Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Washing machine tripping main MCB

Options
  • 26-09-2010 4:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,508 ✭✭✭

I pPut a wash on this afternoon and the MCB in the hall tripped half way through.
    Plugged everything out and narrowed it down to the washing machine.
    The problem is an unusual one. The washing machine is fine if it's plugged in but as soon as I close the door, the MCB trips and all the sockets go dead.

It's a Hotpoint.
    Any idea what's going on here? Short circuit somewhere?
    I had to pull the thing out from the wall to plug it out and now have a washing machine full of sopping towels sitting in the middle of the kitchen floor along with a load of water still in it.

I'll have to wait until the morning to ring someone but anyone here care to shed some light on the problem and what I could be looking at to get it fixed?
    Anyone come across something like this before?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

sounds like a short in the doorlock.
    Doorlocks shouldn't be too expensive if it's that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

hmm-doubt it's the door lock itself

closing the door starts the cycle doesn't it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Came across this with a machine before. turned out that the inlet pipe had perished with a pinhole leak. dripped onto the motor and was tripping the RCBO

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Came across this with a machine before. turned out that the inlet pipe had perished with a pinhole leak. dripped onto the motor and was tripping the RCBO
    Yes, the chances are it is something to do with water shorting something out.
    Every time I have come across this on a washing machine, dishwasher etc it has been a leak.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,508 ✭✭✭Heroditas

M cebee wrote: »
    hmm-doubt it's the door lock itself

closing the door starts the cycle doesn't it

Well yes and no. The cycle has been cancelled so it shouldn't start when the door is closed.
    However, when I close the door now, it's as if it tries to start the cycle because the lock is activated instantly, even if the main power button for the machine is off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

2011 wrote: »
    Yes, the chances are it is something to do with water shorting something out.
    Every time I have come across this on a washing machine, dishwasher etc it has been a leak.

Yes same here, almost always water causing that. Id agree as well its not likely to be the door switch itself. Once the door is open most other parts of the machine are de-activated, probably a leak from some pipe and dripping onto electrical terminals. If you take the waste drain pipe and put it flat on ground it should drain the water out of drum, and you may be able to put machine on its side and look for signs of leaks by looking into bottom of it.

the older manual dials -the machine would operate when door is closed

It's just been wheeled out to be taken away for repairs .... one of the elements is gone in it.

i was going to suggest:)-but could have been something else anyhow

M cebee wrote: »
    i was going to suggest:)-but could have been something else anyhow

If it was the element every time it would be simple to sort. Its hardly ever that simple. Them mashing machine elements normally very reliable except when get covered in limescale and so they overheat being kept away from the water, until they split and in goes the water.

• Advertisement

Limescale doesn't seem to be too much of an issue here.
    Certainly our kettle appears to be ok.
    Might just have to start using Calgon in the wash.
    We should have it back on Thursday evening or Friday morning. :)

Heroditas wrote: »
    Limescale doesn't seem to be too much of an issue here.
    Certainly our kettle appears to be ok.
    Might just have to start using Calgon in the wash.
    We should have it back on Thursday evening or Friday morning. :)

A you might be fine so if the kettle is ok, elements do fail and sometimes look intact on the outside. Just one of those things. A lot of elements that do fail in water do split and the water causes the RCD to trip. Them RCD`s are very sensitive.

Advertisement