Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Free add-ons when buying a new bike?

• 26-09-2010 12:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 325 ✭✭

Just wondering what extras, if any, people ask the bike shop to throw in as a deal sweetener when buying a new bike. For example, on a €1000 bike would you expect to get decent set of spd pedals with the bike?

Sorry i posted this in the wrong section. Could it be moved to the main cycling area?
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

I wouldn't think throwing in a pair of bottle cages and bottles if it's a racer or a set of mudguards if it's a mtb/hybrid/tourer should be out of the question - anything more than that would be a bonus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 350 ✭✭HappyHarry

ciarsciars wrote: »
    Just wondering what extras, if any, people ask the bike shop to throw in as a deal sweetener when buying a new bike. For example, on a €1000 bike would you expect to get decent set of spd pedals with the bike?

It seems that there is quite a high mark up on bikes sold in shops in Ireland. Not helped by the BTW scheme. The attitude seems to be ... sure you're getting it at 50% off so you don't mind if we fleece you on the full price.

How much of a deal you can get them to do depends on a few factors but mainly are you going through the BTW scheme? If so do you have a choice of shop or are you limited to a paricular shop? I know some large companies have a deal with a particular shop (in which case you are knackered!)

I think spd pedals at €50-€70 euro should be fair, but it depends on your leverage over them. If I was paying full price in cash, I'd expect about 10% of the values in accessories.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭paddyduc

HappyHarry wrote: »
    It seems that there is quite a high mark up on bikes sold in shops in Ireland. Not helped by the BTW scheme. The attitude seems to be ... sure you're getting it at 50% off so you don't mind if we fleece you on the full price.

Don't tar us all with the same brush. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 194 ✭✭sgriffin

eurocycles give 15% of the price of the bike worth in free accessories, so not all of us are fleecing people on the full price of parts and accessories

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

The shop can loose a bit of money if it done with the vouchers on the bike to work scheme. They might not be as inclined to do a deal in that scenario. If the Employer pays the shop directly it's as good as cash.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

sgriffin wrote: »
    eurocycles give 15% of the price of the bike worth in free accessories, so not all of us are fleecing people on the full price of parts and accessories

They're hardly free accessories if you've paying over the odds for the price of the bike. Why not have the price of the bike as the actual price without making the customer think he/she's getting a great deal with the added accessories that he/she may not need. If they want the additional accessories they can purchase them at the retail price of the good or else shop around for a better price bargain.
    I do understand the 10% loss the shop takes to redeem the One for all Vouchers so perhaps this is where the problem lies. At least with the ridiculous middle men on the BTW scheme it's the customer who pays their cut for practically doing a little paper work on behalf of the employer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Yi Harr

sgriffin wrote: »

Bought my wife a €500 bike in Eurocycles a few months ago, got a free kick stand with it. At 15% that's a pretty expensive kick stand.

Advertisement