Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hunt of a run

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Antigrav

Reckon I'll give this a go. Would love to run through Kilruddery more often, but it's only open for events.

Got to do the 10k tho :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Rinker

This is fairly local to me so I'm hoping to do it too. Nice event to bring the kids to as well. Everyone's a winner:)

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭greenplain

Yup signed up to do the 10km. Ran a race in Killruddery during the Summer and it was lovely down there. Should be a bit of craic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,549 ✭✭✭Peckham

Same guys that are behind the Marathon Cooldown run that is discussed here.

€20 for a 5k race is not "cheap". Equally as vague about the charity donation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭DogSlySmile

Peckham wrote: »
    €20 for a 5k race is not "cheap". Equally as vague about the charity donation.

Its €15 for the 5k... not exactly gonna break the bank.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,549 ✭✭✭Peckham

You're correct. I was reading the cost for entering on the day.

Still, some clarity on the charity donation would be appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

IMHO 15 quid is OTT for a 5k and 20 quid for a 10k is equally not on. Still, you pays your money and you takes your chances. Doesn't suit me personally as its too near the DCM.

btw, any day you can run up and around the Little Sugarloaf for free...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 ClickEvents

Peckham wrote: »
    You're correct. I was reading the cost for entering on the day.

Still, some clarity on the charity donation would be appreciated.

Hi Guys

Stephen from Click Events Ltd, a newly formed event management limited company.

I have just noticed this discussion on Boards. Would just like to say, my contact details are on the runireland webpage both my mobile and email. These or any other questions could have been answered directly and would have been answered quicker if I had know that this discussion was taking place. You could have rang Anthony on 0860403739 one of Bray lakers office managers to get an answer either if you thought we were being vague.

Too answer your question we are donating €1.00 for every competitor.

Unbelievable. 1 lousy euro to charity out of €20. Balls to that. I'm pulling out on principle. You should be more up front in the publicity that you're only using the charity as a hook.

IMHO 15 quid is OTT for a 5k and 20 quid for a 10k is equally not on. Still, you pays your money and you takes your chances. Doesn't suit me personally as its too near the DCM.

btw, any day you can run up and around the Little Sugarloaf for free...

Hope you don't mind all the posts just want to answer all issues as best we can.

I agree doing a adventure run of this type with jumps, and other obstacles 3 weeks before the DCM would make no sense, I had to pull out myself due to injury one of the reasons I organised this event.

We are a commercial company and as such are trying to make a profit.

Running the Great Sugarloaf or Little Sugarloaf is free and have done it many times but I hope it will be something special running a very tough and exhilarating course with 100 other people the loafs you can do any day!

• Advertisement

Rinker wrote: »
    Unbelievable. 1 lousy euro to charity out of €20. Balls to that. I'm pulling out on principle. You should be more up front in the publicity that you're only using the charity as a hook.

Hi Rinker

I am sorry that you feel this way. But to give you a better idea this will be about 20 % of our expected profit. Can I draw your attention to:

"The <race name removed> are facilitators for participants to raise large sums of money for charities. The entry fee goes towards paying for numerous items including mementos to successful runners, event logistics and course costs etc. Any contribution made by the event after paying for all the third party costs are used to pay the company overheads. The company is a limited company and operates to make a profit. The company does get involved in worthy causes but it does not allocate a proportion of the entry fee to charity.

Kind Regards

<name removed-OP this looks like a personal email, can you clarify if you have permission from the author to publish her name and content on an online forum-moderator>"

They got 11 000 at €35.00 per competitor. I am expecting 100.

I'm all for enterprise but it should be straight up. If an event is associating itself closely with a charity in its promotion and I want to support the event because of that association I would feel duped when I found out the charity were getting a single euro for it. Thats all. I am always on the look out for events like this in the Dublin Wicklow area but am against using charities in this way. Thats all.
    I hope the event goes well for all who participate

Right! Well this thread is gettin a bit serious for my liking so for anyone who's DOING the race heres a video of the course the organisers made :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtW2_n27nKY

If ClickEvents is reading will the course be marked??

Ta

Right! Well this thread is gettin a bit serious for my liking so for anyone who's DOING the race heres a video of the course the organisers made :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtW2_n27nKY

If ClickEvents is reading will the course be marked??

Ta

Hi DogSlySmile

Yes, we will have the course marked. There will be a 2 colored flag system , all will be explained at race briefing at 9.45.

To all that are coming, don't be late! The gate will be closed at 9.45 and there will be no late entry or ESCAPE

Hope to see you there

Stephen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 kurikuji

hi rinker, are you a rival. the reason i ask is the bitter scrutiny of this event. i have also read with interest both yours and ecoli's comment on this and the marathon cooldown thread and can only come to the conclusion that you are a rival. the cost for this race is relatively cheap, maybe you can list some other races that can rival this with better costings cause i cant but i can remember paying over €35 for a certain 10k in the park. dont get into tris if money is that tight for you. what races do you run at competitive prices???. i am stunned at the criticism leveled at the organisers about the charity. charities are being hit and hit hard these days so anyone that runs a race and gives a donation no matter how big or small deserves praise. the fact that the organiser came on and explained the situation is commendable. i also think you are right to withdraw from the race tinker as you have a choice but from where im standing its a case of throwing your toys out of the pram. by the way i have absolutely no affiliation with the organiser.

Nope kurikuji. I've no affiliations to any event organisers clubs or otherwise. It is commendable for the organisers to respond but none the less I stand by my point about using a charity like this.
    Criticisms are frequently made about races around the country on Boards and defences of the charges are also offered. I can think of threads on the Cliffs of Moher 1/2Marathon, the galway 1/2 marathon and the upcoming Glendalough race as examples. BTW I've never commented on any thread about the price of the marathon cooldown or any other races for that matter. As for reasonably priced adventure type events I can think of run a muck, any imra organised event and the Waterford 1/2 marathon.
    I'm surprised at the venim in your post, especially the tinker comment. After all its all personal choice and I did wish everyone good luck with the event.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Antigrav

Great day for this event, and a good turn out. Marking was superb EXCEPT for that tricky left turn into the forest. Consequently, everyone ran off for a mixture of extra loops from 1-3k above the 5, or 10 you were on. Ooops :rolleyes:

Still, didn't detract much from a great run through demanding singletrack, boggy trenches, and the odd horse jump, which most seemed to just detour around.

Jimmy the Pirate ambled home with his running partner at the front of the pack after adding a few k. I was one of the first to come back on track but couldn't keep those hares from catching up. Nice to be leading for a while though :D

Here here! Great event and everyone was in good spirits!

The only problem as was mentioned was the one dodgy trail marking. I ended up running an 8k instead of a 5k (my calves will be writing a strongly worded letter to the organisers! :p)

I think I finished second in the 5k, but with all the "I ran 8k and you only ran 5k" business I'm not really sure.

Will defo be back next year! :D

DogSlySmile

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭trentv

Antigrav wrote: »
    Marking was superb EXCEPT for that tricky left turn into the forest.

I have to disagree with that, the marking was ample but didn't seem to have any meaning. There were T junctions and a flag planted in the middle of the path.... not just once, all over the place, how are you to interpret that?

It was a good "run", but we paid for a "race" which in the end didn't happen unfortunately, as the organiser mentioned earlier in the posts you can run up and around the loafs for free, but its the race aspect you pay for...

I'd like to see it work, but am disapointed after today, good luck with the next event.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭greenplain

will not be doing anymore events hosted by the crowd that put this on, because of poor marshaling I ended up (along with several others) running an extra 3.5km. It was a joke. You pay good money to run a race and not to have markers down is just p*ss poor.

• Advertisement
Advertisement