Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newcastle United v Stoke City - 4pm - Match Thread - SS1

• 26-09-2010 1:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭

Newcastle%20United.pngimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcRVFnW6S3qKERsAMGjc8s-DMKxGvIQ6naM0hZUiJRbqPYhQUeQ&t=1&usg=__OH9bGM5_QoJsfuLsRPLJ8DDavgo=

Newcastle United v Stoke City - St.James' Park - SS1, 4pm.

Thought I may as well start a thread for this, even though there mightn't be a whole lot to talk about. It's on Sky Sports 1 at four and is a big game for both sides.

Newcastle United are looking to keep their good run of form going, after defeating Everton & Chelsea away from home in their last two outings.
    Chris Hughton is looking for all 3 points here today and these are inevitably the games we'll look back on should we mess things up down the line, and wonder what could've been.

As for Stoke, an emotional two weeks for Tony Pulis. His mother passed away before the Aston Villa encounter at home, in which he attended and gave the team an inspiring half-time team talk which saw the Potters come from behind and grab all three points in the last few minutes of the game.

Expected line-ups :

Newcastle United, Stoke City
    Probable-starters-in-bold-001.jpg

Odds :
    Newcastle United :19/20
    Draw : 5/2
    Stoke City : 17/5

Doocey's Betting Tip : Newcastle United 2-0 Stoke City @ 9/1 - PaddyPower

I think we'll win this game, and hopefully there'll be no repeat of last years' 'show'. Threw away a two nil lead, in the last minute, thanks to a former player Abdoulaye Faye.

Photo credits to the Guardian.

*Awaits serious abuse for starting this thread.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

I think we'll win this also. Much prefer Jonas for Routledge though. Poor mans Walcott.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

Ah I kinda like Routledge, he's quick and rarely loses the ball, even though many people claim that's one of his downfalls!

We should attack today, and attack like hell. Would love to see nothing more than us obliterating Pulis' side, as unlikely as that might be! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

Absolute must win game for Newcastle. A home tie against another team expected to be in the mix for relegation. The games against Villa and Everton are great bonuses but this is the bread an butter stuff that will ensure our survival. Although we were not that fortunate against Blackpool and on another day would have won the game I hope the lessons have been learned. An away trip to Man City should realistically yield very little for us which adds more importance to the result today.

Stoke are not the team they were last year or the year before. They keep the ball on the ground and play a lot more football. I suspect our key figures will be Andy Carroll for his work up front but equally on the defensive side where he generally sits front post and Tim Krul who will be busy from corners, freekicks and Delap howitzers!

Doocey wrote: »
    Ah I kinda like Routledge, he's quick and rarely loses the ball, even though many people claim that's one of his downfalls!

We should attack today, and attack like hell. Would love to see nothing more than us obliterating Pulis' side, as unlikely as that might be! :D

With the exception of the Wolves game is distribution is average at best...... 60/70%

Aside from that he runs into blind alleys a lot. At this stage i wonder if that can be coached out of him......

M5 wrote: »
    With the exception of the Wolves game is distribution is average at best...... 60/70%

Aside from that he runs into blind alleys a lot. At this stage i wonder if that can be coached out of him......

He does drift in a lot, which isn't very winger-ish, but I still think he's more than decent. Quick feet, and could cause Stoke huge problems today if he's given the ball.

I really fancy our chances today and as M5 said, must win!

• Advertisement

He does drift in a lot, which isn't very winger-ish, but I still think he's more than decent. Quick feet, and could cause Stoke huge problems today if he's given the ball.

I really fancy our chances today and as M5 said, must win!

Infuriating sometimes. I think he changes direction faster than his brain can account for :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,468 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

why isn't Tiote playing after his game against Everton? Don't tell me he's injured?

Sc@recrow wrote: »
    why isn't Tiote playing after his game against Everton? Don't tell me he's injured?

That lineup is not official

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I'd take Tiote ahead of Smith any day. It was only one game but he has made a big impact and should be fighting tooth and nail for that spot and I think he's got the edge over Smith.

He's strong, breaks up the midfield play very very well, can pick a pass and likes to get forward in support.

Smith is very rash in tackles. I admire his determination but he has and will cost us games.

As for Routledge. I really don't like him. He just can't beat the first man and is so frustrating to watch. He's quick yes, but his decisions when on the ball are woeful.

Also is Perch not suspended for today or is that ban set for a later date?

It's a must win for both sides. I don't think it'll be a pretty game to watch and I reckon it'll be scrappy for the most part.

It's a game we should be winning but Stoke have some big players and will be a threat.

Williamson will have to be careful today. Got away with incidents last week when Everton should've had 2 penalties imo.

If he's caught on the wrong side of an attacker I fear he'll do something stupid like stick out an arm in the box and pull him. I just hope Chris has a little word and tells him to keep calm. Apart from that Williamson is improving rapidly with every game.

If things start going sour with the formation we usually play in, I'd hope that Chris would change it around quickly and stick two up top which he doesn't seem to like doing for some reason or another.

I'm worried about the game a little bit but we need to be on our toes and get right in their faces from the off.

HOWAY THE FCUKING LADS

Infuriating sometimes. I think he changes direction faster than his brain can account for :)

Ah well, it's a nice comfort to think about who we can choose from. Jonas or Routledge. Ben Arfa or Jonas, Guthrie could even play on the right too when he recovers from injury.:)

• Advertisement

Ah well, it's a nice comfort to think about who we can choose from. Jonas or Routledge. Ben Arfa or Jonas, Guthrie could even play on the right too when he recovers from injury.:)

Lets not forget Gosling will be available in the new year too

That_Guy wrote: »
    I'd take Tiote ahead of Smith any day. It was only one game but he has made a big impact and should be fighting tooth and nail for that spot and I think he's got the edge over Smith.

He's strong, breaks up the midfield play very very well, can pick a pass and likes to get forward in support.

Smith is very rash in tackles. I admire his determination but he has and will cost us games.

As for Routledge. I really don't like him. He just can't beat the first man and is so frustrating to watch. He's quick yes, but his decisions when on the ball are woeful.

Also is Perch not suspended for today or is that ban set for a later date?

It's a must win for both sides. I don't think it'll be a pretty game to watch and I reckon it'll be scrappy for the most part.

It's a game we should be winning but Stoke have some big players and will be a threat.

Williamson will have to be careful today. Got away with incidents last week when Everton should've had 2 penalties imo.

If he's caught on the wrong side of an attacker I fear he'll do something stupid like stick out an arm in the box and pull him. I just hope Chris has a little word and tells him to keep calm. Apart from that Williamson is improving rapidly with every game.

If things start going sour with the formation we usually play in, I'd hope that Chris would change it around quickly and stick two up top which he doesn't seem to like doing for some reason or another.

I'm worried about the game a little bit but we need to be on our toes and get right in their faces from the off.

HOWAY THE FCUKING LADS

Served on Wednesday against Chelsea

I'd love to see Guthrie and Ben Arfa play out on the wings with Barton and Tiote in centre of midfield.

Served on Wednesday against Chelsea

Fcuk. :(

Really don't like him. Doesn't seem sure of himself back there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭demakinz

I hope Newcastle can win this 10pts from first 6 games would not be a bad start.

That_Guy wrote: »
    Fcuk. :(

Really don't like him. Doesn't seem sure of himself back there.

Whats the alternative? Cant see him being under too much pressure today tbh. Stoke not renowned for their wing play

demakinz wrote: »
    I hope Newcastle can win this 10pts from first 6 games would not be a bad start.

Quarter of the way to our goal this season! It would be a fantastic start alright

Krul
    Perch, Williamson, Coloccini, Enrique
    Routledge, Tiote, Barton, Ben Arfa
    Nolan

Carroll

Subs: Soderberg Campbell Taylor (R) Smith Ameobi Lovenkrands Gutierrez

Stoke City:
    Sorensen; Wilkinson, Shawcross (c), Huth, Collins; Whitehead, Diao, Whelan, Etherington; Walters, Jones.

Subs: Begovic, Higginbotham, Gudjohnsen, Fuller, Wilson, Delap, Faye.

Krul
    Perch, Williamson, Coloccini, Enrique
    Routledge, Tiote, Barton, Ben Arfa
    Nolan

Carroll

Howay!

Come on Lads!

HTL!

• Advertisement

Lost our way..... need more movement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Robert Huth is an idiot.

Nolan!! Peno! :D

1-0.

Stoke are really, really, really bad this season.

Get in there Nolan! :)

Gift of a penalty, heart failure when nolan stepped up. Dull dull game, this will liven it up

Very tidy performance from Toon. Joey Barton looks especially good.

Very tidy performance from Toon. Joey Barton looks especially good.

Thought you would have switched off at this stage being a neutral. Not the best game in the world. Newcastle have been tidy without being particularly effective. Should be a more open second half

Plenty of possession from our lot but we're finding it difficult to create anything. We're too slow on the ball which is giving Stoke plenty of time to get men back and defend in numbers.

We desperately needed that goal after all that possession.

Stoke creating nothing at all.

I really don't know what Huth was playing at. No need at all to go in like that.

I was rather nervous when Nolan stepped up to take that penalty but there you go.

Tiote looking good. Mr. Gray being a right prick about him when Tyler mentioned his 100% passing success rate against Everton last week.

We're looking good but I wish they'd stop fcuking about at the back. Enrique is excellent at sheperding the ball out of danger but they got cocky once or twice and it could cost us if we don't settle down. Basics first and foremost.

We need to keep at them in the second half.

Solid performance anyway even if we've not created an awful lot.

• Advertisement

Here comes Delap.....

Fuller misses a sitter.

Holy sh1t, Wake up lads. Lethargic so far in this half. Playing the ball into the wrong areas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Very bad miss by Fuller.

WTF was Nolan doing everything time Newcastle had a free near the box?

Fuller misses a sitter.

Thought that myself until i saw the replay. Had very little to aim at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,951 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Very bad miss by Fuller.

Stands behind the wall facing the goal so if the goalkeeper parries it badly, he could be in with a chance. Smart way of going about it IMO...

• Advertisement

Very bad miss by Fuller.

Facing the keeper so as to be first to any breaks off the goalie/woodwork

Charmed life here.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

Kenwyne loves hittin the woodwork

Gillington wrote: »
    Kenwyne loves hittin the woodwork
    Yep, not just in this game either,

Fuller's arm doesn't look right.

• Advertisement

mars bar wrote: »
    Stands behind the wall facing the goal so if the goalkeeper parries it badly, he could be in with a chance. Smart way of going about it IMO...
    Facing the keeper so as to be first to any breaks off the goalie/woodwork

I know, but he did it so hilariously I'm surprised Sorenson didn't collapse with laughter :pac:

I know, but he did it so hilariously I'm surprised Sorenson didn't collapse with laughter :pac:

Bit silly looking alright

F*uck! Can't say it hasn't been coming though! Wake up lads!

fully deserved equaliser

Deserved goal for Big Ken.

Toon Army seething that a former Mackem scores.

Fuller's arm doesn't look right.

He looks to be in a lot of pain.

And Jones scores!!

It was coming. Jones not being marked though!

It was coming. Jones not being marked though!

Marked by Barton for the last three incidents.... why?

Marked by Barton for the last three incidents.... why?

Well he escaped his marker easily, although Jones is a tank.

Carrolll..

What did Shreeves say about Fuller there? Loadsa noise in my house and didn't catch what he said...

• Advertisement
Advertisement