Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

remedial work query

Options
  • 26-09-2010 11:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭

if an existing installation has to be sub-divided and certified for esb metering purposes;

what is the situation with regard to;

lighting cpcs

dz fuses

size of main bonds

red/black cable colours

testing etc.

is there any guidance on this-afraid it's not normally my thing

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

looking for advice on:

-replacing DZ fuseboards

-certification of existing installations

regarding guidelines/rules on remedial work necessary

thanks for any info

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Maybe it can be put down as a partial rewire, had a similar one a couple of months ago, we left part of it as red and black as it was, but we were not splitting an installation in 2 though.

Its a good question though, with endless permutations as in when doing some upgrade such as replace a fuseboard with an MCB board, where do you stop short of a full rewire.

ah-i got away from the metering job(commercial premises) as it was all dz fuses/no rcd at all

with a lot of wiring and equipment added over the years

just wondering on fuseboard upgrade and certification of existing installations

-what the rules are

i'm not much for paperwork,usually a major sweat for my reci inspection

to get everything in order

Yes its one i often think of myself when changing a fuseboard to MCB`s, i mean even if the installation is not great, it must be better with the RCD alone, but if the installation is not bad but red and black, no earth to lighting etc, what then.

I had to re certify a house last year i wired as apprentice in 1989 as the ESB disconnected it mistakingly but then wanted a cert, luckily i had an earth to all the lights and all, which may not of been a requirement at the time but i ran earth anyway, but an extension was built over the earth rod so i put in another one. There is no end to the questions that could be asked in this area.

ah-there's a guide on page 328 of the rules for fuseboard replacement

i knew there was something-don't really need any help- just want to keep within the rules

hmm-they have to comply with 530.5 anyway-that means it has to be dropped to 2.25m when replacing the board

mcbs and loop-impedances to comply with disconnection times (0.4s for final circuits up to /including 32amp)

tails to be 16sq minimum

main bonding and MPC to comply with rules

that's the jist of it

no mention of lighting cpc's or cable colours that i can see

• Advertisement

Sounds reasonable anyway, that means even if was the old rubber cables it would be ok once it passed the loop etc, although it probably would`t pass with the earthing conductors from them days.

rubber cables is an automatic rewire for me

wouldn't touch it

Yes definitely without any doubt,

Advertisement