Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Success in veg/fruit

Options
  • 26-09-2010 5:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭

What has grown for ye? I've potatoes galore, berries galore and onions galore!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I've had lots of onions, garlic, beetroot, carrots and parsnips. And kilos of cherry tomatoes and potatoes. Back in the summer I had peas and courgettes and tons of salad leaves. I was too busy to go caterpillar-hunting on my brussels sprouts plants so some of them have been decimated but I think I'll get some edible sprouts off them. I tried celery and it wasn't bad, but don't think I'll bother next year. My one blueberry plant yielded quite a bit but the strawberries didn't do very well.

I'm going to do a clear-out soon and plant onion sets and garlic for next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭leonards

i've just finsihed making my raised veg bed and i've planted garlic and onions to grow... first attampt at growing veg so fingers crossed. i planted the garlic bulbs around 3 weeks ago. There are ow garlic sprouts around 1-3 inches tall... is my garlic growing too soon dueto warmer weather the last 3 weeks ?? thanks....

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭qzy

Potatoes were excellent apart from Lady Balfour (slugs ate half them and they were tasteless)
    Peas, Swedes, Red & White Onions, scallions, lettuce were all very good
    Currently the Gortahork cabbage are huge, Ballbriggan Sprouts doing well
    Tons of Parsley, mint, chives, Basil etc..
    Carrots the only poor crop this year for some reason

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

qzy wrote: »
    Currently the Gortahork cabbage are huge, Ballbriggan Sprouts doing well

Do you spray your leafy greens with something? Mine always succumb to downy mildew and the caterpillars.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Cucumbers did very well, grown in a fishbox!
    Herbs did OK, Pumpkins did reasonable, beans did OK. Soft fruits did huge amounts. Blueberries,Raspberrys and Strawberrys. Apples did well.
    I am going to get a massive tunnel for next year 60ft x 20ft and that will do everything that I want.

• Advertisement
Advertisement