Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Any other men on boards who hate football and the gaa.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

stovelid wrote: »
    So the idea that GAA sports encapsulate a greater sense of Fair Play is wrong?

Or did you intend a different meaning by specifically agreeing with that assertion?
    I never said that there was "no fouling, gamesmanship and cheating in GAA"

please show me where I EVER said that.

davrho wrote: »
    You pulled figures out yer arse that are wrong.

I have stated many times on this thread that everybody should let everyone else get on with following what they enjoy.
    You enjoy something totally stupid and obviously didn't see that I was agreeing with another member that posted the "statistics" (saying that it's a fact most matches end in a low score or a draw is hardly statistics tbh).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

OisinT wrote: »
    I never said that there was "no fouling, gamesmanship and cheating in GAA"

please show me where I EVER said that.

So it was - in effect - a pretty meaningless gesture to specifically agree with a statement that lauded the 'fair play' of the GAA compared to "soccer".

Or was it just mutual back-slapping?

stovelid wrote: »
    So it was - in effect - a pretty meaningless gesture to specifically agree with a statement that lauded the 'fair play' of the GAA compared to "soccer".

Or was it just mutual back-slapping?
    What? This is the most ridiculous attempt at a conversation I think I've ever had.

I guess it's hard to understand maybe?

Just because I said there is more fair play in GAA Football doesn't mean I think there is "no fouling, gamesmanship and cheating in GAA" Football. You do understand the concept of more and less right?

As for mutual back-slapping I would still rank "soccer" Football < GAA football < Rugby < Watching paint dry. So I'm not exactly a GAA fanboy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Most do that I've ever seen. Saying that on one day only 35% ended in 0-0 or 1-0 is not much of a defence tbh :rolleyes:

From someone who sounds like they dont follow soccer/football, that cant be very many games. So you're just generalising tbh, and I dont know where you got the 35% from...

What? This is the most ridiculous attempt at a conversation I think I've ever had.

I guess it's hard to understand maybe?

Just because I said there is more fair play in GAA Football doesn't mean I think there is "no fouling, gamesmanship and cheating in GAA" Football. You do understand the concept of more and less right?

Nope, it's perfectly clear: the only concepts I can see are huff and puff and ingrained prejudices about the level of fair play in different sport based on misty-eyed Calvita and TK red lemonade bollocks summations of GAA compared to "soccer".

GAA is no more about Fair Play than any other top-level, high-pressure sport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,311 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I hate cricket.

davrho wrote: »
    Not really a fact. In the 27 games played at top level in Europe yesterday only 7 ended up 1-0 and there was one 0-0.
    From someone who sounds like they dont follow soccer/football, that cant be very many games. So you're just generalising tbh, and I dont know where you got the 35% from...

Thought davrho said 7 of 20 games, whereas in reality he said 27. So 25% not 35% - my fault.
    Edit: oh, he said 7 were 1-0 and 1 0-0 so that's 8 of 27 or 30%... high enough.

I do watch the news though, and when they show the scores most of them seem pretty low and draws.

I still don't think it's an exaggeration though tbh.
    Saturday in the Premier League:

Arsenal 2-3 West Brom
    Birmingham 0-0 Wigan
    Blackpool 1-2 Blackburn
    Fulham 0-0 Everton
    Liverpool 2-2 Sunderland
    Man City 1-0 Chelsea
    West Ham 1-0 Tottenham

That's 7 matches, 4 of which ended 0-0 or 1-0 - that's 57%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,913 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

The Aussie wrote: »
    The Aussie Rules ideas of expansion by playing a hybrid game (international rules) has done nothing but play Gaa with a few extra posts and a mark and with a short enough break between the pre-season they cant even get all the top players interested, how many of the rules are purely unique to Aussie rules

Who mentioned the International Rules? Not me.

That has nothing to do with expansion.
    As for the non competing Aussies in the Aussie Rules World Cup, do the Americans abstain from participating in the Baseball and Basketball world cups???

Why would they abstain from playing a sport that is participated in professionally worldwide?

AFL is played professionally in one country. I take it I don't have to spell out the obvious difference between the two situations.
    and yes i did mange to take a pop at their pathetic attempt at making it more global didn't i:D

So on the one hand you complain that's it's a one country sport but then on the other you whinge about the attempt to make it global?

You must just be one of them hyporcrites you hear about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Thought davrho said 7 of 20 games, whereas in reality he said 27. So 25% not 35% - my fault.

I do watch the news though, and when they show the scores most of them seem pretty low and draws.

Arsenal 2-3 West Brom
    Birmingham 0-0 Wigan
    Blackpool 1-2 Blackburn
    Fulham 0-0 Everton
    Liverpool 2-2 Sunderland
    Man City 1-0 Chelsea
    West Ham 1-0 Tottenham

Yeah but I thought we were talking about football in general here, on a worldwide scale, not just the Premiership?

Look, if you had only seen the recent World Cup, I would agree with you, not so much on the amount of 0-0's but on the standard of entertainment....I thought it was poor and a lot of negativity garnered by bad refereeing, cheating, and negative tactics.

But thats just one isolated tournament (and there were some great games too), but to say MOST soccer games end 0-0/1-0 is misinformed. It would be impossible to get to the bottom of the stats for ALL games in all leagues worldwide, but if its high scores you want then go watch basketball!! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭Greyfox

I really cant see why these sports are considered entertainment.

Also could any football and gaa fans explain why they love these sports so much. Is it genuine love or social conditioning.

Boxing, MMA and even rugby are way more entertaining to watch but they arent nearly as popular.

Personally I find watching boxing and MMA about as entertaining as watching flowers grow in a garden, I don't know how people find it entertaining. The thing that your missing completely is to really enjoy either soccer or GAA or any other sport it's all about getting behind your team/county/individual.

To enjoy soccer for example it's all about finding a team you like and starting to care about how well they do, if you can't do this then you find another sport. For me I'm a Man United fan since 1991 and my team has provided me with more joy and entertainment then anything else I can think of, other then enjoying watching my team play the main reason I would put a ManU match above pretty much everything else is absolutely nothing beats the rivalry and banter we have with opposing fans, particularly Liverpool fans. For me with all my mates or even just random guy I've just met football is always the most interesting thing to talk about as theirs always something happening in the world of football. All sports including soccer can be dull to watch IF you don't care about who wins but the whole point of watching sport IS TO CARE about who wins and when your really really invested in the result everything else in life is just backround noise. If someone rings me during an important ManU match I never answer the phone as the match is too important to me as the result could dominate my conversations with people for the next week

Another example would be Gaelic football. My girlfiend is from Cork so for me the Dublin v Cork semi-final was unmissable entertainment. I know loads of people from Cork and if Dublin had of won it would of been far, far better then sex due to how much I would of enjoyed the banter....as oppossed to getting poxy text messages from Cork people I didn't really know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭elekid

It's horses for courses really.

Hate is a strong word but it's fair to say I've never been interested in any sports, which some people can't understand, and which can make the world seem like a very strange place sometimes. I can see the appeal of following a team, meeting fellow fans etc. but watching the sports themselves seems so boring to me. I've always found it odd how it gets included as part of the national news and the last quarter of most newspapers is dedicated to it. Obviously it's because it's hugely popular but when you're not interested yourself it seems like a hobby blown out of all proportion - imagine a world where everyone is obsessed with the X-Factor or Eastenders (or something popular you don't like) and the latest goings on get reported between the news and the weather every evening!!

It generally doesn't bother me, I would never begrudge anyone the enjoyment of it, but it can be a bit boring when you're with people who only ever talk sport, sport, sport and can lead to awkward conversations when people you've just met make assumptions:

Person: "Who do you support?"
    Me: "No one really, I'm not a big sports fan"
    Person: "Oh"
    *awkward silence*

or

Person: "Did you see the match last night?"
    Me: "What match?"
    Person: "Ireland vs Germany"
    Me: "What sport?"
    Person: :confused:

You also get people who say "fair enough if you don't like sport but would you not watch if Ireland was playing in a final, are you not patriotic" etc.? To which I say, would you watch Ireland compete in the 90 minute final of the world knitting championships, because it's all the same to me?

Yeah but I thought we were talking about football in general here, on a worldwide scale, not just the Premiership?

Look, if you had only seen the recent World Cup, I would agree with you, not so much on the amount of 0-0's but on the standard of entertainment....I thought it was poor and a lot of negativity garnered by bad refereeing, cheating, and negative tactics.

But thats just one isolated tournament (and there were some great games too), but to say MOST soccer games end 0-0/1-0 is misinformed. It would be impossible to get to the bottom of the stats for ALL games in all leagues worldwide, but if its high scores you want then go watch basketball!! :)
    Point taken: I just went and got the quickest stats I could, but not purposely the worst.
    I actually watched most of the world cup this year and the previous one... the only football I really do watch and I do know that quality was way down this year.
    Your point about bad refereeing, cheating, and negative tactics is exactly mine regarding fair play. Football players are too interested in big endorsements and fat paycheques than the actual sport these days. Playing for your country means nothing now, because if you get injured then your club is pissed off at you.

I think football is boring, I think GAA is equally boring and I think basketball is full of arrogant pricks who are just gangsters. I generally don't like to watch any sport besides tennis - and even then I only watch the big ones (Wimbledon, US Open & French Open).

I was just agreeing with the general statement of another poster through my, albeit limited knowledge of sport scores I can see from the news.

I'm not saying I want high scores necessarily, but 90 mins is a bit ridiculous to watch for something that ends 1-0, 0-0 or even 1-1. That's my opinion, fact.

Greyfox wrote: »
    Personally I find watching boxing and MMA about as entertaining as watching flowers grow in a garden, I don't know how people find it entertaining. The thing that your missing completely is to really enjoy either soccer or GAA or any other sport it's all about getting behind your team/county/individual.

It just seems like knacker behaviour to be honest. Watching a bunch of guys beat the piss out of eachother is not entertaining to me. I'd have to ask about 90% of my brain cells to vacate my brain in order to watch it and probably 99% to ever consider participating in it. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭davrho

Edit: oh, he said 7 were 1-0 and 1 0-0 so that's 8 of 27 or 30%... high enough.

Arsenal 2-3 West Brom
    Birmingham 0-0 Wigan
    Blackpool 1-2 Blackburn
    Fulham 0-0 Everton
    Liverpool 2-2 Sunderland
    Man City 1-0 Chelsea
    West Ham 1-0 Tottenham

Well we could go to the Scottish football that day too.

Aberdeen 2 Rangers 3
    Celtic 2 Hibs 1
    Hearts 0 Motherwell 2
    Hamilton 2 Kilmarnock 2
    Dundee Utd 1 St Johnstone 0
    St. Mirren 1 Inverness 2.

Thats 16%

Oisint If you look at the stats throughout the season most the leagues average between 2.5 to 3 goals a game(sounds daft but its rounded up). Chelsea alone had a 3 goal average per game last season. This 1-0 0-0 is just a stick to beat football with.

elekid wrote: »
    It's horses for courses really.

Hate is a strong word but it's fair to say I've never been interested in any sports, which some people can't understand, and which can make the world seem like a very strange place sometimes. I can see the appeal of following a team, meeting fellow fans etc. but watching the sports themselves seems so boring to me. I've always found it odd how it gets included as part of the national news and the last quarter of most newspapers is dedicated to it. Obviously it's because it's hugely popular but when you're not interested yourself it seems like a hobby blown out of all proportion - imagine a world where everyone is obsessed with the X-Factor or Eastenders (or something popular you don't like) and the latest goings on get reported between the news and the weather every evening!!

It generally doesn't bother me, I would never begrudge anyone the enjoyment of it, but it can be a bit boring when you're with people who only ever talk sport, sport, sport and can lead to awkward conversations when people you've just met make assumptions:

*awkward silence*

or

You also get people who say "fair enough if you don't like sport but would you not watch if Ireland was playing in a final, are you not patriotic" etc.? To which I say, would you watch Ireland compete in the 90 minute final of the world knitting championships, because it's all the same to me?
    I switched the lad that cuts my hair because I couldn't handle the awkwardness after he would be all chatty about sport and I was like :shrug: :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

I generally hate sports fans, hate club supporters and even hate the players themselves but I do love the game of football (ie association football). There is something so pure and (at it's core at least) simple about the game itself that no amount of hooliganism, terrace scumbaggery, armchair punditry, millionaire thugs with poncy haircuts and boring conversation down the pub can ever destroy.

The game is like the ultimate combination of art, strategy and science. At the highest level it really cannot be beaten.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

I prefer street fighter.

It's like chess. But faster. And with hadokens.

Sykk wrote: »
    Well spoken, constructive and well backed up your points! You can hardly validate "We haz more peoples" as an argument. The 99% of people laughed at Galileo when he proposed the theory of the universe.

I guess what I'm saying is, that just because more people agree with something, doesn't mean it's right.

PS: This is matter of personal interest anyway. Why try to argue or deprive someone of something they enjoy, just because you don't?

I disagree as I think too many people are too quick to talk of 1-0 and 0-0 when it comes to soccer and don't bother trying to consider why soccer is the most popular sport in the world. What makes Gaa great is the rivalrys between counties but in soccer you have this rivalry on a far, far bigger scale.

Ultimitely your right though the my sport is better then yours is for people under the age of 12 and even after hours is above such silly discussions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭patmac

I have to say as a sport's lover I am really beginning to dislike soccer. Players on a £100k a week spending £200 on a packet of cigarettes riding whores, etc. Nearly every club spending way beyond there means or bankrolled by dodgy owners, or worse still in the case of Liverpool/Utd owned by dodgy yanks trying to make a quick buck.
    League of Ireland clubs running into financial difficulties whilst loads of people head to anfield, Old trafford etc. A small fortune to watch Man Utd reserves in the brand new white elelphant of a stadium that we cannot afford.
    The chief executive of the FAI getting paid more than the president of the USA.
    The beautiful game? I don't think so.

elekid wrote: »

*awkward silence*

or

I'm guilty of this. The problem for us sports fans is talking about sport is generally the most reliable way to start a conversation with a guy you've just met so it will always be my first conversation opener. Most of the time it leads to a good conversation. I'm happy to start a conversation about somehing else but usually it takes me a while to think of something else to start a conversation with :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭GarethWA

h8scobes wrote: »
    i am/was a jock. i was a popular.
    I wish i was a popular!

I wish i had been a jock too, but i love having proper grammar too much!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

I fookin hate football and the gaa. My hate for these sports is only equaled by my disdain for x-factor and shows of its ilk. I really cant see why these sports are considered entertainment.

Also could any football and gaa fans explain why they love these sports so much. Is it genuine love or social conditioning.

Boxing, MMA and even rugby are way more entertaining to watch but they arent nearly as popular.

So you consider people punching each other, kicking each other and performing "moves" in a bid to hurt or injure or their opponents to be entertaining or more entertaining than the world most popular sport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

It's not that I hate soccer and GAA, I can easily sit and watch either if I have to. It's when they start going into the detailed backgrounds of the player and they're girlfriend and other crap that I completely lose interest. I can watch the sport just have no more interest in it than that.

UFC and F1 is a completely different matter though.

patmac wrote: »
    I have to say as a sport's lover I am really beginning to dislike soccer. Players on a £100k a week spending £200 on a packet of cigarettes riding whores, etc. Nearly every club spending way beyond there means or bankrolled by dodgy owners, or worse still in the case of Liverpool/Utd owned by dodgy yanks trying to make a quick buck.
    League of Ireland clubs running into financial difficulties whilst loads of people head to anfield, Old trafford etc. A small fortune to watch Man Utd reserves in the brand new white elelphant of a stadium that we cannot afford.

You mean the UEFA elite stadium that will be hosting a European final next year to which "we" as taxpayers contributed less than half the building costs.

It's the sport and enjoyment of it that I turn up for and have no interest in the money men involved.

• Advertisement

ScumLord wrote: »
    It's not that I hate soccer and GAA, I can easily sit and watch either if I have to. It's when they start going into the detailed backgrounds of the player and they're girlfriend and other crap that I completely lose interest. I can watch the sport just have no more interest in it than that.

UFC and F1 is a completely different matter though.

Now there's the worlds most boring "sport".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

nope, facts:

1: Most soccer matches end maybe 1-0 or 0-0.

2: Passion.. You get a great sense of passion and pride when playing for your club or county. As does all players, it means something. They're not overpayed arseholes who don't give a **** about the results. (See England, France at the world cup)

3: Fair play..

Soccer: 6 months out injured getting 80,000 a week for your ingrown toenail
    GAA(Football): 6 stitches to be given on the sideline while a blood sub goes on, you sub back in 10 minutes later.

Umm, none of what you're saying there sounds much like facts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭scientific1982

orourkeda wrote: »
    So you consider people punching each other, kicking each other and performing "moves" in a bid to hurt or injure or their opponents to be entertaining or more entertaining than the world most popular sport.
    Yes I do because theres a bit more skill involved than just people beating the ****e out of eachother. UFC can be like watching human chess. Theres strikes and counter strikes. Grapples and counter grapples. If you were ever involved in martial arts you would know the skill and discipline required to compete at even the most basic level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Now there's the worlds most boring "sport".
    It's not boring, it's just geeky. The technical talk and engineering achievements are a large part of the appeal. Although the racing side has been fantastic this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

patmac wrote: »

there's still likeable lads in soccer such as carlos tevez but more than ever its leave the replica shirts to the children. same as any industry it becomes too successful n the soul dissipates, becomes all about the money. the halycon days of life in general so far as pop culture goes was surely the 20th century when people pioneered in fledgling industries, lots of uncharted territory now its just polish, package n sell old concepts thats the artform now. money makes the world go round and the suits r rulin the roost from hereon in. cozy new venues are even named after multinational companies. enjoy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭RoryMurphyJnr

Hate the GAA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

You mean the UEFA elite stadium that will be hosting a European final next year to which "we" as taxpayers contributed less than half the building costs.

You say that like it's some sort of achievement. Tax should have paid for 0% of that stadium as far as I'm concerned as it was nothing more than an economically unsound white elephant / vanity project from day1. Couple this that when there was a larger, finer stadium in existence - itself barely in use for half the year and you can see the whole project made absolutely no sense.

Regarding the D4 toilet-bowl There is nowhere else in the world that would have allowed a stadium of that cost be built considering the infrequent amount of use that was to receive . Now to top things they can't even sell all the tickets because the FAI have priced themselves out of the market. The whole thing is a farce.

Never mind that it's an architectural mess in itself and completely unsuitable for the public demand, from a purely basic business sense pov the "toilet-bowl" is the crowning folly of the Celtic Tiger. Joe Sap footing half the bill for developers mistakes is just letting them off lightly ... but then that is the norm when it comes to business in this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭Conor OH!

Predator_ wrote: »
    Learn English, your a joke.

hahah i think you meant to say "You're"

bonerm wrote: »
    Couple this that when there was a larger, finer stadium in existence - itself barely in use for half the year and you can see the whole project made absolutely no sense.

If you're talking about Croker: the price of renting it from the GAA (if the recent arrangement was anything to go by) would render that useless as a long-term arrangement.

I personally see nothing wrong with public part-funding for the Aviva or Croke Park. It's not like sport doesn't bring joy to people and god know they spunk enough of our taxes away on other shit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

I have a lot of respect for GAA, total respect for the players but its just not for me

I absolutely hate football (soccer). Being put off mainly by the english premier league.

If i wanted to see a bunch of millionairs being chased around a field i'd release some hornets into the fianna fail tent at galway.

if i wanted to see some sap throw himself to the ground when his hair goes out of place id go to The Bernard Shaw and rub peoples heads.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

krudler wrote: »
    And GAA is for spud eating muck savages who smell like cabbage

Thank you, Krudler. Your contribution to this debate is noted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

OPENROAD wrote: »
    He is still playing for Arsenal and will hopefully continue to play for us for some time yet, I don't care if he has Barcelona DNA, he is staying put :(

Oh and its Fabregas

us?
    i didn't realise we had an arsenal player here on boards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Ah men and sport. War without the bullets.

I love soccer, gaa, ufc, rugby the whole lot!

Sports, sports, sports, sports, sports, sports, sports, sports.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

Hurling is bad enough but football is just as fun to watch as paint dry. I have never understood how people watch it. Now rugby that's a real sport :)

Greyfox wrote: »
    Your living in a dreamworld if you think you can compare the two sports, Gaelic football and hurling is only very popular in one small Island in Europe, whereas soccer is popular in most countries of the world. Were talking about the most popular sport in the world vs about the 156th most popular sport in the world, I enjoy Gaa but it's not a patch on soccer

You are = You're. We are = we're. More time in English class and less time watching, well, British soccer.

So, because soccer is "popular in most countries of the world" (very vague indeed), it must be better? Jesus, I suppose you think Westlife is better than Iarla Ó Lionáird because it's "more popular"? Or that Bertie Ahern was a better taoiseach because he was "more popular" than the alternatives? Or that U2 is better than Johann Sebastian Bach because they are "more popular"?

By any impartial standard, the Gaelic Athletic Association is an absolutely amazing organisation which gives more to Irish society than any other organisation in this state. It is ours. It is not run by BSKYB or businesspeople in Britain or the US, and it is not obscenely paying "stars" millions of euro to kick a ball around. It has roots in the vast majority of local communities on this island. It is Irish. It is critical to the cohesion of local villages, parishes, towns and counties across Ireland. The GAA, and its flags, are the local identity for townlands, parishes and counties across Ireland. This is a fact.

It is utterly pretentious to think soccer - especially given that most soccer "fans" here only slavishly follow British soccer clubs - could be on a par with the GAA in Ireland. Get real, for the love of sweet Jesus.

• Advertisement

Doylers wrote: »
    Hurling is bad enough

:rolleyes:

Hate the GAA

Ah rejection is bleedin' tough, bud. Story?

It just seems like knacker behaviour to be honest. Watching a bunch of guys beat the piss out of eachother is not entertaining to me. I'd have to ask about 90% of my brain cells to vacate my brain in order to watch it and probably 99% to ever consider participating in it. :pac:

I'm not sure if you're that moderator named Oisín who made that idiotic comment about the IRA bomber months ago (and didn't get banned), but assuming you're not, this was a quite intelligent comment.

I go to matches in my club and county jersey and always want the underdog in each game to win, even when they're not wearing the same jersey as me. There are many more followers of the GAA who feel similarly.

bonerm wrote: »
    You say that like it's some sort of achievement. Tax should have paid for 0% of that stadium as far as I'm concerned as it was nothing more than an economically unsound white elephant / vanity project from day1. Couple this that when there was a larger, finer stadium in existence - itself barely in use for half the year and you can see the whole project made absolutely no sense.

Regarding the D4 toilet-bowl There is nowhere else in the world that would have allowed a stadium of that cost be built considering the infrequent amount of use that was to receive . Now to top things they can't even sell all the tickets because the FAI have priced themselves out of the market. The whole thing is a farce.

Never mind that it's an architectural mess in itself and completely unsuitable for the public demand, from a purely basic business sense pov the "toilet-bowl" is the crowning folly of the Celtic Tiger. Joe Sap footing half the bill for developers mistakes is just letting them off lightly ... but then that is the norm when it comes to business in this country.

(1) Used for Gaelic Games

(2) A substantial part of which was paid for by tax money.

Doylers wrote: »
    Hurling is bad enough but football is just as fun to watch as paint dry. I have never understood how people watch it. Now rugby that's a real sport :)

Rugby is the most retarded game ever invented.

In what other sport are the participants congratulated for kicking the ball off the pitch?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭Risteard

Rugby is the most retarded game ever invented.

In what other sport are the participants congratulated for kicking the ball off the pitch?

Is there another sport where a tactical advantage is to be gained by kicking the ball off the pitch?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Rebelheart wrote: »
    Thank you, Krudler. Your contribution to this debate is noted.

Quoting and editing posts so they're out of context is a lost art form, thanks for bringing it back.

What I actually said was
    And GAA is for spud eating muck savages who smell like cabbage, aren't generalisations fun?

which was in response to
    Wrestling is for dumb American hillbillies and kids.

Predator made a stupid generalisation, I'm neither a kid nor a hillbilly, and not all GAA fans are muck savages,which I'm fully aware of.

smartarse retort fail.

You are = You're. We are = we're. More time in English class and less time watching, well, British soccer.

Are you for real?

Seriously.

Its like listening to Seán Mac Stíofáin posting from beyond the grave at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

So, because soccer is "popular in most countries of the world" (very vague indeed), it must be better? Jesus, I suppose you think Westlife is better than Iarla Ó Lionáird because it's "more popular"? Or that Bertie Ahern was a better taoiseach because he was "more popular" than the alternatives? Or that U2 is better than Johann Sebastian Bach because they are "more popular"?

By any impartial standard, the Gaelic Athletic Association is an absolutely amazing organisation which gives more to Irish society than any other organisation in this state. It is ours. It is not run by BSKYB or businesspeople in Britain or the US, and it is not obscenely paying "stars" millions of euro to kick a ball around. It has roots in the vast majority of local communities on this island. It is Irish. It is critical to the cohesion of local villages, parishes, towns and counties across Ireland. The GAA, and its flags, are the local identity for townlands, parishes and counties across Ireland. This is a fact.

It is utterly pretentious to think soccer - especially given that most soccer "fans" here only slavishly follow British soccer clubs - could be on a par with the GAA in Ireland. Get real, for the love of sweet Jesus.

I'd quit it now if i were you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Back on topic folks.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement