Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Money in Thailand

Options
  • 26-09-2010 4:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭

not sure if this is the right place to post this but i couldnt find a Thailand forum

Me and my GF are heading to thailand for a month on the way to Oz and im wondering whats the best way to have money in Thailand?

like traveller cheques, just go to the atm but is there big charges for this?

im slightly reluctant to carry a large amount or leave it in my room

any suggestions would be great thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭neaideabh

Here's a forum you should use for queries like this. I used it when I was going abroad and found it very helpful.

http://www.expatforum.com/expats/thailand-expat-forum-expats-living-thailand/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

not sure if this is the right place to post this but i couldnt find a Thailand forum

Me and my GF are heading to thailand for a month on the way to Oz and im wondering whats the best way to have money in Thailand?

like traveller cheques, just go to the atm but is there big charges for this?

im slightly reluctant to carry a large amount or leave it in my room

any suggestions would be great thanks

Well when im in thailand i usually just bring euros with me and i exchange it and lodge it in a thai bank account that i have but obviously ye wont have a bank account so i would say travelers cheques and a few euros stashed in your bag are your best and safest bet,

If you use your irish atm or credit card you will have to pay 150 baht from the thai bank and usually 2-2.5% from the irish bank so it is very costly to use cards there now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Wife and I were there on our honeymoon. we found it beneficial to take dollars with us. Got a good exchange rate on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Dr.Giggles

If you are going to use a card, use your credit card. I only had my debit going there (foolishly didn't bother checking how much it costs to take out money) also with a debit card depending on your type you can only take up to I think 100 a day, which results in lots of trips to the ATM (costly).

Whereas obviously credit card larger limit on withdrawls. so my advice would be bring Euros change them at an exchange and then take out a lump of money every few days.

Advertisement