support British soccer teams and the British Army in British occupied Ireland like you and people or your, let us just say, limitations.

Speaking of "retards".

I'd rather support the GAA and Irish freedom than support British soccer teams and the British Army in British occupied Ireland like you and people or your, let us just say, limitations.

Speaking of "retards".

You Chelsea fans are seriously uptight.

Goodnight thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement