Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

For all those thinking about adopting a feral or stray cat!

Options
  • 26-09-2010 3:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭

Go for it! On left Harry, stray from Limerick, on right, ex-feral Morris from Dublin:

61123_448644155888_169411475888_5284502_6293221_n.jpg

None of them were kittens when they arrived and both are tame now and enjoy their lives here at EGAR.

I've got six cats here now and all of them were at some stage feral or strays, I have never regretted taking them in. It's great to see how they come around slowly but surely and it is so gratifying to see them trust again and come for a cuddle or two ;).

Tinkerbelle is here since April, she was truly wild and now goes in and out as she pleases, I could even touch her the other day!

58398_444247530888_169411475888_5194839_5295180_n.jpg

The winter is coming and alot of cats are getting a raw deal in Ireland due to no fault of their own. So please look after the stray/feral cats in your neighbourhood.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Living in perfect harmony :).

46685_440960330888_169411475888_5125833_5981257_n.jpg

Lucy, Ivan, Harry, Tinkerbelle and Morris. :) Missing from the pic is Lay Lay, she only comes home at night ;)!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sambuka41

My little fella was a stray that adopted me!! Him and his brother both had a bad case of cat flu,luckily enough they came through it!!!

dont know how to make them show up in post but here a few pics of the strays ive come to know and love

The first pic is Jack my baby who i kept. He HATES all other cats,i wish he didn't id love another one or three:p

Second is a kitten that was thrown from a car in my local shopping center,she developed a hernia from the fall,she is happy in a new home now :D

And last pic is Paddy,Jack's brother. Unfortunetly when my flat mate moved in with her boyfriend Jack and Paddy started fighting so I had to find a home for Paddy. He is happily living in Kildare where he is spoiled rotten!!!:D

Take the bit of time to get to know these cats they are soooooo worth it. I'd be lost without my little Jack-Jack now. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭pokertalk

EGAR. thats alot of cats and you rescue dogs too?? is this all from your house?? fair play to ya

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Feargal as Luimneach

2la92ep.jpg
    Smoky or as he is more commonly known "The furry one"

Here's my rescue cat Smoky. I found him in the hedge behind my house. There was four kiitens around 12 weeks. My dog Tintin killed 3 of them. I was able to catch Smoky. I orginally planned to get him a home, but soon found out he had chronic diarrhea. He took around a month to get him right, by that time I had grown found of him. I decided to keep him:)

He was never afraid of the dog so thats why Tintin never killed him ( I think). They get on great now.

Smoky is spolit rotten. The girlfriend often slags me for treating Smoky like a King, but I always tell her poor Smoky spent 12 weeks half dead in the Hedge and that he deserves a bit of comfort;).

Smoky's favourite hobby is jumping on my head when I'm asleep.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

We've been adopted by three feral kittens (well, they're almost adults now) and it's lovely to have them around as we had to put our dog down due to old age about a year ago and the place just wasn't the same without an animal around.

My mum's highly allergic to cats, so we can't have them inside, but they've really made themselves at home in the shed and have a great time exploring and playing among all the bits and pieces that are stored there. They also love sitting on the window sills looking in at us.

Don't have any pictures yet - we're only starting to be able to pet them, so maybe when they're a bit more established I'll get a few.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Narsil

We have 2 feral cats who live out in our garden in two vet bed lined kennels we bought for them. The keep us constantly entertained with their antics and Jess(the black and white) loves when we talk to her,she rolls around and purrs!
    Jess had 6 kittens last year and wandered into our garden. We caught 2 of them,tamed them and Limerick Animal Welfare rehomed them, 3 vanished so we couldnt catch them and the runt stayed so we caught her and her mom,neutered them and released them
    Here they are sitting on out window trying to see our indoor cat!
    NewGhost089.jpg

The two we tamed and were rehomed: Cookie the tabby and Biscuit the calico
    Snugglebugs.jpg

And our own 3 legged indoor cat Hopkins!
    untitled.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭October

[QUOTE=

And our own 3 legged indoor cat Hopkins!
    untitled.jpg[/QUOTE]
    Sorry for bringing the thread off topic, but I wonder if I could ask you Narsil how your cat manages on three legs. My cat had his right rear leg amputed just over two weeks ago. He's back at the vets at the moment because he got an infection and the wound opened. Is there anything Hopkins has problems with? Did he take long to get used to three legs?

Thanks

October wrote: »
    Sorry for bringing the thread off topic, but I wonder if I could ask you Narsil how your cat manages on three legs. My cat had his right rear leg amputed just over two weeks ago. He's back at the vets at the moment because he got an infection and the wound opened. Is there anything Hopkins has problems with? Did he take long to get used to three legs?

Thanks

Hey! Sorry to hear your puddy had to have his leg amputated:(,may i ask what happened?

We got Hopkins from Limerick Animal Welfare 2 years ago so he had the leg off before we got him. They said he was found in a carpark with the leg badly broken. He also broke his pelvis and had to be crate rested for weeks, so he went through the mill the poor boy!

He manages just fine except he cant really jump higher than the bed as its the left rear leg he had off too.
    We have an 8 month old GSD and when he was a puppy Hopkins used to chase him with a paw raised to strike(hilarious to see!!) so the 3 legs doesnt seem to hinder him at all:D

When we got him he licked his amputated area bald and when we took him to the vet there was a huge infection in the area that had to be operated on. Hair follicles started growing back inside the wound which caused the infection. He has been great ever since, a really cuddly happy cat!

The main things are that he has to be kept indoors as he wouldnt be able to get away from things quickly in the wide world and we have to make sure he doesnt become overweight as it will put extra pressure on his joints

I'm sure your kitty will adjust fine, just give him a bit of time and see maybe if the vet can offer advice to help him settle into being a tripod cat;)

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭October

Hi, thanks for your reply. Poor Hopkins, he has had a tough time but delighted to hear he's over it now.

My cat is 8 and when he was 1 (before I got him) he broke his leg in a few places and had several operations at the time and had pins/screws inserted. One pin moved away from the bone and into the knee joint and the remaining pins/screws became infected and the infection got into the bone.

He already is an indoor cat so that won't be a problem. He is also a very skinny cat so hopefully extra weight won't be a problem. The only thing that may be a problem is he likes to jump up on the kitchen counter to supervise me getting his food ready!! He also likes getting up on the window sill cos he likes being a nosey neighbour!!! I'm sure he will try to jump where he normally jumps because he probably won't realise initially that he can't do it anymore.

Can't wait to get him home and get back to normal!

Thanks

October wrote: »
    Hi, thanks for your reply. Poor Hopkins, he has had a tough time but delighted to hear he's over it now.

My cat is 8 and when he was 1 (before I got him) he broke his leg in a few places and had several operations at the time and had pins/screws inserted. One pin moved away from the bone and into the knee joint and the remaining pins/screws became infected and the infection got into the bone.

He already is an indoor cat so that won't be a problem. He is also a very skinny cat so hopefully extra weight won't be a problem. The only thing that may be a problem is he likes to jump up on the kitchen counter to supervise me getting his food ready!! He also likes getting up on the window sill cos he likes being a nosey neighbour!!! I'm sure he will try to jump where he normally jumps because he probably won't realise initially that he can't do it anymore.

Can't wait to get him home and get back to normal!

Thanks

Aw he's been through the mill too poor boy!
    If i'm preparing food or doing anything in the kitchen,Hopkins will come over and look up at the counter and then at me, so we lift him up and he can watch the ferals outside.We're lucky that our other windowsills downstairs are knee height so he can get up there no problem.

Maybe putting a cat tree near the counter tops so he could get up might help?

• Advertisement
Advertisement