Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I love Channel 4

• 26-09-2010 3:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 595 ✭✭✭

I just feel the need to say how much I love Channel 4.

Having a lazy Sunday and thanks for 4oD I've watched 2 brilliant docs, 2 programmes with the love of my life Sarah Beeny and now I'm planning on watching one more doc.

I just love this channel, the programmes the commission and produce and the fact that 4oD is free to all in UK/Ireland.

It puts RTE to epic shame and I would gladly pay C4 ~€120 a year instead of RTE if they were my national broadcaster.

That is all.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

This is one of the things I miss most about Ireland tbh (well, the UK too I guess, but I only discovered it in Ireland).

More TV channels should have setups like Channel 4. It's so convenient and they still make the money from ads. Don't get why the method's not more popular.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

I agree Channel 4 rocks. Missed out on the last 2 episodes of the Inbetweeners but got to see them today on 4oD:) Legendary service

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Roro4Brit

In case anyone has an hour to kill...I watched that movie/doc Last Train Home this morning and thought it was a great story

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/last-train-home/4od#3120201

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I love the internet

kthx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I love sex and the internet!
    surely someone can come up with something combining the two

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

I really loved their addiction to reality tv bollocks. Truely awe inspiring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

I agree, Channel 4 is a terrific channel - some brilliant documentaries, comedy and drama

Hopefully it will get even better now that Big Brother has ended - Huge amount of airtime freed up and an extra £20 million added to their drama budget.

Some great programmes in their archives on 4OD

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/4od/all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Channel 4 is great, More4 has some superb docs and Film4 is very good too!

Cracking stations altogether!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The thing about Channel 4 is that they are the one station that genuinely seems to be moving with the times. By having pretty much everything available on 4oD, they pretty much invalidate any need to download stuff illegally. So they get their ad revenue (and tbh I'm happy to put up with the reasonable amount of ads on 4oD) and the viewer is satisfied with their experience. In the absence of any major service like netflix or Hulu over here, 4oD is the only thing out there that genuinely seems to cater to viewers, legally anyway. Sure, BBC have iPlayer, but we don't enjoy that luxury. So 4oD is well ahead of the game: free, easy, legal and available in Ireland.

Now, if only every other channel learned from it, success!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

C4 - the channel that created and brought us Jade Goody, ......yeah.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

I'm guessing you love them more than the rest of us so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

I think Jade Goody's parents created Jade Goody. I might be wrong but that's how my Biology teacher told me it works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Havermeyer

I also do need to confess my love for Channel 4.

And although they (and I know you shouldn't start a sentence with and) give us a website with many great shows on demand, with 4od, nothing compares to documentary Tuesdays on more4.

Viva Channel 4.

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    I really loved their addiction to reality tv bollocks. Truely awe inspiring.

You can complain all you want about what they choose to air, but have you actually been to the website? If you're giving out about that kind of crap I'm assuming you haven't, they have a massive collection of all kinds of stuff-- documentaries, comedies, dramas, all quality shows. I don't get your problem with C4 at all tbh. The website is one of the most fantastic I've seen outside of America in terms of pure content.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭Doodah7

It's not an American station so he won't like it...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

The thing about Channel 4 is that they are the one station that genuinely seems to be moving with the times. By having pretty much everything available on 4oD, they pretty much invalidate any need to download stuff illegally.

Not entirely. You still can't watch 4OD out foreign (and there's no chance of any of their programs ever been show on TV over here).

Not entirely. You still can't watch 4OD out foreign (and there's no chance of any of their programs ever been show on TV over here).

Well, as much as it inconveniences me not being in ROI/UK, it's due to copyrights more than anything that it can't be aired elsewhere. I'm not sure it would be possible to have something that could air internationally. It would be incredibly complicated, I would think?

I think on a country-by-country basis is fine.. let them all sort out their own laws.

That reminds me, I was meant to set up a proxy plugin... hm.

I've never understood that whole copyright thing. Surely Channel 4 owns the copyright to its own shows no matter where they're viewed?

I've never understood that whole copyright thing. Surely Channel 4 owns the copyright to its own shows no matter where they're viewed?

Think they only own the rights to air them within their own country. At least, that's the impression I've got from how those sites work. Otherwise surely an international channel would have been set up, surely? (Not counting the UK/IRE divide as international, you share the channel and half a country).

If it were possible I'm sure there would at least be a channel for North America in general, but there isn't. Hulu is States only.

But again, I'm just speculating, I could be totally off, but I'm almost positive it's tied up in copyrights somehow.

liah wrote: »
    You can complain all you want about what they choose to air, but have you actually been to the website? If you're giving out about that kind of crap I'm assuming you haven't, they have a massive collection of all kinds of stuff-- documentaries, comedies, dramas, all quality shows. I don't get your problem with C4 at all tbh. The website is one of the most fantastic I've seen outside of America in terms of pure content.

I made a comment on one strand of their programming that I didn't like. Your assumption that I dislike Channel 4 is so wide of the mark that it is laughable.

• Advertisement

Production companies will own the rights to some shows, American channels will own the rights to other shows. Also I think they'd have to register as a "broadcaster" in certain countries to show their stuff.

amacachi wrote: »
    Production companies will own the rights to some shows, American channels will own the rights to other shows. Also I think they'd have to register as a "broadcaster" in certain countries to show their stuff.

It's weird, because they're not braodcasting anywhere but on their own website which is, presumably, in the UK. The fact that anyone can access it from anywhere else shouldn't enter into it really. It seems like one of these things where there's no real concrete rules but they try to avoid breaking them anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

Very very good service, occasionally will still use old methods to grab some of the shows because of my poor streaming connection, but fair dues were its due, great set up they have online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

i do love channel 4 they have made such class tv shows shameless, the inbetweeners, fr ted this is england 86, brass eye ,the it crowd and thats just off the top of my head

It's weird, because they're not braodcasting anywhere but on their own website which is, presumably, in the UK. The fact that anyone can access it from anywhere else shouldn't enter into it really. It seems like one of these things where there's no real concrete rules but they try to avoid breaking them anyway.

But does the channel OWN the rights to their TV shows or would it be more accurate to term it "leasing," for lack of a better word?

I have trouble believing they own all the rights for showing, there must be some agreement that it is only for UK/ROI. Maybe something to do with tracking, even? I really don't know. There has to be a reason.. doesn't there?

Might have something to do with tracking ratings, or the fact that the company who owns the show still has to make deals with other countries so their channels will air the show. Money money money.

There must be a reason... I suppose if no agreement exists between the program's owner (I'm not sure to what extent commissioning a new series makes you the owner) and a foreign broadcaster for broadcasting in a country, then no broadcaster in that country can show the content, but 'broadcasting' over the internet really isn't the same as there is no physical setup whereby a television company has to relay a signal in its host country. As there's no physical restriction in place, they're creating a false one by filtering IP addresses, but I'd really like to know if there is any real legislation requiring them to do that and what the wording of that is.

OT:
    How reliable are IP addresses in determining a user's location and is it legal or explicitly illegal to use a proxy server associated with another country to acess content?
    Conversely, if no broadcasting contract exists for the transmission of programming in a specific territory, how can it be illegal for a user in that territory to access the content by IP spoofing, downloading etc. if there's no copyright in that territory for the user to infringe?

It is rights. RTÉ have the same problem with Fair City. They cannot put it on the RTÉ Player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    It is rights. RTÉ have the same problem with Fair City. They cannot put it on the RTÉ Player.

That's for the best though....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Roro4Brit wrote: »
    I just feel the need to say how much I love Channel 4.

Having a lazy Sunday and thanks for 4oD I've watched 2 brilliant docs, 2 programmes with the love of my life Sarah Beeny and now I'm planning on watching one more doc.

I just love this channel, the programmes the commission and produce and the fact that 4oD is free to all in UK/Ireland.

It puts RTE to epic shame and I would gladly pay C4 ~€120 a year instead of RTE if they were my national broadcaster.

That is all.

I actually miss old Channel 4, when they would do a season of programmes on subjects like India or China. I noticed BBC4 robbed that idea now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

They show American football every Sunday night

There's no other terrestrial channel doing that, you'd need Sky or Eurosport or pay on the NFL website

They found a gap in the market and it's pretty good, on at 1am on Monday morning.

Only one game a year in Wembly and I remember the first half on BBC and then they moved it over to BBC3 for the second half , like how many people have that channel. :rolleyes:
    BBC didn't give a damn and it's one game a year

40D is brilliant and I'll sit through the few ads they have.
    People don't need to illegaly download and Channel 4 can sell their advertising still

There may not be specific rules yet but they're in the pipeline. Also if another company in another country has the rights then Channel 4 obviously can't stream to that country. Also if a production company or distributer is looking to sell the rights to another company in another country they won't want it freely available already. Then there's the mish-mash of Channel 4-produced stuff, American produced stuff, the Endemol conglomerate and the independently produced stuff. Some programme they probably could stream elsewhere but it would be very hit and miss.

So if, theoretically, someone in... Italy, were to acquire episodes of The Inbetweeners (not yet released to DVD), could that person be prosecuted, and if do, by whom and for what?

Only one game a year in Wembly and I remember the first half on BBC and then they moved it over to BBC3 for the second half , like how many people have that channel. :rolleyes:
    BBC didn't give a damn and it's one game a year

Anyone in the UK with digital tv (a lot of people) have BBC3.

Advertisement