Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mac keeps freezing :(

Options
  • 26-09-2010 11:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 48

My macbook pro, 10.6.4 keeps getting spinning wheel,
    it usually happens when I turn on my mac first, if i use open office or iphoto or iweb and then randomly with any internet browser.

Sometimes it is just a few seconds but usually it is a few minutes and I have to half press the on/off button to get rid of it.

I have ran cleaning and maintenance through onyx and verified the disk in disk utility.

I do not have any big apps like graboid or divx and only have a limited amount of iTunes files (like maybe 100).

I would really appreciate if anyone had some more ideas on how to speed up my mac, thank you :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭Elessar

What macbook pro is it? When did you buy it?

Did you run the Hardware Test from the OSX DVD?

You'll get more help if you post in the mac forum here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=108

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,675 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

As an aside, I'd recommend caution when using OnyX. It's supposed be safe enough now, but in the past people have hosed their system using it. It's not to be used carelessly. You don't really need it anyway. OS X doesn't need constant maintenance like Windows does.

Re: your problem, you could have a misbehaving or rogue background process. Open Activity Monitor (in Applications/Utilities), click on the CPU tab and see if there's anything eating up an excessive amount of the CPU.

It's also possible, despite what Disk Utility is telling you, that your hard drive is failing. Especially if the spinning beach ball is happening constantly. Any unusual noises coming from the Macbook?

• Registered Users Posts: 48 hollyeef

It is macbook pro 13", about a year old, it doesn't make noises, maybe a bit overheated though,

The activity monitor has nothing over 4 or 5% cpu, 93% idle , if that makes sense ?

so should I delete Onyx to be better off?

• Registered Users Posts: 48 hollyeef

seems to work better when plugged in too if that makes sense?

Advertisement