Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

My Les Paul Jr project

• 26-09-2010 7:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭

My 1000th post!

This is what my guitar original looked, a cheap chinese made epiphone lp jr bought for 100 or so euros . Its quite basic and it had a good few flaws. So I decided to upgrade it into a John Lennon style Les paul Jr. The main alterations are a P90 pickup in the bridge and a Charlie Christian pickup in the Neck. John Lennon had one of these made for his Madison Square concert

b6485a43aee824ef6552418.jpg

So my Dad and I set to work on it. We routed the neck for a pickup and drilled a channel for the wiring. We also had to route in a switch for the second pickup

24092010123.jpg

The route for the switch

26092010129.jpg

The guitar couldn't stay in tune a moment, so some Grover locking tuners were essential

24092010124.jpg

And here it is!

26092010125.jpg

A bit closer, the scratchplate is the old one which I cut down to refit.

26092010126.jpg

The Charlie Christian pickup was hand wound for me by Vintage vibe. It has a lovely low velvety tone excellent for Jazz.I also changed the capacitor on the tone control to a vintage sprague to give it even more warmth.

26092010127.jpg

The P90 is actually a Gibson P94 which is built to retrofit a humbucker. It has plenty of bite and clarity. It has a sound reminiscent of late 60's Pete Townsend, plenty of bite.

26092010128.jpg

Willl probably at a tune-o-matic bridge as the intonation is slightly off. But its still a very nice sounding guitar with plenty of versatility in its two pickups.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Awesome work man. What's the neck like on it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭damonjewel

Its pretty decent, its dead straight and there are no nicks in any of the fret wires. I have the action nice and low and I tried out a set of Ernie ball hybrid strings which are really nice (the use a thin gauge .009 for the top E, going to a thicker gauge than normal in the lower E).

I usually pick up my fender strat first when practicing and to go from the jumbo frets on the strat to this makes my playing so easy. Also not having the greatest span in my fingers I can achieve a lot more with the LP jr. Saying that the fret wires are quite big so it wouldn't be a shredders dream. But for my own style its fine.

There may be a time in the future i go for a neck change but it does its job fine for now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 jimmy99

Great job man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Looks good! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 625 ✭✭✭wild turkey

Nice Job , Well Done !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

impressive work yet again! keep the projects coming :D

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭DHYNZY

really good work. extra bit of satisfaction knowing you helped create the tone? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

Lovely job indeed!

Advertisement