Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ESB reading help

Options
  • 26-09-2010 10:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

Hi there! I've just moved to a new apartment (first time in Ireland)

The landlord gave me the initial readings for the ESB and since, I've been checking the meters on a daily basis to get an idea of how much my account should be.

So, yesterday I turned on the storage heaters, just to have an idea.

Well, the problem seems to be that the landlord gave me the inverted values.

I was having an avarage of 8 KhW day on reader 1 and 6 on 2. I turned on the storage heaters and reader one had a 27 KhW reading delta from yesterday noon to this morning.

He said the the 1 is the day meter, but why would it get such a high value when the night reader should be to one to be counting that usage?

I wonder if he gave me it on the wrong order.

I have a digital reader where you press a button to check the readers, I wonder which is night and which is day.

BR

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: David

Hi zer0c00l,

A 2kw night-storage heater running on a maximum output setting would use 24 units in a given night (12hrs use); I would recommend familiarizing yourself with the settings of the heaters before putting them through a trial run, to avoid unnecessary consumption (and hence higher bills). :(

There is some useful information on night-storage heaters here; for further information we would recommend consulting the manual or contacting the manufacturer.

Regarding your digital meter, it would be best to PM me your account details so I could check the model, but in general, it can take quite a few presses of the main button on the front panel to get the breakdown of the day/night consumption. For example:

Initial display: Total units (single tariff customers need go no further)
    1st press: date
    2nd press: time
    3rd press: total (again)
    4th press: day
    5th press: night

It's worth noting that on some models the day reading is often labelled '2', while the night reading is labelled '1'. This, I admit, is somewhat counter-intuitive, but once you understand the display sequence, it's sure to become second-nature.

I hope the above information helps, but if you need me to go into more detail with you, please feel free to PM me.

Thanks,

David.

Advertisement