Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rent Allowance Questions

• 26-09-2010 2:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭

Hello all,

I live at home in a smallish town that has nothing to offer me, wasting my time here. Im on the dole and living at home. A friend of mine may have a job gotten in a city, my question is if we get a two bed flat would I be able to get rent allowance?

I would have more of a chance getting a job in this city, thing about it is, this person I want to move in with is female and im male, afaik they wont give rent allowance to couples? So been male and female im sure they will think we are a couple.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

Hello all,

I live at home in a smallish town that has nothing to offer me, wasting my time here. Im on the dole and living at home. A friend of mine may have a job gotten in a city, my question is if we get a two bed flat would I be able to get rent allowance?

I would have more of a chance getting a job in this city, thing about it is, this person I want to move in with is female and im male, afaik they wont give rent allowance to couples? So been male and female im sure they will think we are a couple.

You will have to be renting for 6 months before your entitled to rent allowance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭OneForTheTeam

gustafo wrote: »
    You will have to be renting for 6 months before your entitled to rent allowance

Ok thanks didnt know that, is that newly in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

Ok thanks didnt know that, is that newly in?

Tis like that all the time as far as i know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

You may get Rent Supplement if you have been living for 6 months (183 days) out of the last 12 months in one, or a combination, of the following:

* Accommodation for homeless people
    * Private rented accommodation. You must be able to show that you could afford the rent at the beginning of your tenancy and that you could have continued to pay rent but are unable to do so because of a change in your circumstances which occurred after you started renting.
    * An institution, for example, a hospital, care home or place of detention
    Or
    * Be assessed in the last 12 months by a local authority as being eligible for and in need of social housing. If you don't have a housing need assessment, you must go to the local authority to have your housing need assessed. The local authority must be in the same area that you intend to live and claim Rent Supplement. Only when you are assessed as eligible for and in need of housing can you apply for Rent Supplement

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/social-welfare/social-welfare-payments/supplementary-welfare-schemes/rent_supplement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭OneForTheTeam

Balagan wrote: »
    You may get Rent Supplement if you have been living for 6 months (183 days) out of the last 12 months in one, or a combination, of the following:

* Accommodation for homeless people
    * Private rented accommodation. You must be able to show that you could afford the rent at the beginning of your tenancy and that you could have continued to pay rent but are unable to do so because of a change in your circumstances which occurred after you started renting.
    * An institution, for example, a hospital, care home or place of detention
    Or
    * Be assessed in the last 12 months by a local authority as being eligible for and in need of social housing. If you don't have a housing need assessment, you must go to the local authority to have your housing need assessed. The local authority must be in the same area that you intend to live and claim Rent Supplement. Only when you are assessed as eligible for and in need of housing can you apply for Rent Supplement

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/social-welfare/social-welfare-payments/supplementary-welfare-schemes/rent_supplement

Thanks for that, so looks like i can get it due to living at home? So i would have to be renting for 6 months before I could try and claim it? Dont supoose they back pay it? Looks like im screwed so I have a car loan so 80 or so euro rent on a place in the city along with repayments of that means i couldnt afford it. So looks like im stuck at home:(

• Advertisement
Advertisement