Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wifi troubles

Options
  • 26-09-2010 1:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭

I have my dell desktop connected with a cat 5 to the router. No problems with that.

My gf has a laptop and I have an xbox which are both connected wirelessly to the router but both seem to drop the signal every now and again for no real reason. Seems to drop out maybe after 30-40mins while on the xbox, not sure about the laptop as I don't use it.

I have turned off my router for over 30 secs to let it update and have went through all the channels manually but happens on them all.

Eircom even sent out a new router last week and the same problem and when I rang them again they said cause it's a new router it couldn't be that that is wrong, must be something in the house interfering with it. I don't have cordless phones and there is only 1 other wireless network near me which is a good bit down the road, maybe 70 meters, not sure what else could be the problem.

It's a Zyxel P-660- HW-T1 v3 router.

any help would be great, thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

First thing to try is to login and change the wireless channel

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭metalgear2k2

I have done that as per the OP ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

If you're sure that changing the wireless channel doesn't help then is there any pattern at all to the drop outs? What exactly do you mean anyway by "drop outs" - do the devices disconnect from the wireless or do you just lose Internet access?

If you were going to buy a new router then you need a router that's compatible with ADSL (unless you operate the existing Zyxel in bridge mode as a modem).

Nope, no pattern to the "drop outs", they can happen at any time, after 5mins, or 35mins but it hasnt lasted over an hour without a drop.

Drop outs:
    The xbox disconnects from xbox live, and logs out of messanger. Can log back in straight away, dont know what causes it, kinda like its timed out or something. Its the same on the laptop, but that auto maticly connects again so you dont notice it as much.

how do I tell if a router is ADSL compatible, do you know if that Dlink one is?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

Nope, no pattern to the "drop outs", they can happen at any time, after 5mins, or 35mins but it hasnt lasted over an hour without a drop.

Okay well first have a look at this thread on those routers

how do I tell if a router is ADSL compatible, do you know if that Dlink one is?

It'll be very obvious don't worry - they'll all say "ADSL" or "Modem" but double-check that the modem is inbuilt. That partiular one is not ADSL compatible. Before you go buying a new one, try and get hold of one of the older Eircom wireless router models (the silver Netopia ones maybe). There should be plenty of them lying about gathering dust.

Ok, seems like from that thread that im not the only one its happening to and changing the router is the only option. what a load of **** eircom are. thanks for ur help!

Post Your line stats

Line states? how do I get them?

Login to the router, they should be under dsl statistics. Attenuation and signal to noise ratio is what we're looking for. Paste them here.

I'm suspicious that You say Your wireless is dropping when You've tried every channel and a new router, maybe its Your line dropping out

• Advertisement

I got mine sorted, changed the router to an older motorolla eircom router a friend had laying around, works perfect!

Thanks everyone for the help, was just the crap Zyxel router, eircom sucks ass.

Advertisement