Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to buy good steaks in Dublin

Options
  • 26-09-2010 5:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know where to pick up really good quality steaks in Dublin? Any renowned butchers, or can you buy the raw steak from a good steakhouse? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭breakfast roll

I love the Aldi rib eye steaks, 11.99 for 2. They are yum yum :)

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭5T3PH3N

Not in Dublin, but if you can get out to Kepak in Clonee you can buy some the finest steak in the country from the shop there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

+1 for aldi's dry age steaks,
    also superquinns dry aged one are great too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

The butchers beside clearwater tesco finglas are great.

They always have a large selection of fillets ,lovely and fresh. They also have loads of other spice meats etc ,all their meat is fresh, lovely red colour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

You can't go wrong with argentinian beef. Never had a bad one yet.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Just look for dry aged beef (most irish beef is dry aged) anything past 3 weeks aged will be nice, 4 weeks will be damned good, 5 weeks will be amazing.

5 week dry aged beef will look like this
    dry-aged-meat.jpg.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Another +1 for Aldi's rib eyes. They're fantastic.

If you're in D8 or around Rialto - Ennis Butchers have fantastic steaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭gerry87

Thanks for the replies. I was looking to give them as a present (weird, i know) so I might have a look around for some aged ones like Seaneh suggested. Would all butchers have these on offer? I was thinking of trying in http://www.fallonandbyrne.com/section/117

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,647 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

yoshytoshy wrote: »
    The butchers beside clearwater tesco finglas are great.

They always have a large selection of fillets ,lovely and fresh. They also have loads of other spice meats etc ,all their meat is fresh, lovely red colour.

The one in Charlestown Shopping Centre, off the St Margaret's Rd, is just as good, if not better. It's McArdles Meats.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭nosietoes

There is a great butcher on Camden Street
    Can never remember the name but it is just past the veg shop heading away from town and its main feature inside is a massive wooden butcher's block. While the meat in the cabinet looks bog standard, if you ask him he'll bring out some proper aged steaks for you. Apparently the majority of Irish shoppers don't like to look at delicious deep wine/purple coloured meat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

nosietoes wrote: »
    There is a great butcher on Camden Street
    Can never remember the name but it is just past the veg shop heading away from town and its main feature inside is a massive wooden butcher's block. While the meat in the cabinet looks bog standard, if you ask him he'll bring out some proper aged steaks for you. Apparently the majority of Irish shoppers don't like to look at delicious deep wine/purple coloured meat

100% Correct

Thanks all. I rang the guy on camden street he said he didn't do it. So i gave up and popped into the butcher in Donnybrook for some 'normal steaks'. Turns out his were 32 week dry aged so perfect!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

gerry87 wrote: »
    Thanks all. I rang the guy on camden street he said he didn't do it. So i gave up and popped into the butcher in Donnybrook for some 'normal steaks'. Turns out his were 32 week dry aged so perfect!

32 day, not week, I'd hope.

Seaneh wrote: »
    32 day, not week, I'd hope.

Uh oh... so you're saying rotting isn't good??

32 day i think!

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭breakfast roll

Corsendonk wrote: »
    You can't go wrong with argentinian beef. Never had a bad one yet.

Have never tried Argentinean beef before but would love to. Where can you buy it in Dublin?

Advertisement