Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Light switches..

Options
  • 26-09-2010 8:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭

Hi ye.

I want to jizz up our 5 year old house by replacing the light and sockets switches with chrome or brushed alluminium ones pref the latter. Where would I get them. Dont mention Argos..;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Any decent reputable electrical wholeasler

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Any decent reputable electrical wholeasler

Would they not supply electricians only though and not a one off customer....

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭mazthespark

no they will generally sell to general public too and have a good range to choose from :)

no they will generally sell to general public too and have a good range to choose from :)

Oh do they.. I suppose they will sell to anyone now..:). Any good ones in Cork that ye know of. Are those switches dear and is it a big job to fit them..:)

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭mazthespark

kelliher electrical are in cork i think cost all depends on which ones you go for :) some may be trickier than others to fit if in any doubt get someone who knows what there doing coz one misplaced wire at a switch and one switch could darken half the house :) also make sure the switch it earthed if using metal

• Advertisement

kelliher electrical are in cork i think cost all depends on which ones you go for :) some may be trickier than others to fit if in any doubt get someone who knows what there doing coz one misplaced wire at a switch and one switch could darken half the house :) also make sure the switch it earthed if using metal

Thanks for that. I think thats good advise on getting someone to fit them. I wouldnt feel confident fitting them myself. Dont want to be starting a thread in personal issues forum posting that the wife is leaving me...:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭RJC

I went to O'Dwyer Electircal on Forge Hill. the layout of the shop makes you fell less like an idiot as you don't have to ask dumb questions at the counter. (more like a large supermarket). Ask for the trade price at the checkout - saves at least 10 - 15%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭handydandy

An electrical wholesaler will almost always sell to the public as they also sell electrical items that you would find in the likes of homebase etc also.

One thing to take into consideration with changing your switches etc..
    If you go for the flat plate ones (can be slick looking) they can be a bit of a hassle to install due to there not being enough room in the wall cavity and the amount of cables connected to the switch itself. I have come across a few of these, especially cooker switches can be a nightmare.

RJC wrote: »
    I went to O'Dwyer Electircal on Forge Hill. the layout of the shop makes you fell less like an idiot as you don't have to ask dumb questions at the counter. (more like a large supermarket). Ask for the trade price at the checkout - saves at least 10 - 15%

Cheers lad. I went there to day and got the flat plate ones. Cost over 800 euro including discount..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

well -hope you got the depth for them

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Yea they can be a right nuisance because the flat plate ones especially need more depth than standard ones.

M cebee wrote: »
    well -hope you got the depth for them

So far so good!!. I have a timber frame so thats a help!!!.

Advertisement