Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remix Competition 2 - DAW skills & Ear training

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

I'm out of this one. My laptop has started giving me a white screen whenever I turn it on. I brought it down to the repair guy and I'm looking at nearly 200 euros to fix it. Not the type of money I'm going to have this side of christmas so I won't be making any more tunes or taking part in these competitions for the foreseeable future. You can all breathe a sigh of relief now.

Aw ****e.

Where are you.

There's a place on Georges Street - with these Korean guys (they're Korean Christians) they fix phones and laptops - but the also have lots of spares - they may have a spare monitor they can do a deal with you on. They replaced my motherboard when it burned out for €120.

I'm out of this one. My laptop has started giving me a white screen whenever I turn it on. I brought it down to the repair guy and I'm looking at nearly 200 euros to fix it. Not the type of money I'm going to have this side of christmas so I won't be making any more tunes or taking part in these competitions for the foreseeable future. You can all breathe a sigh of relief now.

Something else to check out.

Usually laptops have a socket for a full size monitor - you connect the monitor to your laptop. Boot it up and the monitor may come on.

You might be able to get an old monitor that could do the trick for 20 quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,644 ✭✭✭dasdog

Yeah, there should be a vga out (monitor) socket on most laptops. The output is usually routed from the lappers own screen to the external port by holding a function (Fn) key and something like F5. Just do a search for your model to see what does this and bring it over to friends/family and test. If it works you can probably pick up a CRT monitor for nothing these days. I know they are useful/portable but I hate the damn things. Too fiddly and expensive to fix (and slow in comparison)...give me a mini tower any day.

I think I'll opt out of the comp myself too. I just punched in some midi notes by ear (probably a mile off) but I have nothing that sounds like the synth being used and no "proof". I tried cheating too (even trying blog searches and checking Japanese web pages among others) and I'm pretty sure the midi version isn't out there. Aud > mid app converter results were just laughable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭red dave

Ahh dasdog,

Even send through any attempt at it. It's like the forum. It's only as good as what users input to it. If jazz only gets little or no attempts by users then why should he bother going onto the next level. I haven't had a chance to try this all week but will make some attempt at it tomorrow...it may sound like the most embarrassing crap I've ever tried but I'm sending it through in order to get feedback at where I'm going wrong etc. or even just to train the ears for it. Give it a shot and you might be surprised man.

dasdog wrote: »

I think I'll opt out of the comp myself too. I just punched in some midi notes by ear (probably a mile off) but I have nothing that sounds like the synth being used and no "proof". I tried cheating too (even trying blog searches and checking Japanese web pages among others) and I'm pretty sure the midi version isn't out there. Aud > mid app converter results were just laughable.

Don't be such a wuss. I've got 7 bars of it done - and it fits perfectly. Wondering to do the lead in bar - which i can't hear that clearly. It's just the midi file you have to do - you don't have to recreate the sound. Which is something like Ice Cave piano - Preset C034 on some Roland things.

I didn't start by penciling it in - I set up a loop and played the chiclets on my Roland MC-505 (A machine I will be buried with) - played the chiclets til it sounded right.

Then pencilled them into Ableton - with a synth, that's nowhere near close and it fitted. The only bit I might have trouble with is the lead in of the arpeggio

The advantage with my Roland is there's no latency issues when I hit a note. Even with a few milliseconds latency on a DAW softh synth you can't get whatever it is you're trying to get right right.

Ear training though - really can take years. If you play something like guitar or piano and you're used to picking out tunes by ear - it's not such a big problem.

Don't be such a godamn wusss

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Neurojazz

The whole idea about these little tests are to reinforce your ability to express your self to the max - even though this is mainly aimed at remixing, the skill transpose across to your Art.

Not being fluffy or esoteric about this, but you get out what you put in. Try harder and you become your bigger self. Simples.

I'm passing on as much as I can on this front (and via soundcloud) while I can and want to arm you with some skills that you might normally shy away from. If you were paying a manager he'd say this....

'Don't let yourself down, rise to it and eat the problem alive or it will eat you. Fight you Fu*ker, Fight.'

etc...

I did mouse clicks in Reason, 1/32 notes all the same velocity/length and in the expected places (runtime 16 secs) which I did in about 20 mins so practically no work put in at all so no reward. The only way it sounds listenable too is if I loop the original in the background...but slices/screenshots...it would take longer to deconstruct and document than it took to try and re-interpret (am I even doing the write thing???). I spent many years doing the play-stop-rewind repeat ritual trying to figure out thrash metal songs in my teens :confused:

I did mouse clicks in Reason, 1/32 notes all the same velocity/length and in the expected places (runtime 16 secs) which I did in about 20 mins so practically no work put in at all so no reward. The only way it sounds listenable too is if I loop the original in the background...but slices/screenshots...it would take longer to deconstruct and document than it took to try and re-interpret (am I even doing the write thing???). I spent many years doing the play-stop-rewind repeat ritual trying to figure out thrash metal songs in my teens :confused:

Well, with most apps available you might be able to slow down the playback.

The job should only take a short time - but it's the method and creative paths people can take to get there.. some people can transcribe by ear, but for those that can't we can use the tools at our disposal. Each DAW has different utilities.

Neurojazz wrote: »
    The whole idea about these little tests are to reinforce your ability to express your self to the max - even though this is mainly aimed at remixing, the skill transpose across to your Art.

Not being fluffy or esoteric about this, but you get out what you put in. Try harder and you become your bigger self. Simples.

I'm passing on as much as I can on this front (and via soundcloud) while I can and want to arm you with some skills that you might normally shy away from. If you were paying a manager he'd say this....

'Don't let yourself down, rise to it and eat the problem alive or it will eat you. Fight you Fu*ker, Fight.'

etc...

NJaze, is right - there are essential skillz you must learn (skillz, I have come nowhere near perfecting yet). Skillz, you must perfect before you can escape Noobville (Noobville - pop-you-lay-tion = you....A very lonely town)

Did the Karate Kid say to Mr. Miyagi - I can't take this any more - he did....But did he walk away?.....He did not walk away.

The Karate Kid ...Did not walk away.

You want to be bum belt all your life - or do you want to be black belt?

And Sean Nash - - Sean Nash - really liked your Sunrise remix - the silent remix. Your mixes are usually so loud - but that one was so quite it was virtually inaudible.

There's some blackbelt sounds in that country about to dissolve (BEL) site you were referencing. Register/Download and up and running in no time. I'm trying to put 2+2 together and see how complex a snippet from a "rave/dance" or at the time in the charts song could be? I thought it was press a note and stand back Gary Numan style in awe at the new world. I think I have this all fvked up. Yousendit...an email service not a file host?

• Advertisement

There's some blackbelt sounds in that country about to dissolve (BEL) site you were referencing. Register/Download and up and running in no time. I'm trying to put 2+2 together and see how complex a snippet from a "rave/dance" or at the time in the charts song could be? I thought it was press a note and stand back Gary Numan style in awe at the new world. I think I have this all fvked up. Yousendit...an email service not a file host?

Filehost it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

Not gonna have time to enter into this one.. ill see ye all next week.. im off to Paris till Friday!! WOOOOHOOOOO:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

krd wrote: »
    Aw ****e.

Where are you.

There's a place on Georges Street - with these Korean guys (they're Korean Christians) they fix phones and laptops - but the also have lots of spares - they may have a spare monitor they can do a deal with you on. They replaced my motherboard when it burned out for €120.

I'm in the Midlands so I won't be around George St. in the foreseeable. I have a friend dropping over later he might be able to help me out and if all comes to all my brother in law has an old monitor I can use. I'll get something sorted out for it anyways.

Ok, will lock this thread and post winners name with next competition!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement