Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

army general service question

• 26-09-2010 2:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

I applied for all brigades in the army and now I heard that you were only suppose to apply for one so I just voided my chances, but I was shore I read somewhere that you should apply for all the brigades to increase your chances of been recruited, can anyone help me out with this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Kinza

Before this recruitment freeze came into force the website did recommend applying to all brigades to increase your chances (and it may still advise this) however I think for the current recruitment on the online application it said to only apply for one brigade.

I think I have read somewhere that the eastern and southern brigades will be starting training first followed by the DFTC and western brigade in early 2011. When I was in the Curragh for the Cadetship fitness test last week one of the officers told us that for 40 places available in the eastern brigade they had received 2500 applications so there is going to be a lot of people dissappointed for the forseeable future until recruitment returns to normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 jim048

I have to do the fitness test in Cork on Friday, and then in Dublin the following Friday
    so does that mean that I could indeed apply for as many brigades as I wanted to, I'm confused?? Yeah I heard 5000 applied in total, with 40 been recruited for each brigade so chances are slim but it's worth a shot, although that's just hear say so not certain on that.
    What do you mean when you say "until recruitment returns to normal"? As far as I was aware competition was always tough when the military were recruiting and their was always just a handful of places??

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Kinza

So you have fitness tests for both brigades then? Well that ain't so bad! From your first message I took it you had voided your chances of applying because you applied for all brigades.

What I meant by "returning to normal" was that because this is the first recruitment of general service personnel since the freeze hit it was probably always going to attract a high number of applicants. However I don't doubt competition was always high for getting in but I'm sure there was more places up for grabs in previous years than at the moment. Even the number of cadets being brought on this year is down on last year and previous years.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭fernandovargas

i applied to the western bridgade, jsut wonderin did they do the fitness tests yet as i never heard back apart from application confirmation

As far as I know fitness tests for the Western brigade aren't going to be taking place until 2011.
    You should hear back in January 2011 or so I've heard anyway.. has anyone got the numbers on how many applied? I heard over 5000 applied for it, can anyone confirm this?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

jim048 wrote: »
    As far as I know fitness tests for the Western brigade aren't going to be taking place until 2011.
    You should hear back in January 2011 or so I've heard anyway.. has anyone got the numbers on how many applied? I heard over 5000 applied for it, can anyone confirm this?
    Quite alot, though I heard the number was closer to the 4000 mark. I know eastern brigades interviews are this week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Regardless how many applied, it doesn't matter as your timings etc on the test won't have any influence on you being selected for interview and beyond.

Just make sure you train for the test!.

I've seen so many this week fail die to piss poor preparation .

the fitness test IS NOT and easy for for a civilian cominfr from a sedatory liefstyle and you'll really have to train for your test.

Best of luck.

Regardless how many applied, it doesn't matter as your timings etc on the test won't have any influence on you being selected for interview and beyond.

Just make sure you train for the test!.

I've seen so many this week fail die to piss poor preparation .

the fitness test IS NOT and easy for for a civilian cominfr from a sedatory liefstyle and you'll really have to train for your test.

Best of luck.
    A lad was taken off with oxegen when I did it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

There was about 10 from my group of 40 that did the fitness test. I found some people are fit but don't practice the right technique for the push-ups and sit-ups and get caught out on the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 145 ✭✭nyeb2007

BTCW aren't taking in recruits till March 2011

• Advertisement

Was at the interview today, a guy who failed the fitness test was told to go to the interview!!??

How did he manage to get through?? Does anyone know when we will find out if we got through the interview stage or not, and how did everyone find the interview?

How did he manage to get through?? Does anyone know when we will find out if we got through the interview stage or not, and how did everyone find the interview?
    No idea. If it's eastern yer waiting on you should of heard by now i think, though there might be another week of interviews so maybe end of this week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 kav1990

i asked them today and them said the interviews are on till 2nd november and medicals are mid november so should hear results about then i reckon....

what is the full title of the "AJE" office...(dont know how to really write how its said).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

Adjutants Office (Adj.) probably. The officer in a battalion who is responsible for the running of the unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Miceail22

Hey there,
    Any info on the Southern Brigade? Is there going to be another week of interviews after this one or whats the story. Any idea when there gonna start calling people for medicals.

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Sgt. Bilko 09

I applied for all brigades in the army and now I heard that you were only suppose to apply for one so I just voided my chances, but I was shore I read somewhere that you should apply for all the brigades to increase your chances of been recruited, can anyone help me out with this?

There are three brigades as follows eastern western southern (no northern for obvious reasons)
    If your from Dublin the Defences pressume you are applying to eastern bridage and then barracks of your choice mc kee, cathal brugha and so one.

You cannot put in for all brigades becuase it conflicts with one another hence the problem you have now.

Your best bet is the Headquathers and tell them about your situation otherwise it will not be processed properly or worse case secnario they'll through it out becuase of lack of information.
    Southern Brigade
    • HQ 1 Southern Brigade
    • 3 Infantry Battalion
    • 4 Infantry Battalion
    • 12 Infantry Battalion
    • 1 Field Artillery Regiment
    • 1 Cavalry Squadron
    • 1 Field Engineer Company
    • 1 Field CIS Company
    • 1 Brigade Military Police Company
    • 1 Logistics Support Battalion
    • 1 Brigade Training Centre
    URL="http://www.boards.ie/w/index.php?title=Irish_Army&action=edit&section=23"][COLOR=#0066cc]edit[/COLOR][/URL 2 Eastern Brigade
    • HQ 2 Eastern Brigade
    • 2 Infantry Battalion
    • 5 Infantry Battalion
    • 27 Infantry Battalion
    • 2 Field Artillery Regiment
    • 2 Cavalry Squadron
    • 2 Field Engineer Company
    • 2 Field CIS Company
    • 2 Brigade MP Company
    • 2 Logistics Support Battalion
    • 2 Brigade Training Centre
    URL="http://www.boards.ie/w/index.php?title=Irish_Army&action=edit&section=24"][COLOR=#0066cc]edit[/COLOR][/URL 4 Western Brigade
    • HQ 4 Western Brigade
    • 1 Infantry Battalion
    • 6 Infantry Battalion
    • 28 Infantry Battalion
    • 4 Field Artillery Regiment
    • 4 Cavalry Squadron
    • 4 Field Engineer Company
    • 4 Field CIS Company
    • 4 Brigade MP Company
    • 4 Logistics Support Battalion
    • 4 Brigade Training Centre

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 kav1990

Adjutants Office (Adj.) probably. The officer in a battalion who is responsible for the running of the unit.

thanks a million i couldnt remember that at all..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Blondie23!!

Hey, does anyone know when you will hear bak after the interview in the eastern or southern brigade??

And also, if they want you to come bak again for the madical does that mean ur accepted or what???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

Hey, does anyone know when you will hear bak after the interview in the eastern or southern brigade??

And also, if they want you to come bak again for the madical does that mean ur accepted or what???

If you're called back for the medical, you can assume you're definitely in with a shout.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 217 ✭✭SIRREX

Poccington wrote: »
    If you're called back for the medical, you can assume you're definitely in with a shout.

When I joined (24 years ago admittedly) if you passed the medical you were sworn then and there, would be interested to hear from some of our newer members if this has changed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 ArdMhacha

Just got an email from E Brig, looks as if I've past the interview and have a medical pretty soon. Delighted! Wonder how many got through..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 adam12345

i applied for the eastern brigade i have done the fitness test and interview and am hoping for an email allowing me to go to stage 3. i was wondering if anybody who had an interview with the eastern brigade on the week of the 11th of october has recieved the email or are they still waiting pleeeeeeeeeease help me out my wits are streched with worry about not recieving one i just want to know if they have sent them out can anybody help?

Will check my e-mail later and let ya know. Still waiting myself.

sound man i posted that last message then seen the one above it about your man getting it haha really hope i get it cause its the irish defence forces or the royal irish regiment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 jimbob88

Just got an email off the 2 Eastern Bde yesterday saying i'm to go in for a medical on the 3rd of November. Does this mean I they'll offer me a position after I pass the medical?? or does anyone know how it works?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 jimbob88

adam12345 wrote: »
    i applied for the eastern brigade i have done the fitness test and interview and am hoping for an email allowing me to go to stage 3. i was wondering if anybody who had an interview with the eastern brigade on the week of the 11th of october has recieved the email or are they still waiting pleeeeeeeeeease help me out my wits are streched with worry about not recieving one i just want to know if they have sent them out can anybody help?

I had my interview on the 15th and have a medical next week.

Hey,
    Had interview the 11th oct for southern brigade and now have medical the 4th. so relieved

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Dec0512

Any interview tips?

• Advertisement

shave, where a suit, shake their hands and be yourself! youl have time to prep for it when you are there and they give you a sheet to run over to help you with it youl be grand

jimbob88 wrote: »
    I had my interview on the 15th and have a medical next week.
    **** i had mine on the 11th and still no word back

rang e brig today turns out interviews are still going on and i was wondering if anybody knows if they send out the emails randomly to people who have passed the interview or do they send them out in groups to the people who pass the interview on specific days. like id mine on the 11th october i havent heard anything back yet people from that day and that week have can anybody help?

Dec0512 wrote: »
    Any interview tips?

Write down your examples for Teamwork, Working Under Pressure and and Motivating Yourself a few days before hand. You need two for each and be able to talk about them at length because you will be asked questions about them.

Make sure you know about the army as well. Things like brigade organization, ranks, training etc. You'll find loads of info on military.ie. It's a good idea to write this stuff down a few days before as well so you can learn it off.

Also of course wear a suit and look presentable.

I made sure i was prepared for mine and it definitely helped.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Dec0512

Thanks for the tips!

I thought they waited til all the interviews wer done before they sent out emails to who passed... my boyf doesnt have his interview til this fri, for the eastern one that is.... god knows how many will be goin for medicals by the sound of things... thought they wer only recruiting bout 40 or 50....

• Advertisement

rang e brig today turns out interviews are still going on and i was wondering if anybody knows if they send out the emails randomly to people who have passed the interview or do they send them out in groups to the people who pass the interview on specific days. like id mine on the 11th october i havent heard anything back yet people from that day and that week have can anybody help?

I thought they waited til all the interviews wer done before they sent out emails to who passed... my boyf doesnt have his interview til this fri, for the eastern one that is.... god knows how many will be goin for medicals by the sound of things... thought they wer only recruiting bout 40 or 50....
    40...with 10 in spare for people that drop out I think. Thousands have been eliminated already and more will be by the medicals
    Still waiting here, don't panic about it mate

Dec0512 wrote: »
    Any interview tips?

Hey,
    Just think of the competancies, especially teamwork and motivation. Show them your the kind of person who can work as part of a team and keep yourself going and those around you when others would others would start faltering and complaining. Be honest and genuine. Draw on your own experiences best you can and let them know this is what you really eant to do. Best of luck

has anymore people recieved emails about the medicals?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 382 ✭✭ak51535

Anyone hear anything from the DFTC?

• Advertisement

anyone know when they will be recruiting again after this time???

anyone know when they will be recruiting again after this time???
    aparently they are taken another 40 after christmas i heard. can anybody confirm this?

aparently they are taken another 40 after christmas i heard. can anybody confirm this?

There are 40 for the west and 40 for DFTC (Curragh), but the deadline for applications has already passed, so if you haven't applied online already, it's too late

• Registered Users Posts: 35 payno

surely everyone will be notified of medicals soon. Is there anyone still waiting on interviews?

I think all the interviews are finished now.. think they finished on the 2nd... jus medicals now!!!

They have started to call people for the fitness test in the WEST, my next door neighbour has his 16th nov.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 karlosrush

Has anyone heard back for the eastern brigade yet??the wait is killing me!!

no, same here. Either tell me to piss off or tell me to come for a medical already.

I'm still wating to hear from the southern brigade. Apparently they started the medicals last week so it's bugging me even more now.

I'm still wating to hear from the southern brigade. Apparently they started the medicals last week so it's bugging me even more now.

What date was your interview??

• Advertisement
Advertisement