Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Employment notice

Options
  • 26-09-2010 4:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, I'm looking for some advice here. Meant to post in Work & Jobs, but did not want to sign up for a boards account.

So, I've been offered an entry level temp job. The contract states that I'd have to give a month's notice. But the employer only needs to give me a week's notice. Is this common?

Where do I stand on this if I decide I want to leave after a few weeks if I get another job or I just don't like it?

Would I have to give the 1 month's notice? What can the employer do if I fail to do so?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

What can the employer do if I fail to do so?

You've hit the nail on the head there.

All they can do is:
    • Be slow about paying outstanding wages (more a problem if you're paid monthly than weekly)
    • Be slow about giving you your P45
    • Refuse to be a referee, and spread nasty rumours about you (only a problem if you think they've got any credibility, eg if you live in a small town and they've got powerful friends)
    I have a feeling, but am not sure, that what they're trying isn't quite legal. Could be wrong, And anyways you're not likely to be taking them to court over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

JustMary wrote: »
    You've hit the nail on the head there.

All they can do is:
    • Be slow about paying outstanding wages (more a problem if you're paid monthly than weekly)
    • Be slow about giving you your P45
    • Refuse to be a referee, and spread nasty rumours about you (only a problem if you think they've got any credibility, eg if you live in a small town and they've got powerful friends)
    I have a feeling, but am not sure, that what they're trying isn't quite legal. Could be wrong, And anyways you're not likely to be taking them to court over it.

If you walk out without giving any notice i don't think they can or will do much tbh. I think its illegal to hold onto a p45. But i agree with you they can always just play dumb and be awkward

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thank you JustMary and amiable !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭chappy

Within your first 13 weeks nobody is obliged to give any notice on either side by law.Out of courtesy I would always recommend giving a weeks notice even during this time just to be civil.

If you sign a contract with that notice period but do not work it after the 13 weeks the company could sue you for breach of contract. However, I have heard of this happening to very few people .

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,315 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

JustMary wrote: »
    It is perfectly legal; the law only sets out minimum notice but contracts are allowed to exceed it (with in reason, i.e. a clerk position can't have a 6 month notice from the employee).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭tinnuvial

You can give whatever notice you want, you can walk out immediately if it suits you. The only come back they really have is to give you a bad reference. They could technically sue you for breach of contract but who would bother unless you were earning huge money and had left them out of pocket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

AFAIK if you get paid weekly, then you are legally obliged to only give a weeks notice.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,315 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

dellas1979 wrote: »
    AFAIK if you get paid weekly, then you are legally obliged to only give a weeks notice.
    Wrong.

Advertisement