Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exotic Pets

Options
  • 26-09-2010 8:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭

Another example of fine pet ownership in Ireland shown in the link attached. I dont understand why people are getting these pets only to release them into the wild. Have they no clue about what they are doing to native species? In my own opinion these pets should be micro chipped and registered to their owners.
    In this instance our native red squirrel is under enough pressure from grey's with out having to compete with another foreign species.

http://www.biodiversityireland.ie/invasive-species-alert-chipmunk-spotted-in-waterford/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

It was obvious this was going to happen. It's the first thing I thought of when chipmunks started appearing in petshops. Why the hell is the pet-trade not better regulated:mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Surely the chances are that it's only one that has escaped from somewhere and the chances of it finding a mate are zero to slim :confused: They're still not that common as pets to my knowledge, it's most likely to end up as dinner for something else :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭jap gt

Surely the chances are that it's only one that has escaped from somewhere and the chances of it finding a mate are zero to slim :confused: They're still not that common as pets to my knowledge, it's most likely to end up as dinner for something else :(

there has been a couple of sightings in waterford in different locations so its looking like more than one

Advertisement