Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bad Accidents & Close Calls?

• 26-09-2010 8:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I've never had a really bad accident (thank God), but I had a really close call a few years ago... I used to drive a Vespa - a really lovely 1980 vintage Italian one, but it was a bastard to stay safe on when it was raining or icy, as the weight of the engine in the back gave it a tendency to slide when cornering.

Anyway - one day on my way to work, a car pulled out in front of me, the bike hit the front of the car & I went head-first over the bonnet & landed on the other side of the car.

Another car, coming in the other direction, saw me on the road & managed to brake just in time to stop from driving over my head as I was on the ground.

It was a close call indeed - one which I walked away from with just a few grazes & bruises.

So, have you ever been in a bad accident, or had a close call?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

I almost clicked into this thread blah blah..only kidding...

I once slipped on a mountain's edge and fell, grabbed the top of it and was pulled up by some mates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

I once told my missus i though she looked fat in "that" dress.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

I once slipped on a mountain's edge and fell, grabbed the top of it and was pulled up by some mates.

Was one of them John Lithgow? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

I was almost in a plane crash once. Didn't even know it until after we were already safe, so not like crazy scary... but makes you think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

I was in a bad car crash last year on the way to Dublin had to be brought to hospital and my heart rate dropped rapidly and had to get shocks straight to the heart. Very scary!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Pookah

I was in a motorbike in town a few years back, in the lashing rain, when, as I was going round a corner, a guy pulled a u-turn in front of me.

I slammed on, the bike went, and I went sliding up the road, in tracksuit bottoms, and smacked in to your man's car.

It tore a fair bit of skin off my leg, wrecked the bike, and then your man has the cheek to get out of the car and start going on about the damage my head did to his car when it hit off his side-panelling. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭ChopShop

Summer 96, i was working for a data warehousing company.

Went to open the motorised shutter of one of the warehouses.

Shutter stops half way up, 6 inch diameter metal gear/cog falls from about 12 foot above me and lands 6 inches in front of my feet.

Ever since then i've learned to make the most of every da... oh wait not i haven't.

The pay was crap too.

Nearly had one this morning myself.

Just managed to find a jacks in the shopping centre in time.

Damn Guinness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,711 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Walked out in front of a tram once, just daydreaming, not looking where I was going...

Tram was a write-off.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

I've had numerous close calls:

When I was younger, say around 10 or so, a friend and I were climbing down into some boats that were located at the pier with the tide out. I was leaning over the edge watching my friend climb down when I fell. It was a good 12 foot drop and, about half way down, I managed to grab on to a rope and slid down, badly burning the hell out my palms. Had I not grabbed on to the rope, I would have fallen head first into the boat.

Few years later I was out cycling and was trying out my new cycling shoes that clip into the peddles and was out on a real narrow country roads. Next thing you know this truck comes up the other way so I pull in. Only at this point I hadn't perfected the art of getting my feet out yet, and I lose balance, narrowly missing the wheels of the truck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭Princess Zelda

Was meant to work in Omagh the day of the bombing. The area I was meant to work in was a promotion near where the bomb was. I didn't go because the person who was meant to drive a group of us up got a last minute holiday, so another company took the job. They showed up late, just after the bomb went off and they couldn't get into the town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

I was knocked unconscious and suffered concussion in a tobogganing accident on a mountain in Norway!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Devil08

I was once eating some chips and I picked up the salt to shake some on but it was actually the pepper!!! I just about managed to turn it back up the right way before the pepper dispensed all over my chips! I put it down and picked up the salt this time and continued to dispense the salt then. It was so close though! I could have ruined my chips.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Pookah wrote: »
    your man has the cheek to get out of the car and start going on about the damage my head did to his car when it hit off his side-panelling. :pac:

What a complete & utter wanker.

The guy whose car I hit was the total opposite. His only concern was for my well being... he wanted to ring an ambulance, but I wouldn't let him - I was grand & I was more concerned about being late for a meeting!

His car was fairly wrecked too, but he said he'd pay for any damage to my bike or any hospital or doctors bills. And to be honest - it wasn't totally his fault... I was overtaking on the outside of stopped traffic & he probably didn't see me as it was bucketing down.

Anyhow, I rang him later that day to let him know that I was OK & he was really relieved. He was sound, unlike the f*cker you ran into.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭Cakes.

I fell out of a Kayak while going down the river Liffey. I didn't even have time to pull the cover but all i can remember is standing on a ledge screaming and climbing up a ladder to get back to the part above the weir I fell out on, it was dead old and I thought I was going to fall into the water again. I was only 12. It was scary. Was a bit shaken up after it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Was in Rathmines back in the '90s at 3 in the morning and a group of men were standing in an empty street looking at me. One guy had an uzi sticking out of his jacket. Was too tired to be bothered!

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭dashboard_hula

Me + Dad vs. articulated truck.

Trucks arse went across the road going around a bend at speed, back of it caught the car and sent us upside down into a ditch.

999 Lady: "Do you require the Guards, an ambulance or the fire brigade?"
    Me: "ALL OF 'EM!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

I was run over while on a pathway, as a youngster...broke 7 bones including an indent fracture of the skull. Explains a lot. :p

Last year a lorry changed lanes on the motorway and tried to occupy the same part of the road we were already driving in...completely mashed our car which ended up facing the wrong way up an embankment but thankfully the traffic wasn't going anywhere near motorway speed or I doubt any of us would be here now. My daughter was closest to where the lorry first hit us and her car seat was cracked in three places. Scary biscuits. :(

Id say you needed a new pair of pants as well...

Devil08 wrote: »
    Id say you needed a new pair of pants as well...

Yep, a new car, two new car seats and four new pairs of pants. :D

• Advertisement

I was actually refering to Dashboard Hulas story but you could equally do with new pants I suppose!

:o Sorry, I should have checked the times of postings before assuming it was aimed at me. My bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

I almost clicked into this thread blah blah..only kidding...

Same here. Shat myself

Articulated lorry, overtaking at a junction, smashed into the peugot 106 I was traveling in. There were fatalities but I got away with a broken sternum from the seatbelt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

I was run over while on a pathway, as a youngster...broke 7 bones including an indent fracture of the skull. Explains a lot. :p

Jeez...how were you run over????

Jeez...how were you run over????

A motorbike mowed me down & literally run up my left side when I was five, not sure why or how it all happened - it was a hit and run on the pathway in a park that went between two roads. :mad:

A motorbike mowed me down & literally run up my left side when I was five, not sure why or how it all happened - it was a hit and run on the pathway in a park that went between two roads. :mad:

:eek:

That's scary

Ya gotta be a decent soul to run over a 5 year old, leave him a heap, and fly off...nice guy alright!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Was in the jacks in Mcdonalds and this thick stumpy set fcuker hosed out out a streel of loose midden into the washbasin.

Could have been contaminated by the backwash.

Bang of gherkins and onions nearly fugged the kip up.:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭Erica<3

On a horse and he slipped on black ice, and fell on his side with my left leg underneath him.

I lay there for about 15 minutes, crying in the blistering cold and the snow thinking i'd never walk again because i could feel nothing in my left leg, no pain, zilch.

Luckily I only had to wear a knee brace after for a few weeks. I was VERY lucky.

Devil08 wrote: »
    I was actually refering to Dashboard Hulas story but you could equally do with new pants I suppose!

I did - The windows buckled and the nurses came after me with a dustbuster in A&E because glass went absolutely everywhere!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

I was playing indoor football when I was 9. It was training, but it hadn't really started yet, so we were just messing around, I was in goals. Someone scored (I'm a really, really bad goalkeeper) and while attempting to retrieve the ball from the net, something which really shouldn't have been a difficult procedure, I somehow got my foot caught in the netting. I then tried to get it out, but I only succeeded in pulling the goal down on top of me. They were big, heavy, metal posts, and it only just missed my head.

Did land on my arm though, which wrecked. Spent 7 hours in Loughlinstown A&E with my mum getting increasingly stressed until we just left and went home. Couldn't move my right arm for about a week, but could have been a lot worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 434 ✭✭c-note

i was once gored by a bull in a feild while my father was showing bulls to a prospective customer,

i didnt even have time to let out a shout he was that quick.
    i cant tell you exactly what happened but i remember being properly airbourne at least twice,

when my father saw, he and the man ran towards the bull, who paid no heed, my father grabbed a 3 pronged pitch fork from the jeep and had to jab it into the bulls side before he disisted.

i had some quite impressive bruising for a few weeks, but the man who was with my father said that he was quite worried the bull had hit my head while i was on the ground, he was surprised to find me concious. the bull had avoided my head and got my shoulders/back/arms and chest and not my head.

The bull wasnt old at the time, maybe 15 months,
    He had a quick trip to McDonalds after that, and my father presented me with the ring from his nose which i still have.

i've just thought of another!

I was drawing corn late at night and had just pulled into a feild which had a slight downhill slope.
    parked straight in front of me, at right angles to my tractor was another tractor and trailer.
    i stopped my tractor just inside the feild, applied the parking brake and went to talk to the other driver.
    i opened the door of his cab and stood on the steps into his cab
    was chatting for at least 5 minutes when the other driver, yelled "f**king jump", i looked behind to see my tractor carrerring twards me, i jumped clear and it hit the side of the second tractor, mangling the steps where seconds earlier i had been standing. close!

ahh farming

Last year a lorry changed lanes on the motorway and tried to occupy the same part of the road we were already driving in...completely mashed our car which ended up facing the wrong way up an embankment but thankfully the traffic wasn't going anywhere near motorway speed or I doubt any of us would be here now. My daughter was closest to where the lorry first hit us and her car seat was cracked in three places. Scary biscuits. :(

Was your daughter alright? Christ above that must have been terrifying...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Not me but my mum, sis and bro were in a car accident. My bro was going back to boarding school and some f**ker in an uninsured car took a corner to fast and crashed into the driver side of the car. The car was completely written off and my mum was told if she had been in a small car (she was driving a Seat Alhambra) that she wouldn't have survived. She had three broken ribs, my sis had a burn from the seat belt and my brother was fine, just very shaken. Worst past of it all was when the ambulance arrived, they didn't even look at my family, just went over to the guy in the other car who broke his leg. My mum had to ring my dad to come out and bring her into the hospital - where they told her she was just bruised. She was in pure agony for a week and kept saying her ribs were definitely broken, so we brought her back and they confirmed she had broken 3 ribs - nothing they could do but at least she knew it wasn't in her head!

In a way it was a blessing in disguise because if my mum hadn't been driving the guy would have come off the road and hit some kids that were playing on a grass verge beside the road.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

I was driving along the Nangor Road in Clondalkin a good few years ago, 3 stolen cars flew past me but the last one cut in front of me to avoid a traffic island and lost control and crashed - I hope he posts here so I can call him a ****.

I was fine btw, trucks > Toyota Corollas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Broke a red light and nearly mowed down 2 junkies and their kid - missed them by like a foot -

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Broke a red light and nearly mowed down 2 junkies and their kid - missed them by like a foot -

Pity...

Was your daughter alright? Christ above that must have been terrifying...

Yeah, she got checked over but was fine, the seats are supposed to crack to absorb impacts - we were very, very lucky that we were going relatively slowly & all impact bars, crumple zones and air bags did their jobs admirably and other than giving me an everlasting fear of overtaking large trucks, we're all fine. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 crixus veritas

Was driving in mountains in Spain, well father was, 3 of us in the back. Were stuck on a narrow winding road behind a bus load of kids who were gesticulating constantly. Anyway we get a chance to pass, and after we do the mother says hope we dont regret doing that - 2 bends later we slip off road and slam into side of mountain, but fortunately wheel got stuck in a small storm drain, otherwise we would have bounced off that side across the narrow road and drop a couple of hundred feet to the bottom.

Another day, was bringing young fella to see the inlaws in Poland. Was in Cork airport, had just handed over ticket and was about to step onto the savage high and long escalator, with the tiny baby in my hands, when i put one foot on but wasn't sure of my balance so teetered awkwardly and it looked and felt like we were about to plummet - a few people queing actually gasped or shouted at what looked like was going to happen - anyway somehow managed to launch other foot back onto solid ground and throw myself back off the escalator. To this day i still get palpitations at the thought i nearly killed my young fella.

Didnt dodge the married to a tempermental, cranky, non-sport loving, wagon though, but swings and roundabouts i suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,046 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Been in a couple of weird car crunches:
    • Age 4, Scotland, Dad rolled the Morris Minor when a tyre blew as we were coming out of a bend. I was tossed around the back like a sock in a tumble dryer, but had only a few minor bruises.
    • On my 16th birthday, we were returning from dinner in a restaurant, when a minibus cut a corner at high speed and clipped our car. A foot closer, I could have had my legs crushed, but the car took the force and I was unhurt. One of the mag. wheels was smashed to pieces, which says something. :eek:

Ye Hypocrites, are these your pranks
    To murder men and gie God thanks?
    Desist for shame, proceed no further
    God won't accept your thanks for murder.

―Robert Burns

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

went on a crazy day retreat in paris ontario with the local indians (cowboy and indians type indians),so they brought us on canoes down a river and brought some stuff for a bbq which was in my boat all tied up.Well to cut the story the boat over turned and i caught my foot on the rope holding all the bbq stuff while it went through rapids,i was banging my head of rocks and being brought under the water all the time,i couldn't catch my breath or anything and i actually thought i was going to die.

DON'T TRUST INDIANS WITH BBQ EQUIPMENT!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭kielmanator

Before anyone thinks of saying it, I'm not stereotyping, or being racist.

Back when I was 17, I'd just had my provisional licence a few weeks and was heading home with my mam at lunch time for a bite to eat. For the record she was driving a 02 reg Toyota Avensis (thank God).

Now, to describe where I live is difficult. The road to our house is cutting through a big woods and it is a very steep, bendy road.

So we were trotting along at about 30 k/ph and we came to the last major incline on our journey, which is about 200m from my house. It is also a completely blind corner.

Just as we approached the bend, WHAM!

A Polish guy driving a 90's series BMW (RWD) slapped head on into us at about 45MPH.

I was lucky because I had my chair so far back to stretch my legs, the seatbelt was really slack. I was reading at the time though, so my fingers got broke off the airbag. I was hemmed in by the ditch on my side, and my mam was bolloxed so I had to kick out the windscreen. I then dragged her out of the car because I saw fluid under the car and I thought it was petrol (turned out to be water from the radiator).

Of course the bellend in the other car was only concerned about picking up his bits and pieces and going back to work.:mad:

Ambulance, gards, fire truck all arrived anyway.

He got put off the road for four years.

Me and mam lived.

Seriously lucky that the Avensis had a long front to absorb the impact. Funnily enough, the insurance company wanted to give my mam a Nissan Micra as a cover car while we waited for things to settle. Feckin' eejits.

EDIT: I wasn't driving, just in case you think I was reading and driving.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Before anyone thinks of saying it, I'm not stereotyping, or being racist.

Back when I was 17, I'd just had my provisional licence a few weeks and was heading home with my mam at lunch time for a bite to eat. For the record she was driving a 02 reg Toyota Avensis (thank God).

Now, to describe where I live is difficult. The road to our house is cutting through a big woods and it is a very steep, bendy road.

So we were trotting along at about 30 k/ph and we came to the last major incline on our journey, which is about 200m from my house. It is also a completely blind corner.

Just as we approached the bend, WHAM!

A Polish guy driving a 90's series BMW (RWD) slapped head on into us at about 45MPH.

I was lucky because I had my chair so far back to stretch my legs, the seatbelt was really slack. I was reading at the time though, so my fingers got broke off the airbag. I was hemmed in by the ditch on my side, and my mam was bolloxed so I had to kick out the windscreen. I then dragged her out of the car because I saw fluid under the car and I thought it was petrol (turned out to be water from the radiator).

Of course the bellend in the other car was only concerned about picking up his bits and pieces and going back to work.:mad:

Ambulance, gards, fire truck all arrived anyway.

He got put off the road for four years.

Me and mam lived.

Seriously lucky that the Avensis had a long front to absorb the impact. Funnily enough, the insurance company wanted to give my mam a Nissan Micra as a cover car while we waited for things to settle. Feckin' eejits.

EDIT: I wasn't driving, just in case you think I was reading and driving.
    you'd be suprised at the amount of people you'd actually see reading and driving on motorways,serious gob****es

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

I was nearly shot dead when out hunting after a person with us fell. Stupid ****er didn't have his gun on safety. Still have a scar running about 2 inches along the top of my skull where the bullet slightly grazed my head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

RMD wrote: »
    I was nearly shot dead when out hunting after a person with us fell. Stupid ****er didn't have his gun on safety. Still have a scar running about 2 inches along the top of my skull where the bullet slightly grazed my head.
    Teaches you to go hunting with Dick Cheney!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

GOING to bed the other night, I heard
    5 cats who were stuck on top of my roof,
    I phoned the fire station but was told
    no one was in the area to help.
    They said they would send someone
    over as soon as possible.
    I hung up. A minute later, I rang again.
    ‘Hello,’ I said, ‘I called you a minute ago
    because there were cats on my roof.
    You don’t have to hurry now, because I’ve burned them alive.’
    Within minutes there were 4 fire brigades trucks,
    2 squad cars in the area, plus the garda helicopter
    and the emergency response unit.
    They saw there were no cats left.
    One of the firemen said:
    ‘Why did you burn them?’
    To which I replied:
    ‘I thought you said there was no one available.’

Then again, it might have been just a dream ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Didnt dodge the married to a tempermental, cranky, non-sport loving, wagon though, but swings and roundabouts i suppose.

Eh... no-one forced you to marry her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭Pretty_Pistol

When I was younger I was on a theme park ride in the States with my brother. When the rollercoaster car went upside down I nearly fell out of it, at about 25+ feet up in the air, luckily my brother caught me and pulled me back in and held on to me until it finished.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭policarp

When I was younger I was on a theme park ride in the States with my brother. When the rollercoaster car went upside down I nearly fell out of it, at about 25+ feet up in the air, luckily my brother caught me and pulled me back in and held on to me until it finished.

What kind of cheese was that?

• Advertisement
Advertisement