Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planning on moving in a month, should I wait to sign on then?

Options
  • 26-09-2010 2:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭

Right so here's the situation. I'm just finished my masters last Friday so like the vast majority of other students I find myself without a job (or even a interview) despite the numerous applications filled in. So I unfortunately need to depend on Social Welfare, job seekers allowance.

I'm currently living at home (Co. Wexford) but I plan to rent off a friend of mine when the sale of a house she's buying in Dublin goes through. She says this should be in the next two to four weeks. I will be moving up immediately after this.

My question is this. Should I go into the SW office tomorrow and sign on for where I am now or wait until I move back up to Dublin? My concern is that they would question why I'm moving from home to the capital. Obviously I wouldn't be entitled to rent allowance at home, but would there be hassle in applying for this if I moved?

Thanks in advance.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

Mossyman wrote: »
    Right so here's the situation. I'm just finished my masters last Friday so like the vast majority of other students I find myself without a job (or even a interview) despite the numerous applications filled in. So I unfortunately need to depend on Social Welfare, job seekers allowance.

I'm currently living at home (Co. Wexford) but I plan to rent off a friend of mine when the sale of a house she's buying in Dublin goes through. She says this should be in the next two to four weeks. I will be moving up immediately after this.

My question is this. Should I go into the SW office tomorrow and sign on for where I am now or wait until I move back up to Dublin? My concern is that they would question why I'm moving from home to the capital. Obviously I wouldn't be entitled to rent allowance at home, but would there be hassle in applying for this if I moved?

Thanks in advance.

You will have to be renting for 6 months before you will be entitled to rent allowance

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

gustafo wrote: »
    You will have to be renting for 6 months before you will be entitled to rent allowance

Please note this is not the only way to become eligible.

Rent Supplement will only be provided if the accommodation is suitable for your needs and the rent is below the maximum rent level set for your county.

You may get Rent Supplement if you have been living for 6 months (183 days) out of the last 12 months in one, or a combination, of the following:
    * Accommodation for homeless people
    * Private rented accommodation. You must be able to show that you could afford the rent at the beginning of your tenancy and that you could have continued to pay rent but are unable to do so because of a change in your circumstances which occurred after you started renting.
    * An institution, for example, a hospital, care home or place of detention

Or

* Be assessed in the last 12 months by a local authority as being eligible for and in need of social housing.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/social-welfare/social-welfare-payments/supplementary-welfare-schemes/rent_supplement

Advertisement