Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your favourite decade for music(Long read and poll)

Options
  • 26-09-2010 6:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,415 ✭✭✭

Has anyone any particular decade of rock and metal music that they enjoyed over all other decades, for any reason at all. The decades that i'll list in a poll will be 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's and 00's. I'll also put up an option for other but since the 60's were the big years for the rock and metal movements, I don't think anyone would disagree that anything before the 60's would get a vote. But hell maybe people to disagree. I will also be giving an overview of each decade as well, to the best of my ability. Anyway

60's- The 60's were known for the British Invasion. When bands such as The Beatles, The Rolling Stone, The Who etc made a name for themselves over in the United States, and became world wide known. It was also known for the birth of Heavy Metal that Black Sabbath influenced. But many other bands such as Led Zeppelin, The Doors and Jimi Hendrix made there names in the 60's as well as other bands and acts that I haven't mentioned.

70's- The 70's could be known for it's hard rock with bands like Aerosmith, Van Halan, Lynyrd Skynyrd and even our very own Thin Lizzy leading the march. Many other artists popped up and became commercially sucessful in this decade such as Kiss, Judas Priest and Queen. The 70's could also be known for the beginning of the New Wave Of British Heavy Metal that started in the late 70's but moved into the 80's with bands such as Saxon, Iron Maiden and Def Lepperd being major names of this movement. Of course the 70's were also known for punk rock, and their punk bands like Sex Pistols and The Clash

80's- While the NWOBHM had moved into the 80's and influenced many bands, they were ultmiately met with hard resistance from yet another movement. The Thrash Metal and Glam Metal/Rock movements of the 80's. A sub genre of Heavy Metal, Thash Metal became prominent in the 80's when bands like Metallica, Anthrax, Slayer and Megadeth became the pioneers of the movement also known as The Big Four. But let's not forget Testament and Exodus as Thrash Metal acts of that genre too. Then you have the other side, the side that constantly clashed with Thrash metal, Glam metal/rock. While Thrash metal's origins lie in San Fransico, Glam metal lies in Las Angelus, with bands such as Motley Crue and Ratt, Dokken adn W.A.S.P all having influenced the genre and of course later on Guns 'n' Roses too also had a share in influencing the genre.

90's- Yet another movement came about in the 90's that amost knocked glam and thrash metal off it's feet. So much so that a lot of bands of the 80's had a hard time coping with. I'm speaking of course about Grunge. Nirvana, Pearl Jam and Alice in Chains all made their names and in turn became a focal point for the new generation of this decade. Their sucess of course was short lived, as Grunge only proved to be successful for a certain amount of time. By 1995 grunge was pretty much on the decline despite still being a big influence. But not going into details, grunge declined and allowed for other genres to be brought out such as Nu Metal. Korn, Papa Roach and I guess Slipknot(Although i'm not sure about Slipknot) can be known for this genre, but later on Linkin Park would follow suit as well. Some other names I feel are worthy of mention would be Nikelback, Foo Fighters and Queens of the Stone Age. Oh and pop rock band such as Oasis and Blur.

00's- What can I say, this decade is proberly the most questionable of times for rock and metal. It seems rock and metal is on the decline now, being replaced by lesser bands, unless anyone disagree. But i'll still list some notable things for this decade, such as. The mainstream success of EMO music, with notable names as My Chemical Romance, 30 Seconds To Mars, Fallout Boy and Funeral for a Friend. You also had Kings of Leon making it big in the 00's, Bullet For a Valentine and Trivium aswell. One thing I will mention about the 00's is that it has also shown the reviatlisation of certains bands that seemed to be on the bring of destruction such as Metallica who from 2000 to 2003 were in a bad way what with Jason Newstid leaving and Jame's alcholism. Also Motley Crue were having some problems as well. Vince Neil was also battling alcholism and seemed to be out of shape and lost his vocals. But much to the fans happiness(i think) both bands managed to survive, and imo are better then ever.

Other- This is just to say that if you thought the 50's were the time you preferred or rather any other decade, that here's the option.

One more thing, i'll give my answer later on after the thread has gotten some replies.

Which decade 46 votes

60's
    0% 0 votes
    70's
    4% 2 votes
    80's
    21% 10 votes
    90's
    26% 12 votes
    00's
    39% 18 votes
    Other
    8% 4 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

For me it has to be the nineties! Alice in Chains would be my favourite band, that style of music would appeal to me the most.

The 70s never really held any appeal to me. Rock Dinosaurs like Zeppelin, Purple etc.. Never really drew me in. I appreciate what they were doing was great, and massively influential. There were some wonderful musicians, but as far as connecting on an emotional level, it just didnt excite me.

The 80s were ok. Ehmm although I wouldnt be a huge fan of the main genres. I love Maiden, I love Metallica.(although I think they reached their peak with Load) The other bands in their genres though, I could take or leave. Like I wouldnt be a massive thrash fan. I like certain songs by certain bands. Id be a thrash metal greatest hits fan more than anything else.

In saying that, I suppose an honourable mention would have to go to Guns n roses. Love them, and appetite was released in the 80s so..

Then the nineties. This is where all my favourite bands come from really. The attitude of the early nineties was amazing. You had all the grunge bands, Alice, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, stone temple pilots. Then you had Rage against the machine. Tool. Metallica had become the stadium giants they were destined to be, guns n roses were at their peak.

I'll admit the decade weakened as it progressed. The above mentioned bands were doing their thang.. but the new bands coming out werent quite as good. Eg Linkin Park. In saying that, there was some great new bands towards the end of the decade, bands that were doing original stuff, Korn, Slipknot, Deftones and System of a Down all deserve a mention here.

The 00's can **** right off. The only band that has emerged in this decade that really excited me is Mastodon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

70s first, then 90s. But I couldn't leave out any decade to solely listen to one. Gotta mix n match. Except 00s. Feck right off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

80's and early 90's were definitely the golden years for metal, the closest point of metal to mainstream success IMO. Although most mainstream metal band these days are fairly ****e, the underground scene is seeing a bit of a revival in the noughties. especially death metal and the new wave of black metal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭MickShamrock

Voted 90's. Was a close call between that and 00's.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,415 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Right, I voted 80's. It was a tie at first between the 60's and the 80's. The 60's because of the impact it had. The bands of the 60's out rock and roll and metal on the map. They brought into mainstream. Plus some of my favouite bands are from te 60's such as The Beatles, Rolling Stone, The Who and Black Sabbath.

However the 80's were just hardcore rock and metal. Everything seemed a lot more heavier then, and my personal favourite bands were from that time, Metallica, Motley Crue, Guns n Roses and Red Hot Chilli Peppers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

Gotta the the 70's

Stones came into their prime
    AC/DC had Bon Scott
    Led Zep ruled the world

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

80's cause I'm a Maiden/metallica fan and they both had their best output in the 80's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

I'm gonna go with the 00's. I believe it to be tragically underrated, that after so many decades of rock and metal being the slightly underground thing, people are way too quick to criticise the popular aspects of the genre without looking deeper into it.

Due to the internet, reduction in cost of recording and general ease of bands to get themselves out there, it's been much easier these past few years to find the best of genres that you would never have heard before.

But anyway this decade has really excelled with Metalcore, Deathcore, (If you look past the t-shirts that you might see in temple bar) Post-rock and metal, death metal and progressive metal.

With metalcore, Between the Buried and Me have been the band that stick out most as having the best aspects of Metalcore and progressive, Colors is one of the finest albums ever released IMO.
    Misery Signals are also an amazing Metalcore, combining the emotive aspects of Hardcore with brilliant melody. And of course who could forget that bands like Shai Hulud and especially Converge put out their best albums over the last 10 years?

After the Burial, The Contortionist, Knives Exchanging Hands and Painted in Exile show the Deathcore isn't just a Hot Topic bandwagon genre that so many elitists like to say, and is capable of having some really top notch bands.

Post metal pretty much started this decade so bands like Isis, Cult of Luna, Intronaut and Irepress have put out some of finest albums of the last few years, Somewhere Along The Highway by Cult of Luna is one of the best albums I've ever heard.

Melodic and Technical death metal bands have had some great albums over the decade. The Faceless' Planetary Duality shines through as a briliant tech death album, and of course Necrophagist albums. There's also both albums from Obscura which are sublime, especially Cosmogenesis. In terms of Melodic Death, Insomnium, Amorphis, In Mourning, Swallow the Sun shows how the genre has if anything improved since it's roots in the mid 90s.

And then undoubtedly the biggest improvement is the different bands that can be categorised as Progressive Metal. French bands Hacride and Gojira have a great mix of the progressive and heavy, and of course Meshuggah. Pain of Salvation and Dream Theater had some great albums over the last few years, and some of the "Djent" bands seem to be showing promise, especially bands like Tesseract and Periphery, and then the amazing DIY stuff of Cloudkicker, Keith Merrow and Chimp Spanner show the good thing about the 2000's.

Also, Emo is a genre, not a goddamn mark of quality.

So yeah, 2000's are pretty cool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

I went with 90's back when bands like Machine Head, Fear Factory,Pantera, Biohazard, Sepultura, White Zombie, were at the peak of metal. So many cool bands in this decade in the early to mid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'm gonna cheat 1965-1975

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

75-85 for all the gothic, punk etc wave n experimental but for metal far as a decade goes i'd say 85-95

but for the whole of the latter 20th century i think it ran its course most progressively n effectively. was always something completely new and different on the horizon

- voted '80s.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Nephilim Wolf

I can't really pick just one decade, because I love the 80's and 90's the best. The 00's had some great albums as well.

80's - Because of bands like Fields of The Nephilim, Metallica, Judas Priest, Bathory, Venom, Iron Maiden, Saxon, Scorpions, Bowie, The Cult, U2, Magnum, Sisters of Mercy, The Mission Uk, Guns N' Roses etc.

90's - If there's one thing that stands out for me, it has to be because of Scandinavian metal. So many truly great bands came out of Denmark, Finnland, Sweden and Norway at that time. The main bands that stand out for me would be Darkthrone, Dimmu Borgir, Dark Tranquility, Amorphis, Opeth, Bathory, Emperor, Old Man's Child, In Flames, Hypocrisy, Gehenna, Mercyful Fate, Dissection, Tiamat, Immortal/I and Katatonia.

00's - The 00's are okay, but not next or near as class as the previous decades. For me personally, goth rock bands like The Eden House, Adoration, NFD, Elusive and Voices of Masada have really made a name for themselves with the albums they released. Fields of The Nephilim released the excellent 'Mourning Sun' album, so that made a lot of old Neph fans very very happy. As for metal it's been more of a case of miss than hit for me. Moonspell made 'Night Eternal' which is probably the best album they've made in years. 'Mer De Noms' by A Perfect Circle is just a sheer class album, and it's a shame they never topped it.

In 2000 Iron Maiden released the rather excellent 'Brave New World' album which was a real return to form. 'Nostradamus' by Judas Priest was a great album, and far far far better than the last album, and a much more enjoyable 80's lead guitar sound. Amorphis have also released some of their best albums in thier career so far. 'A Taste of Extreme Divinity' by Hypocrisy is an incredible album, and the best they've done since the self titled album. 'The Voice of Steel' by Nokturnal Mortum is definitely one of the very best symphonic black metal albums I've heard in a very very long time. 'Blackwater Park' by Opeth is another class album that comes to mind, when I think of the 00's. Unfortunately in my opinion it's their last truly great album.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Voted 90s cause it was a pretty strong time for bands that I like, though the 00's hasn't been too bad for some of them. Sure lots of crap has come from the 00's (at least in my mind), but a lot of the older bands are doing decently.

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭JBnaglfar

I would vote 70's for prog (although King Crimson were around since 69), but 80's for metal. A tough one, but 70's gets my vote for prog, hard rock, early metal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Black Magician

has to be late 80's early 90's, the rise of Death Metal!! Classic bands like Obituary and Carcass in their prime

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

Gotta say the 70's because of that decades' influence on subsequent ones. It was a melting pot with a slow release. Think about it all the bands today owe a debt to the 70's whether they acknowledge it or not. If it wasnt for punk and early NWOBHM there'd be no thrash or death metal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

All decades have great music, it's a little unfair to say one's necessarily "better" than another, just different.

I quite like this decade (Well, 2000-2010, since it's a bit premature to mean the actual 10's) for music so far, I like the turn it's taking in terms of the "dirty blues" revival, alternative country folk bands like Two Gallants, dubstep and electronic-based music is getting more creative every day, the gypsy punk movement, great female vocalists starting to get some popularity, post-rock.

A lot of the music I listen to lately is from within this decade. The aforementioned Two Gallants, the Black Keys, Mt Eden, Dr. Dog's version of Heart it Races (REALLY digging this song the last year or so, unusual as my favourite songs change weekly normally), Gogol Bordello, Florence + The Machine, The Samuel Jackson Five, Royksopp, The White Stripes, Gorillaz, Sigur Ros, Olafur Arnalds.

I also love loads of 90's, 80's, 70's, 60's, 50's, 40's and classical stuff. I don't get how you could pick just one decade unless you only listen to a few related genres of music that were incredibly popular at the time, but as I listen to pretty much everything it's too hard to constrict it to one era.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭Under A Funeral Moon

I'm torn between the 80's and 90's. The 60's, 70's and 00's have their strengths too, of course. I feel the 80's and 90's produced some of the best metal though. Most of my favourite bands and/or albums emerged during these decades.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

80's for me. Thrash metal and glam - two polar opposite genres of metal that I like!

90s a close second - pantera and death metal to the forefront

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

the 90s, early to mid 90s for me. Think of how many bands had really strong albums out at the one time:

U2, Janes Addiction, Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth, Pantera, FNM, COC, Suicidal Tendencies, Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, White Zombie, Sonic Youth, Aerosmith etc etc etc

But I'm sure someone who was 15 in 1979 would say the same about the late 70s....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭rednik

The 70s for me for lots of reasons. I grew up in the 70s for a start and started buying LPs around 76/77. I still listen to all of the music I bought back then and for me it has never been surpassed.

Zeppelin reached their peak around 75 and were the best band by far until the late 70s and then tragedy struck.

Floyd brought out Dark side, WYWH and Animals which again for me are classic albums never equalled.

Lizzy were also in their prime with the classic line up of Robertson/Gorham giving absolutely blistering live shows.

Fleetwood Mac released Rumors and went through the roof.

Lots of other bands to many to mention but I am just off to listen to Page/Plant and a bit of Kashmir.

pity the turn of the millennium, even the '60s nearly usurps it. sooner bang my head to the beatles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

I really have to go with the 90's. No matter what type of music you're into you'll find fantastic music from the 90's.

Of course you have the grunge bands like Alice In Chains, Nirvana, Screaming Trees, Pearl Jam etc.
    It was the greatest decade for electronic music with artists like Aphex Twin, The Chemical Brothers, Biosphere and Autechre and you have the trip-hop movement with bands like Massive Attack, Portishead, Sneaker-Pimps and Hooverphonic.
    There was the shoegaze movement at the start of the decade where you had great bands like My Bloody Valentine, Slowdive, Ride and Pale Saints making some of the best music ever.
    You also had plenty of great metal and hard-rock stuff like Electric Wizard, Sleep, Kyuss, Sepultura, Norwegian black metal and tons more.

And of course the overall best thing about the 90's being The Smashing Pumpkins' classic material.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Seattle grunge era for me

Advertisement