Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Removing splashed varnish from patio?

• 26-09-2010 6:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭

Just finished treating my porch's cedar cladding with a product called Textrol. It's an oil-based substance that penetrates the wood and gives long-lasting protection. It's not very viscous and so it splashes easily. As a result, there are patches of splashed Textrol on the surrounding patio and I'd like to remove them. White spirits doesn't do it...I tried. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Cellulose thinners should lift it if it's oil base. Might need to dab at it and leave it to work in a bit then remove it.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭jwb1

Wertz wrote: »
    Cellulose thinners should lift it if it's oil base. Might need to dab at it and leave it to work in a bit then remove it.

...any particular brand(s) to get?

JB

Not really, it's a standard chemical (toluene and xylene I think). Rustins is the only brand I can think of offhand that come in a small amount. You'll only need a few ml.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

If you buy it from a DIY store it will cost an arm and a leg for a tiny quantity -- something like Hammmerite thinners, for example. Buy a 5 litre can from a motor factor, where it will cost about €10.

You're right of course, but why have 4.9 lts of a dangerous chemical sitting about that you're probably never going to use?
    With that in mind if you (OP) know anyone that does respray jobs or a decorator that uses it, ask them for a small bottle instead of buying it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

Wertz wrote: »
    You're right of course, but why have 4.9 lts of a dangerous chemical sitting about that you're probably never going to use?
    With that in mind if you (OP) know anyone that does respray jobs or a decorator that uses it, ask them for a small bottle instead of buying it...

Fair point. I have long used it for a number of things including using GRP, so I'm used to having a can of it handy. There are lots of uses for a strong solvent I find, and it does no harm in the garden shed -- no worse than the can of petrol for the lawnmower. The point I was considering was that we don't know the extent of the splashes the OP refers to, and 100 ml of thinners won't go far.

Still, I wouldn't disagree with you.

Advertisement